OT-ish: Losing ADSL :-( Can anyone recommend a Dial up "anytime" style account?

Old August 6th 04, 07:35 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
-halli-

Default OT-ish: Losing ADSL :-( Can anyone recommend a Dial up "anytime" style account?

Hi all,

After being a very happy Pipex ADSL customer for well over a year now, I am
moving to the countryside where ADSL is not reaching a trigger limit till
Feb 2005 :-( *sobs uncontrollably*

Could anyone recommend a dial up service which is call free (anytime style)?
I have looked at Tiscalli (150 hours per month for 14.99) and Wanadoo
(7.49 each for three months and then 14.99, not sure of limitations)

I don't like 2 hour cut offs, but I could live with them if they still
exist.

Does anyone know of any others (not AOHell, I am still finding bits in my
computer from them!)

Thanks in advance

-halli-

Old August 6th 04, 08:01 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Ian Stirling

-halli- wrote:
Hi all,

After being a very happy Pipex ADSL customer for well over a year now, I am
moving to the countryside where ADSL is not reaching a trigger limit till
Feb 2005 :-( *sobs uncontrollably*

Could anyone recommend a dial up service which is call free (anytime style)?
I have looked at Tiscalli (150 hours per month for ?14.99) and Wanadoo
(?7.49 each for three months and then ?14.99, not sure of limitations)

Demon, 19.99/mo (IIRC), for Premier Connect Pro.
BT, evening+weekend surftime, some 20/mo too.

Would get you 24*7.

Add homehighway for another 20 quid a month, and get an extra line 'free',
for another 20% speed or so.
Old August 6th 04, 09:06 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

On Fri, 6 Aug 2004 18:35:03 +0100, "-halli-"
wrote:

Hi all,

After being a very happy Pipex ADSL customer for well over a year now, I am
moving to the countryside where ADSL is not reaching a trigger limit till
Feb 2005 :-( *sobs uncontrollably*

Could anyone recommend a dial up service which is call free (anytime style)?
I have looked at Tiscalli (150 hours per month for 14.99) and Wanadoo
(7.49 each for three months and then 14.99, not sure of limitations)

I don't like 2 hour cut offs, but I could live with them if they still
exist.

Does anyone know of any others (not AOHell, I am still finding bits in my
computer from them!)

Thanks in advance

-halli-

I've been using www.free-online.co.uk
(http://www.free-online.net/info2/res...res_fixed.html) 'LITE'
version for a couple of years at 9.99 p/month. 24 hour access. They
do have 1 hour cut-off but only Mon-Fri 0800-2200 if I remember
correctly. Limited to 20hr per week but time overnight not included.
Other limits available at different costs.

0845 Tel, No. 24 hour help line, billed monthly on C/card.

I've just started their broadband.

David
Old August 6th 04, 09:16 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Woof

wrote:

Could anyone recommend a dial up service which is call free (anytime style)?
I have looked at Tiscalli (150 hours per month for 14.99) and Wanadoo
(7.49 each for three months and then 14.99, not sure of limitations)

I don't think AOL have a cutoff time or transfer limit.
Old August 6th 04, 09:28 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
-halli-

wrote:

Could anyone recommend a dial up service which is call free (anytime

style)?
I have looked at Tiscalli (150 hours per month for 14.99) and Wanadoo
(7.49 each for three months and then 14.99, not sure of limitations)

I don't think AOL have a cutoff time or transfer limit.

Aaargh, not AOHell! :-)
I allowed them to pollute my computer a while back and I vowed never to use
them again. You are right, they didn't have a cut-off time or a transfer
limit, but their software was horrible. Plus it knacked up my home network
settings.

Thanks anyway,

-halli-

Old August 6th 04, 09:30 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
-halli-

"Ian Stirling" wrote in message
-halli- wrote:
Hi all,

After being a very happy Pipex ADSL customer for well over a year now, I

am
moving to the countryside where ADSL is not reaching a trigger limit

till
Feb 2005 :-( *sobs uncontrollably*

Could anyone recommend a dial up service which is call free (anytime

style)?
I have looked at Tiscalli (150 hours per month for ?14.99) and Wanadoo
(?7.49 each for three months and then ?14.99, not sure of limitations)

Demon, 19.99/mo (IIRC), for Premier Connect Pro.
BT, evening+weekend surftime, some 20/mo too.

Bit pricey, but I will check out the web site. I have heard lots of good
things about Demon in the past.

Cheers

-halli-

Old August 6th 04, 09:50 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Ian Stirling

-halli- wrote:
Hi all,

After being a very happy Pipex ADSL customer for well over a year now, I

am
moving to the countryside where ADSL is not reaching a trigger limit

till
Feb 2005 :-( *sobs uncontrollably*

Could anyone recommend a dial up service which is call free (anytime

style)?
I have looked at Tiscalli (150 hours per month for ?14.99) and Wanadoo
(?7.49 each for three months and then ?14.99, not sure of limitations)

Demon, 19.99/mo (IIRC), for Premier Connect Pro.
BT, evening+weekend surftime, some 20/mo too.

Bit pricey, but I will check out the web site. I have heard lots of good
things about Demon in the past.

I've been generally happy with them.
They are one of the few ISPs that do not object to high usages.

The Premier connect account allows connection in evenings+weekends
(free) and combined with surftime (evening and weekends) you get
free off-peak for some 20-25 quid less a month (and connection at
some 1p/min on-peak).

Homehighway gives you an extra two lines, and is 64K up and down constantly,
with 2-3 second connection.

(one extra line analog, and can be used for an extra phone line, and one
digital number. You can use two channels at any one time, so if you'r
using data, and pick up one phone, pick up the other and you get no
dialtone.)
Old August 6th 04, 10:00 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Ian Stirling

-halli- wrote:
Hi all,

After being a very happy Pipex ADSL customer for well over a year now, I

am
moving to the countryside where ADSL is not reaching a trigger limit

till
Feb 2005 :-( *sobs uncontrollably*

Could anyone recommend a dial up service which is call free (anytime

style)?
I have looked at Tiscalli (150 hours per month for ?14.99) and Wanadoo
(?7.49 each for three months and then ?14.99, not sure of limitations)

Demon, 19.99/mo (IIRC), for Premier Connect Pro.
BT, evening+weekend surftime, some 20/mo too.

Bit pricey, but I will check out the web site. I have heard lots of good
things about Demon in the past.

I've been generally happy with them.
They are one of the few ISPs that do not object to high usages.

I should have pointed out that the reason I'm now posting from a plusnet
newsserver is that they did not at that time support managed conversions
from HH-ADSL.

I'd have had to downgrade from HH-ordinary, (paying fee to BT) and then
if ADSL install failed (it very, very nearly did.) then I'd have had
to pay BT to come and put HH back, and enter into another 12 month contract.

Old August 7th 04, 01:19 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
poster

On 06 Aug 2004 18:01:30 GMT, in uk.telecom.broadband,
Ian Stirling wrote:

Demon, 19.99/mo (IIRC), for Premier Connect Pro.
BT, evening+weekend surftime, some 20/mo too.
Would get you 24*7.

Add homehighway for another 20 quid a month, and get an extra line 'free',
for another 20% speed or so.

Ummmmm... HH nowadays costs 28 GBP a month, because it is on BT Together
option 1 (yes, "another 20 quid" on top of a normal line rental, is about
right, I guess!!). Evening and weekend surftime is 7 GBP a month, but if
I see 24*7, you are thinking of Surftime Anytime, which went up on 01/04,
to 30 GBP a month... so 28 + 30 to BT each month, plus the fee paid to
Demon (plus the initial conversion to HH fee, of 74.99).

I've seen comments about One.Tel having a 6 hour cut-off on their gamer
account. PlusNet has several accounts and while they have some limit on
the number of hours, they don't count usage from 0100 to 0700 against the
monthly limits, but 24x7 would be exhorbitant at 99 GBP a month. Claranet
has an account for 9.99 a month allowing news/mail/web but not IRC/games/
streaming audio/etc, with an upper limit of about 350 hours a month...

BT Midband (for HH) allows up to 150 hours at 64k for a tenner... also,
MyInternetPass allows 160 hours at 64k for a tenner (and you can buy as
much as you want, so can use 320 hours in a month if you wanted, for 20).

Old August 7th 04, 08:21 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Terrycymru

Take a look at Claranet Anytime - 14.99. I've used it at one of my
locations for 12 months and found it reliable. www.uk.clara.net

Terry