Slow 500K Broadband - Help appreciated - Out of ideas!

Old August 6th 04, 04:37 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

Default Slow 500K Broadband - Help appreciated - Out of ideas!

Any suggestions as to why I am getting slow broadband download speeds?

BT have updated my phone system and the engineer got 467Kbps download
from www.adslguide.org.uk right at my PC connection using his laptop &
modem.

My PC (1.8Ghz Win98se) and modem only get 63Kbps!

I have tried two other computers (500MHz Win98se & Compaq Laptop
XP-Pro) using the same modem but all give poor results.

The modem is a Binatone ADSL500 USB and has been replaced.

My ISP has been helpful but is running out of ideas and Binatone can
only suggest there may be a software conflict but no idea where.

My main PC runs Norton, Zone Alarm & Spysweeper, the laptop runs
Norton, Zone Alarm and the old PC only AVG.

The file download speeds are usuallyaround 10K though my AVG update on
the old PC did download at 22K. Still well under what I would expect.

Ideas appreciated,
Thanks, David
Old August 6th 04, 05:17 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
John R Whale

wrote in message
[...]

So you have replaced your modem for one exactly the same?
Personally i dont like usb modems, i would go for a network card and a
router, or next best a pci adsl modem.

What motherboard chip set do you have - some mobos have very poor USB
implementation. Get latest drivers for your motherboard. but i would ditch
the USB altogether.

Old August 6th 04, 06:12 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

On Fri, 6 Aug 2004 16:17:57 +0100, "John R Whale"
wrote:

wrote in message
.. .
[...]

Yes the modem is the same!

What motherboard chip set do you have - some mobos have very poor USB
implementation. Get latest drivers for your motherboard. but i would ditch
the USB altogether.

Thanks for the reply.

The main PC is K7S5A motherboard with SiS 735 chipset (1.8Ghz).
The old PC I think is GA-5AA, Ali Aladdin V AGPset (500MHz).
The Laptop is Compaq EVO 115 (no idea what chipset, 1.3Ghz).

As I previously indicated they ALL give identical poor results!

I agree the weak link is USB but it is supplied to do the job so in
theory should work, at least close to full spec.!

I got the startup pack from the ISP and decided to get USB version to
allow more than one PC to use broadband if required. That has proved
useful as the ISP is being very helpful but is now running out of
ideas. Their last suggestion was to change 'MUT' (whatever that is)
and change the packets. They have some information on their website
but I don't see there should be anything special about my system which
needs to get that deep into the system and start tweeking.

Maybe it would be helpful to mention my BT line is only about half a
mile from the exchange and was checked at 24 db loss and 33 db noise
level.

I have also checked with the BT speedtester direct into their system
and got almost identical results to www.adslguide.org.uk.

Hope that helps and await your further suggestions.

Thanks,

Regards, David

E-mail:
Old August 6th 04, 06:39 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
John R Whale

wrote in message
On Fri, 6 Aug 2004 16:17:57 +0100, "John R Whale"
wrote:

wrote in message
. ..
[...]

none of those motherboards are really new, I would till put my money on the
usb being the weakest link. In fact a network card & router is the best way
to get several pc sharing the connection rather than usb as you suggest.
The only way to really eliminate things to hook up a modern pc up to the
modem and see what the resuts are - have you got a friend that can bring a
pc around? Obviously if the results are the same then you need to look
elsewhere for the problem.
Its just a process of elimination i am afraid and that can take a long time.

Old August 6th 04, 06:58 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

On Fri, 6 Aug 2004 17:39:07 +0100, "John R Whale"
wrote:

.. .
wrote:

wrote in message
[...]

Thanks again.

Unfortunately I don;t know of a friend who could help!

I'm not sure if I've been clear with my comments re. 3xPC's.
I only use one PC at a time and conect directly to the modem.
I've even removed the 4 way USB outlet and go direct from the modem to
the PC.

I'm just updating the ISP again ans will see how they respond.

Regards,

Old August 6th 04, 07:34 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Andrew Portess

[...]

Make sure you do have any file sharing software running in the background.

Andy

Old August 6th 04, 08:56 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

On Fri, 6 Aug 2004 18:34:05 +0100, "Andrew Portess"
wrote:

[...]

Could you be more specific, I'm not that familiar with file sharing
software.

Thanks Dacid
Old August 6th 04, 09:53 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter

Are you sure you are not comparing apples and oranges?
in kbps (bits/sec) 467 is reasonably good given that you max at 512
in KBPS (bytes/sec) 63 is very good

Peter

Old August 6th 04, 11:38 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

On Fri, 6 Aug 2004 19:53:19 +0000 (UTC), "Peter"
wrote:

Are you sure you are not comparing apples and oranges?
in kbps (bits/sec) 467 is reasonably good given that you max at 512
in KBPS (bytes/sec) 63 is very good

Peter

I wish I was!

63Kbps and 8KB/sec. (I usually see around 10-11KB/sec which is ot that
much better than the old 3-4KB landline).
The best I've seen was today, on the slowest PC which I've not used
for months. When I downloaded the latest AVG update (~3.5MB) it
downloaded at 22.7KB/sec.

This is a real mystery. My guess is either two faulty modems (highly
unlikely), software incompatibility including modem driver (also
doubtful) or something to do with the USB interface (but on 3x PC's?).

David
Old August 7th 04, 03:34 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Sunil Sood

wrote in message

Their last suggestion was to change 'MUT' (whatever that is)
and change the packets. They have some information on their website
but I don't see there should be anything special about my system which
needs to get that deep into the system and start tweeking.

That would be "MTU"

Try downloading and running
http://www.broadband1.bt.com/downloa..._and_QandA.zip

BTs website is down at the moment but the link should work when it
reappears.

After running it, reboot and see if that makes a difference.

If not, running the tool again, will reset the settings

Regards
Sunil