Email Sending Problem

Old August 7th 04, 01:52 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Phil

Default Email Sending Problem

I have a pop 3 mail box with 123 Reg and use AOL's smtp server to send email
for that address. Everything was working fine up until a couple of days ago
and I keep receiving this error message:
inactivity. Subject '', Account: 'pophost.123-reg.co.uk', Server:
'smtp.uk.aol.com', Protocol: SMTP, Port: 25, Secure(SSL): No, Error Number:
0x800CCC0F
I thought AOL might be blocking port 25 so I did a telnet to smtp.uk.aol.com
and got this response 220 air-id06.mx.aol.com ESMTP mail_in-id6.3; Fri, 06
Aug 2004 20:37:15 -0400
which I believe means that the port isn't being blocked? Any ideas?

--
Phil From Scarborough UK

Old August 7th 04, 03:55 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Martyn Dewar

Phil wrote:

I have a pop 3 mail box with 123 Reg and use AOL's smtp server to send email
for that address. Everything was working fine up until a couple of days ago
and I keep receiving this error message:
inactivity. Subject '', Account: 'pophost.123-reg.co.uk', Server:
'smtp.uk.aol.com', Protocol: SMTP, Port: 25, Secure(SSL): No, Error Number:
0x800CCC0F
I thought AOL might be blocking port 25 so I did a telnet to smtp.uk.aol.com
and got this response 220 air-id06.mx.aol.com ESMTP mail_in-id6.3; Fri, 06
Aug 2004 20:37:15 -0400
which I believe means that the port isn't being blocked? Any ideas?

You need to use port 587 for email now. Make sure you are using
"authenticated smtp" (use your aol screenname / password). More info can
be obtained from http://postmaster.info.aol.com (see "open mail access")
, keyword open mail access (in the aol client) or from

hth.

Old August 7th 04, 06:27 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Phil

Yes I do use port 587 for my AOL accounts but this is a separate account
that will only work with port 25.

--
Phil From Scarborough UK

Old August 7th 04, 10:20 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
David Bradley

On Sat, 07 Aug 2004 03:55:36 +0100, Martyn Dewar
wrote:

Phil wrote:

[...]

I also would really like to get to grips with this issue by being able
to use Microsoft Outlook as my email client while connected to AOL.
There's plenty of on line help that shows you how to do this except
for the intergration of your own Domain name.

I have created a WEB page at
http://www.cyberpictures.net/aol/ that
contains screen shots of how I think it should be set up, but would
appreciate any informed observation and comment of whether it would
work and/or small tweeks that need to be made.

Furthermore, is it possible to connect to AOL using a router/modem
such as the Draytek 2600?

While it is not intended to continue with AOL at the end of the
contract period, the steps outlined above would mean that both the
hardware and software would be in place to switch over to another ADSL
supplier that does not come with so much excess unwanted baggage.

David Bradley

Old August 9th 04, 03:28 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
David Bradley

wrote:

Phil wrote:

[...]

Its ratrher disapponiting there has been no response to my queries
posted above; is there no one out there that can make a useful
observation or comment?

David Bradley
Old August 9th 04, 04:40 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
poster

On 09 Aug 2004 in uk.telecom.broadband, David Bradley wrote:

Its rather disapponiting there has been no response to my queries
posted above; is there no one out there that can make a useful
observation or comment?

Perhaps we are unqualified to comment on the problems associated with
AOL, which is an ISP unlike any other (requiring their own software
and potentially causing problems for users). I've seen something
to suggest they now support routers, but you are using a service
which is relatively unpopular among posters/readers in this group,
however large the market share of ADSL users are on AOL.

Looks as if you need more assistance from your peers, as the majority
of us cannot help, having no knowledge. Peter M.
Old August 9th 04, 09:57 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
David Bradley

On Mon, 09 Aug 2004 16:40:44 +0100, poster
wrote:

On 09 Aug 2004 in uk.telecom.broadband, David Bradley wrote:

Its rather disapponiting there has been no response to my queries
posted above; is there no one out there that can make a useful
observation or comment?

Perhaps we are unqualified to comment on the problems associated with
AOL, which is an ISP unlike any other (requiring their own software
and potentially causing problems for users). I've seen something
to suggest they now support routers, but you are using a service
which is relatively unpopular among posters/readers in this group,
however large the market share of ADSL users are on AOL.

Looks as if you need more assistance from your peers, as the majority
of us cannot help, having no knowledge. Peter M.

Thank you for your response. However I am not an AOL user but have
advised the actual user to move over to a more regular ISP.
Unfortunately there are a number of months to go before the contract
expires, but I would like to 'switch' as much as possible before that
date arrives. I agree with your observations on AOL and can't really
understand why they don't move towards the standard way of working.

David Bradley