Remote wireless access

Old August 4th 04, 10:47 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Chris

Default Remote wireless access

I've got broadband with USB modem in an office building.
I need to connect more PCs and 2 are remote.
I think I need to get something like a Netgear DG834 ADSL router (without
wireless).
And because of range difficulties cable a cat5 cable 50 metres to a wireless
access point such as Netgear WG902. Then have a wireless adaptor such as
Netgear WG121 in 2 remote PCs.
Does this seem reasonable and will this work with these components
Many thanks for your help
Regards
Chris

Old August 4th 04, 11:06 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Geoff Lane

On Wed, 4 Aug 2004 20:47:08 +0000 (UTC), "Chris"
wrote:

I've got broadband with USB modem in an office building.
I need to connect more PCs and 2 are remote.
I think I need to get something like a Netgear DG834 ADSL router (without
wireless).
And because of range difficulties cable a cat5 cable 50 metres to a wireless
access point such as Netgear WG902. Then have a wireless adaptor such as
Netgear WG121 in 2 remote PCs.
Does this seem reasonable and will this work with these components
Many thanks for your help
Regards

Don't expect too much from WiFi and you wont be disappointed.

The ranges are seldom anywhere near what they claim is possible on the
box.

I've got a mixed network, I am presently about 30 feet from my Access
Point (Netgear AP and PC Card) and the signal is poor but even poor is
normally good enough for internet access.

I've heard that USB modems can be difficult to use with networks.

Geoff Lane

Old August 5th 04, 12:29 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
John Steele

Don't expect too much from WiFi and you wont be disappointed.

The ranges are seldom anywhere near what they claim is possible on the
box.

I've got a mixed network, I am presently about 30 feet from my Access
Point (Netgear AP and PC Card) and the signal is poor but even poor is
normally good enough for internet access.

Look at
http://www.freeantennas.com/

The parabolic antenna more than doubled my range for the cost of a bit of
cardboard, some kitchen foil, a Pritt stick and about 15 minutes!

I am using it on a Netgear WG602 Access Point to a Dell laptop.

John Steele