Crazy BT Broadband problem - any suggestions

Old August 6th 04, 02:15 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter Hawkins

Default Crazy BT Broadband problem - any suggestions

I had a BT broadband connection, but in June I needed to switch to
Demon to get a fixed address to use a work VPN. I notified BT to
terminate broadband at the end of June and sure enough it's not on my
bill anymore. However I can't get BT to turn off their service. I
can't switch to Demon untill BT take their broadband service off my
line.

Now this might seem great to have broadband but no bill, but this is
causing big issues for me. I have lost track of the number of times I
have called BT and the reply is sorry, it will be gone within 7 days,
a week later and it's still there.

Does anyone know any other avenue I can use to get BT's broadband off
my phone line.

Old August 6th 04, 03:17 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
poster

On Fri, 06 Aug 2004 in uk.telecom.broadband, Peter Hawkins wrote:

Does anyone know any other avenue I can use to get BT's
broadband off my phone line.

No, sorry. I rang BT Wholesale direct and they told me the request
could only come from my ISP. I cancelled ADSL in early November,
the billing was stopped (unfortunately I could no longer connect
from about 10th December). ADSL service on my line was ceased in
early February after lots of calls to the ISP (Freeserve) and a few
to BT Wholesale (who were a little miffed I was ringing, as they want
to speak only to ISPs, not end users). Peter.

--
TalkTalk for free calls to other TT customers...
Reductions on calls to up to 3 mobile numbers...
Old August 6th 04, 03:41 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Andrew Haylett

Peter Hawkins wrote:
I had a BT broadband connection, but in June I needed to switch to
Demon to get a fixed address to use a work VPN. I notified BT to
terminate broadband at the end of June and sure enough it's not on my
bill anymore. However I can't get BT to turn off their service. I
can't switch to Demon untill BT take their broadband service off my
line.

Now this might seem great to have broadband but no bill, but this is
causing big issues for me. I have lost track of the number of times I
have called BT and the reply is sorry, it will be gone within 7 days,
a week later and it's still there.

Does anyone know any other avenue I can use to get BT's broadband off
my phone line.

Just out of interest, why do you need fixed IP to use VPN? Normally the
client side can run with dynamic IP quite happily. Is this some sort of
security provision such that they're only allowing in predetermined IPs?
Certainly the company VPN that I run for our staff (PPTP) works happily
with any IP.
Old August 6th 04, 04:08 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter Hawkins

On Fri, 6 Aug 2004 13:41:54 +0000 (UTC), Andrew Haylett
wrote:

VPN source addresses are futher restricted by firewall. We don't allow
dynamic addresses on VPN. Purely company policy.

Old August 7th 04, 12:31 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
poster

On 06 Aug 2004 in uk.telecom.broadband, Peter Hawkins wrote:

source addresses are futher restricted by firewall

good idea - even when no VPN is in use, but for a company's office
mail server where SMTP access is allowed from its own employees
working from home on ADSL services. I'm surprised that some ISPs
charge a *monthly* fee for fixed IP. It is surely easy enough to
set up once and they just milk it. I'm sure quite a number of ISPs
offers static IP as standard... some don't offer dynamic at all !!

Depends on account that is opened by new customer, but good value ISP IMO.
Old August 7th 04, 10:07 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
David Bradley

On Fri, 06 Aug 2004 23:31:46 +0100, poster
wrote:

On 06 Aug 2004 in uk.telecom.broadband, Peter Hawkins wrote:

source addresses are futher restricted by firewall

good idea - even when no VPN is in use, but for a company's office
mail server where SMTP access is allowed from its own employees
working from home on ADSL services. I'm surprised that some ISPs
charge a *monthly* fee for fixed IP. It is surely easy enough to
set up once and they just milk it. I'm sure quite a number of ISPs
offers static IP as standard... some don't offer dynamic at all !!

Running a VPN where both ends are a 256/512 service, what speed does
the VPN run at 64, 256 or 512?

David Bradley
Old August 7th 04, 12:38 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Graham Murray

poster writes:

I'm surprised that some ISPs charge a *monthly* fee for fixed IP.
It is surely easy enough to set up once and they just milk it. I'm
sure quite a number of ISPs offers static IP as standard... some
don't offer dynamic at all !!

I would have expected it to be cheaper to provide static than dynamic
IP on ADSL. On dialup where the access port has an IP address which is
given to whichever customer is dialled into that port, dynamic IP
makes sense. Not only would I think it technically easier to provide
static IP on ADSL but I would expect it to be easier for the abuse
departments etc as well.
Old August 7th 04, 06:36 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Graham Murray

David Bradley writes:

Running a VPN where both ends are a 256/512 service, what speed does
the VPN run at 64, 256 or 512?

It cannot run any faster than 256 as neither end can send any faster
than that.