Router problem with Telewest

Old August 6th 04, 09:29 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
David Frazer

Default Router problem with Telewest

I have a Telewest Blueyonder broadband connection together with a Belkin
gateway router allowing two computers to share the connection.
Everything worked pretty well until the Blueyonder service was knocked
offline, apparently by a lightning strike, yesterday. Now that service
has been restored, I can qccess the Internet if I plug my computer
directly to the cable modem, but I can't get the router to connect.

My computer runs Windows XP Professional and I have a Belkin F5D5230-4
router. Since Telewest doesn't offically allow routers and won't tell
you how to set them up, I've been on my own. I've tried setting the
router for dynamic IP, static IP and POPoE, all to no avail, and a phone
call to Belkin tech support did not bring any enlightenment. If anyone
has experience of setting up routers for Telewest and can tell me where
I'm going wrong, I would be very grateful.

The annoying thing is that I can't remember how I got it running the
first time. IIRC switching everything off and on again was enough to
turn a non-working router into a working one.

Old August 7th 04, 10:55 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Dave

David Frazer wrote:
[...]

have you asked in the blueyonder discussion groups?
Old August 7th 04, 12:27 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
David Frazer

Dave wrote:

have you asked in the blueyonder discussion groups?

Not yet. blueyonder.users.self-help.networking looks to be the right place.

Thanks.

Old August 11th 04, 12:23 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Steven Atkinson

David Frazer wrote in
:

[...]

David,

Having just seen this the thread "NTL Broadband and MAC Address" later
in this group, is there a chance that the broadband side of the router
has been damaged by the lighting?

I am not familiar with your router, but are there any indicator lights
on the WAN port? If so do they light up and flash at all when plugged on
to your cable modem?

Have you tried a factory reset on it?

Steve Atkinson
Old August 11th 04, 09:56 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Andrew Martin

In article , says...
[...]

I think you will need to clone the mac address of your PC with the
router so that Telewest think it is your PC connecting.
There used to be a place on the Telewest website that let you have a few
mac addresses registered.
Old August 14th 04, 10:25 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Stewart Brown

The same think happen to me and I was gevin the following advice, which
worked for me,

1) Go to rum tpye cmd
2) You should now have a dos promt type ipconfig/relase.
3) shut you pc down unplug your cable modem and router
4) Leave unpluged for 5minutes, then plug the modem back in leave for two
mintues then plug the router in
5) Turn Your Pc on and you should now have net access.

Good luck any problems please post

wrote in message
news
On Wed, 11 Aug 2004 20:56:30 +0100, Andrew Martin
wrote:
There used to be a place on the Telewest website that let you have a few
mac addresses registered.

No need to register them now .

Old August 15th 04, 10:22 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
PJB

"Colin Wilson" wrote in message
t...
1) Go to rum tpye cmd
2) You should now have a dos promt type ipconfig/relase.
3) shut you pc down unplug your cable modem and router
4) Leave unpluged for 5minutes, then plug the modem back

in leave for two
mintues then plug the router in
5) Turn Your Pc on and you should now have net access.
Good luck any problems please post

A dictionary ?

A few misspelt words, but there was no problem understanding
what he had written.
Don't suppose it crossed your mind he could be dyslexic?
Or maybe he's not as young as you think he is?
Or any other million reasons for that matter..

There's always one pedant out to find fault, sheesh

P.

Old August 15th 04, 12:28 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Colin Wilson

A few misspelt words, but there was no problem understanding
what he had written.
Don't suppose it crossed your mind he could be dyslexic?
Or maybe he's not as young as you think he is?
Or any other million reasons for that matter..
There's always one pedant out to find fault, sheesh

I apologise - we all have days like that I suppose, I was just feeling a
little "picky" at the time :-}

Old August 15th 04, 01:26 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
poster

On 15 Aug 2004 in uk.telecom.broadband, "PJB" wrote:

there was no problem understanding what he had written.

On 3rd attempt, perhaps - sorry, it really was far from clear to me.

As for dyslexia, yes, a possibility, but far more likely just a 'rush' (we
all do it from time to time) but when in doubt, there is often a way to copy
exactly what one sees and type it again, so dyslexia would not in itself be
a problem). I know if I have to go step by step through something (eg using
a web proxy to bypass the restrictions which might be placed in my way), and
then explaining exactly what options to choose, and things to click, I do
it step by step and write the notes based on what I see.

I *now* accept the mistypes from the original, which were further deviations
than I normally seem able to correct while reading... we all seem able to
automatically correct to a greater or lesser degree but the text I saw
was quite some way past what I can usually correct "on the fly".

Have to admit I nearly posted a "pardon?" when I saw the original, and
'nodded' when I saw Colin's earlier post... Peter M.