Broadband Voice

Old August 5th 04, 01:14 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Steve

Default Broadband Voice

Not quite on topic, but as a `country member' I find best advice on this
group.

Has anyone any experience of BT's Broadband Voice telephone through
broadband's quality? They says it's as good a a mobile phone, but only offer
a minimum of 12 months contract. So although it has the potential to be very
useful, I'm a little bit wary of it.

Old August 5th 04, 02:46 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Martyn Dewar

Steve wrote:

Not quite on topic, but as a `country member' I find best advice on this
group.

Has anyone any experience of BT's Broadband Voice telephone through
broadband's quality? They says it's as good a a mobile phone, but only offer
a minimum of 12 months contract. So although it has the potential to be very
useful, I'm a little bit wary of it.

IIRC if you buy the hardware (a cisco ata-186 which can be used on other
services usually, or a fujitsu unit) the contract is reduced to 3 months.

From what i've heard (over at adslguide's voip forum) quality seems to
be good

Old August 5th 04, 02:59 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Si.

Don't bother with BT's version - I use Skype to talk to relatives and
friends.

www.skype.com

you can also use it to call land lines both at home and abroad - with
excellent quality and at tiny call rates compared to BT's international
rates.

Si.

Old August 5th 04, 03:39 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Ian Stirling

Si. wrote:
Don't bother with BT's version - I use Skype to talk to relatives and
friends.

www.skype.com

you can also use it to call land lines both at home and abroad - with
excellent quality and at tiny call rates compared to BT's international
rates.

Where the BT unit is nice is that you buy it, take it wherever in the
world you want, and friends/relatives/... can just ring a UK number,
with no knowledge that it's different in any way from any other UK landline.
Old August 5th 04, 06:08 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Mark Turner

Steve wrote:

Has anyone any experience of BT's Broadband Voice telephone through
broadband's quality? They says it's as good a a mobile phone, but only offer
a minimum of 12 months contract. So although it has the potential to be very
useful, I'm a little bit wary of it.

BT's service isn't the only option. There's a list of UK VOIP providers
at http://www.voip-info.org/wiki-VoIP+Service+Providers. I can recommend
InterViVo (http://www.intervivo.net, pay monthly, cancel after a month
if you don't like it, software only option to try it out with minimum
investment) but then I would 'cos I work there.

Cheers,

Mark.
Old August 5th 04, 06:33 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
poster

On 05 Aug 2004, in uk.telecom.broadband, Ian Stirling wrote:

can just ring a UK number, with no knowledge that it's different
in any way from any other UK landline.

until the 5p/min charge is spotted. Peter M

--
com/org/info/biz domains as low as $5.00/year
com/org/info/biz transfers give 12 month extension
Old August 5th 04, 07:18 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Paul Landregan

"Steve" wrote in message
Not quite on topic, but as a `country member' I find best advice on this
group.

Has anyone any experience of BT's Broadband Voice telephone through
broadband's quality? They says it's as good a a mobile phone, but only

offer
a minimum of 12 months contract. So although it has the potential to be

very
useful, I'm a little bit wary of it.

Quality at Hi setting is indistinguishable from a normal phone. Reqs
110kbitof your BW.
Lo quality is 43kbit, and is still much better than my mobie. Perfectly
acceptable. Even for my fax machine.

Old August 5th 04, 11:43 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
will kemp

On Thu, 05 Aug 2004 17:08:24 +0100, Mark Turner wrote:

I can recommend
InterViVo (http://www.intervivo.net, pay monthly, cancel after a month
if you don't like it, software only option to try it out with minimum
investment) but then I would 'cos I work there.

it looks good! but does it work with linux?

will

Old August 6th 04, 05:51 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Chris Blunt

On Thu, 5 Aug 2004 13:59:57 +0100, "Si." wrote:

Don't bother with BT's version - I use Skype to talk to relatives and
friends.

www.skype.com

you can also use it to call land lines both at home and abroad - with
excellent quality and at tiny call rates compared to BT's international
rates.

Except Skype use a proprietary protocol so you have to use it with
their software running on a PC. With BT BBV you can use it with a
normal phone and it doesn't require a PC to be on all the time.

Chris

Old August 6th 04, 09:03 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Mark Turner

will kemp wrote:

it looks good! but does it work with linux?

If you choose one of the hardware options (we recommend/supply the
Grandstream ATA286 or BT101/BT102) then yes because it doesn't touch the
Linux box. If you'd prefer to run a "soft phone" then anything that
supports SIP *should* work but I'm afraid I don't know off the top of
my head which Linux soft phones work with our service.

I was going to test a few Linux soft phones before posting this reply
then I realised that none of my Linux boxes have soundcards, or at least
not ones that Linux is configured to use.

Cheers,

Mark.