SNR/Attenuation

Old August 6th 04, 12:43 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
cw

Default SNR/Attenuation

I haven't really paid that much attention to the stats on my line until
recently as our new replacement router provides the stats. I got a little
confused with figuring them out at first because nothing seemed to match
up with what other people were posting here. People seem to have much
lower SNR and much higher attenuation that I do..would I be right in
thinking that the following figures are actually pretty damn good for a
line?
Downstream Upstream
SNR Margin 39.7 31.0 dB
Line Attenuation 11.6 7.0 dB

The main reason I'm asking is that I may upgrade from 512 if I get the
money. From what I understand with the limits of just over 40dB for 1/2
Mbit then the attenuation of 11.6 is well within the bounds and
remarkably good..

--
Colin
Old August 6th 04, 11:11 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter Ingason

I have also been wondering about this. My Speedtouch router gives me the
following information:

Attenuation (dB) up/down = 31 / 53
Noise Margin (dB) up/down = 26 / 31

The BT checker says that I can only get 512 due to the length that I am from
the exchange but I was wondering if my line is good enough to support 1MB
assuming I could find a ISP that does a manual order?

Compared to yours my line seems noisier though...

--
Peter

Old August 6th 04, 11:25 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Sunil Sood

"cw" wrote in message

I haven't really paid that much attention to the stats on my line
until recently as our new replacement router provides the stats. I
got a little confused with figuring them out at first because nothing
seemed to match up with what other people were posting here. People
seem to have much lower SNR and much higher attenuation that I
do..would I be right in thinking that the following figures are
actually pretty damn good for a line?

Yes - very good.

Regards
Sunil

Old August 6th 04, 11:27 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Sunil Sood

"Peter Ingason" wrote in message

I have also been wondering about this. My Speedtouch router gives me
the following information:

Attenuation (dB) up/down = 31 / 53
Noise Margin (dB) up/down = 26 / 31

The BT checker says that I can only get 512 due to the length that I
am from the exchange but I was wondering if my line is good enough to
support 1MB assuming I could find a ISP that does a manual order?

Assuming the routers readings are accurate, you won't get 1MB at the
moment - even with a manual order.. you are quite far out

However, if BT do change the 1MB limit to 60dB later this year, you will
then qualify.

Regards
Sunil