Cannot find USB ADSL Modem... help please!

Old August 5th 04, 03:16 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Richard Kenward

Default Cannot find USB ADSL Modem... help please!

Apologies if this is too basic a question for here but I'm stuck! So
frustrating having run the local BB campaign here and now today am
connected but cannot select the USB Westell 36R305 modem in dial up
networking box in Win ME. It only shows my old dial up modem! I just
cannot find a way of getting the modem seen here though I suspect it is
correctly installed and working...UGH!

I can only find a mention of an ADSL modem under Network adapters in
Device Manager where I have it along with Dial-Up Adapter, GlobeSpan USB
ADSL LAN Modem and SiS 900 PCI Fast Ethernet Adapter. The power and the
ready lights are on steady on the modem. On the task bar are the two
green up and down arrows, and clicking on this icon brings up the
GlobeSpan DSL Modem info boxes. This shows the Link Status green, and
non data activity but in the transmit box 288 and the receive 576 kbps.
Every now and then both receive and send lights blink. Any ideas would
be very much appreciatedBG

Many thanks

Richard

PS I have already posted a plea for help on the ADSL guide forums but no
help so far.

--
Richard Kenward
Old August 5th 04, 01:06 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Richard Kenward

In message Thu, 5 Aug 2004, john writes
Set up your ADSL modem using the Windows Network Setup Wizard which can be
found in Accessories/communications.
You might need to disable your firewall while the wizard detects your modem.

Dear John

Thanks for that. Unfortunately it does not help me in this instance.
Perhaps I have not explained properly so I will have another stab at it.

I understand how one would normally configure a new modem by going via
various routs to the Make New Connection. This is where you assign a
name for your new connection and then select from the drop down your
modem. It's this step that causes the trouble because my ADSL modem
fails to show up there and I have found no way of achieving this though
I have removed the modem/software closed down and started all over again
more than once.

The only strange thing on installing the modem is this. Part way
through it asks me for the file ndiswan however on doing a file search I
find ndiswan.vxd already in the windows-system directory. However
after going round and round the modem installs and appears in the list
under Network Adapters rather than under Modems. Is this the problem?

Many thanks

Richard
--
Richard Kenward
Old August 5th 04, 02:52 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Richard Kenward

In message Thu, 5 Aug 2004, Richard Kenward writes
[...]

Just a quick update. Just spoken to my new ADSL ISP (Eclipse) and they
have confirmed that as far as they can tell my connection and modem are
fine. They also say that I should not need to add it in Dial up
Networking though the instructions that came with the modem say that I
should and as you will have seen in my previous post I cannot.

My new ISP do not unfortunately support this modem and the manufacturers
Westell no long support it to individuals so I am stuck!

Cheers

Richard
--
Richard Kenward
Old August 6th 04, 04:10 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

On Thu, 05 Aug 2004 12:52:04 GMT, Richard Kenward
wrote:

[...]

Let's start from square one: does Windows recognise the USB modem?

Didn't the modem come with some installation software?

If your ISP does not provide decent advice, then try one of the others
to see if that helps.

I use Pipex, which has reasonably good advice. (Ignore the bits that
asks you to log in to see what is in there.)

http://www.xtreme.pipex.net/adsl/support

In particular, it tells you how to set up a dialup connection for
ADSL. (Don't forget, they wrote Windows ME before ADSL entered the
consumer market.)

Have you found the place where you need to enter your username and
password? My guess is that you have connected to the ADSL but that you
need to work out how to log in.

Michael Kenward

Michael Kenward Words for sale