Help with ridiculous BT situation

Old August 6th 04, 11:32 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Tony Raven

Default Help with ridiculous BT situation

Wonder if anyone can help with a ridiculous situation I find myself in
with BT on a Home Highway ISDN to ADSL (Nildram) managed conversion.
The situation is exacerbated by the further ridiculous situation that BT
are blocking access to any of their 0800 customer numbers by my mobile
phone company and I am away from a landline at the moment.

Anyway the problem is that BT are telling Nildram that installation
cannot go ahead because there is incompatible equipment on the line.
They will not tell them what the incompatible equipment is (because they
say they cannot discuss customers details with a third party). When I
got to talk to someone in BT they said that because I was not using them
as a service provider they were unable to do the checking on what the
incompatible equipment was. They told me it was a BT Wholesale issue
but BT Wholesale do not talk to the public.

My suspicion is that its the Home Highway box as there is nothing more
than a standard telephone and BT Caller Display box on the line
otherwise plus when I had earlier talked to BT Broadband about the
conversion (before I discovered managed conversion) they found the line,
Home Highway apart, was fine.

Somehow I need to break out of this Catch 22 loop in BT. Does anyone
know of who I should be contacting or any other suggestions?

Tony
Old August 6th 04, 01:06 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Omney

Looks like Nildram are not doing their job properly, take a look at what my
ISP (Metronet) says about ISDN

http://support.metronet.co.uk/sales/adsl.xhtml1#isdn

Take note off the 50 + vat charge from BT

Best of Luck

Old August 6th 04, 01:11 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Woof

On Fri, 06 Aug 2004 10:32:43 +0100, Tony Raven
wrote:

The situation is exacerbated by the further ridiculous situation that BT
are blocking access to any of their 0800 customer numbers by my mobile
phone company and I am away from a landline at the moment.

Youy mean there are NO phone boxes nearby? At all? Not even a few
minutes down the road?

Old August 6th 04, 01:45 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Hiram Hackenbacker

wrote:

The situation is exacerbated by the further ridiculous situation that BT
are blocking access to any of their 0800 customer numbers by my mobile
phone company

You will find that 020 7356 5000 is a good alternative. Then ask BT to
call you back at their expense.

--
Hiram Hackenbacker
Old August 6th 04, 03:14 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband,uk.telecom.mobile
Peter Morgan

On 06 Aug 2004, in uk.telecom.broadband, Tony Raven wrote:

ridiculous situation that BT are blocking access to any of
their 0800 customer numbers by my mobile phone company and
I am away from a landline at the moment.

How can you be sure it is BT blocking the call... might be
an idea to give a list of the numbers you tried, and an idea
of the account you have and which mobile network you use. The
odda are that BT doesn't block the call, but the network might
(on the basis that they charge 10p/min or similar and you will
perhaps have to precede the number with * to acknowledge you're
willing to pay for the call. FU set to uk.telecom.mobile

--
com/org/info/biz domains as low as $5.00/year
com/org/info/biz transfers give 12 month extension
Old August 6th 04, 04:11 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
John Philip

Tony Raven wrote:

Anyway the problem is that BT are telling Nildram that installation
cannot go ahead because there is incompatible equipment on the line.
They will not tell them what the incompatible equipment is (because they
say they cannot discuss customers details with a third party). When I

Bit of a long shot this but I had a similar situation earlier this year
when an order was rejected for incompatible equipment. We left it a
month or so and reordered with another ISP who rejected the order
because the postcode was wrong - corrected that and order went through -
possible they are rejecting your order but giving the wrong reason?

JP
Old August 7th 04, 05:02 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Keef

---- snip ----------
Somehow I need to break out of this Catch 22 loop in BT. Does anyone
know of who I should be contacting or any other suggestions?

Had the same problem when I ordered ADSL from Virgin.net.

The problem "went away" when I ordered my ADSL from Pipex, so either BT
actually did something in response to my emails and phone calls (doubtfull)
or different ISPs have different ways of ordering from BT Wholesale?

My advice is try another ISP. I got nowhere with either BT or Virgin.net as
they kept blaming each other and no response to cc s I sent to Oftcom :-(

Regards - Keef
--
Dartford Kent UK
Email