Help getting wireless setup !! Any help/idiot guides welcomed!

Old August 5th 04, 11:35 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
samantha dixon

Default Help getting wireless setup !! Any help/idiot guides welcomed!

HI There
My set up is

USB Broadband Model (from plus.net!) which connect to a PC I just
bought

I ordered the PCwith the Netgear MA311 Wireless PCI Adapter card in as
I thought that after attaching the USB Modem to the PC with the
Netgear MA311 Wireless PCI Adapter built in and just turning on the
Wirelesss access switch on my sony vaio would allow my vaio to access
my PC connection!

As this PC is "always on" i thought thats all i would need?

Can anyone help me get my Vaio to recognise my new PC?

Many Thanks
Old August 5th 04, 01:18 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Stephen Haley

Not as easy as that I am afraid. You will need to set up the computer as a
router then use peer to peer on the wireless. All somewhat painfull I am
afraid. In addition you should install firewall software on the main PC.
To be brutally honest you would be better going and getting an adsl
modem/wireless router at circa 80 (like netgear 834G) as this will be
easier to manage and provide rudimentary firewall and probably better
wireless security.
You dont state what operating systems you are running on the two Pcs (if its
not XP then bluntly I would definately go with a new modem/router as ICS on
98/ME is flaky at best)
To set up pc as a router see
http://www.practicallynetworked.com/sharing/xp_ics/
To set up the wireless as peer to peer see your manuals as it can be diff
for each amnufacturer.
A seperate router will be easier, more flexible, faster & consume less
electricty. It is unlikely that you will manage to get ICQ, Messenger or
any other such programs to run over ICS.

rgds
Stephen

Old August 5th 04, 04:29 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Simon Pleasants

On 5 Aug 2004 03:35:11 -0700, (samantha
dixon) wrote:

HI There
My set up is

USB Broadband Model (from plus.net!) which connect to a PC I just
bought

I ordered the PCwith the Netgear MA311 Wireless PCI Adapter card in as
I thought that after attaching the USB Modem to the PC with the
Netgear MA311 Wireless PCI Adapter built in and just turning on the
Wirelesss access switch on my sony vaio would allow my vaio to access
my PC connection!

As this PC is "always on" i thought thats all i would need?

Can anyone help me get my Vaio to recognise my new PC?

Hello Samantha,

As outlined by Stephen in his post, there is a hard way of doing this
and a (much) less hard way. It seems that you are doing this the hard
way.

You'd be better advised to bin (or at least reduce to "reverse"
status) the USB modem and replace it with a proper wireless ADSL
router. Expect to pay 60-100 for standard consumer unit. This
completely replaces the frustrations of ICS with a piece of dedicated
hardware. Most units set themselves up, it will be attached to the
internet permanently, so if you wish to browse directly from the
laptop the desktop does not even need to be switched on.

I got broadband before I had another computer to share it with (given
that I'd broken one and not bought the other at the time) but even so
disliked my Alcatel USB modem for no other reason than it still
required dialing the internet so it pretty much just felt like a fast
dial up connection. Now as soon as I power any of the machines up
they immediately log into the network and the internet - it's like
being on a company LAN really.

In addition to the above the router provides provides the IP
addresses, firewall and other wireless network security measures
necessary.