Can my line support 2mb?

Old August 5th 04, 09:07 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
jamie

Default Can my line support 2mb?

hi,

i was just wondering if anyone can help advise me if my line can support
1 or 2mb, i'm not currently planning to regrade just yet as after being
stuck on 56k for years 512k is plently fast for now.

but i will at some point in the future look to go faster, i know its all
about the line quality and SNR/Attenuation but i'm not sure what the
limits are.

the BT line checker says i can probably get upto 2mb, but i know this is
not 100% accurate.

my current SNR margin is 40.1dB downstream and 30.0dB upstream and the
Attenuation 41.3dB downstream and 21.0dB upstream

i beileve those figures aren't helped by the 30m extension i am using,
but i don't really have any other way to connect it otherwise.

would my line in its current state be able to support 1 or 2mb?

thanks
Old August 6th 04, 12:31 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Chris Jones

but i will at some point in the future look to go faster, i know its all
about the line quality and SNR/Attenuation but i'm not sure what the
limits are.

The current limit is 41 dB for the 1 and 2 Mb services; however, as part of
the extended reach trial the limit for 1 Mb is likely to be increased to 60
dB in the next couple of months.

Old August 6th 04, 01:03 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Frank X

"chris" wrote in message
On Thu, 05 Aug 2004 20:07:22 +0100 and in article 4112848c$0$60170
, jamie said...
: my current SNR margin is 40.1dB downstream and 30.0dB upstream and the
: Attenuation 41.3dB downstream and 21.0dB upstream
:
On those figures (if correct) you'll get 2mbit no probs.

I have been unable to get it with a downstream attenuation between 41 and
42db.

Old August 6th 04, 10:20 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Frank X

"chris" wrote in message
On Fri, 6 Aug 2004 00:03:22 +0100 and in article [email protected]
berlin.de, Frank X said...
: "chris" wrote in message
: ...
: On Thu, 05 Aug 2004 20:07:22 +0100 and in article 4112848c$0$60170
: , jamie said...
: : my current SNR margin is 40.1dB downstream and 30.0dB upstream and
the
: : Attenuation 41.3dB downstream and 21.0dB upstream
: :
: On those figures (if correct) you'll get 2mbit no probs.
:
: I have been unable to get it with a downstream attenuation between 41
and
: 42db.
:
Where did you get those figures from, though? If they're from your
router you can dismiss them as they're not 100% accurate.

The figurest are from my NETGEAR DG834G router. I understand what you are
saying about needing a proper (full spectrum) scan to be sure but it seems
BT can't be bothered.

I was also initially rejected for ADSL, however when the engineer came round
and fitted my RADSL he told me my line would have passed the original ADSL
test.

Doesn't do me any good though does it

Old August 6th 04, 11:29 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Sunil Sood

"Frank X" wrote in message

The figurest are from my NETGEAR DG834G router. I understand what you
are saying about needing a proper (full spectrum) scan to be sure but
it seems BT can't be bothered.

BT don't currently have the equipment in place to carry out a proper (full
spectrum) scan on their ADSL network - though they have ordered it.

At the moment, its only LLU operators who can do this..

Regards
Sunil