Can't get BB But is Onspeed or Netsonic worthwhile

Old August 7th 04, 07:10 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Ronald Jones

Default Can't get BB But is Onspeed or Netsonic worthwhile

I have got Netsonic installed which does not seem to speed things along
much I noticed in the current edition of computer active (issue 169 )
a write up of ONSPEED www.onspeed.com which they give ***** rating It
costs 24 PA and is said to "make browsing much faster"
Has anyone used or has a friend that uses either of these programmes or
would like to comment if these add-ons are worthwhile
Regards
--
Ronald Jones
Old August 8th 04, 07:01 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter Callison

Ron

Got it, it works. Roughly about 3 times faster web browsing.

Pete

Old August 8th 04, 09:46 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Paul G

"Peter Callison" wrote in message
Ron

Got it, it works. Roughly about 3 times faster web browsing.

There's a 7 day trial of onspeed at:
http://downloads.zdnet.co.uk/0,39025...079582s,00.htm

Paul

Old August 9th 04, 11:39 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Ronald Jones

In message , Paul G
writes

"Peter Callison" wrote in message
.. .
Ron

Got it, it works. Roughly about 3 times faster web browsing.

There's a 7 day trial of onspeed at:
http://downloads.zdnet.co.uk/0,39025...079582s,00.htm

Paul

Thanks for the info.
I have contacted ONSPEED and have downloaded the program to give it a
trial.
Before doing so I did a Bandwidth test as given on the ZD
site page AND immediately after downloading (all in the space of
30min) I did the same using ONSPEED.
Before : line speed = 35.7Kbps 4.4Kbytes/sec
After : 31.0 3.8
I have not seen an improvement yet but it is early days and the test I
Made are probably normal fluctuations and nothing to do with Onspeed ?
Regards
Ronald Jones
Old August 9th 04, 02:23 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

In article ,
Ronald Jones wrote:
There's a 7 day trial of onspeed at:
http://downloads.zdnet.co.uk/0,39025...079582s,00.htm

Thanks for the info.
I have contacted ONSPEED and have downloaded the program to give it a
trial.
Before doing so I did a Bandwidth test as given on the ZD
site page AND immediately after downloading (all in the space of
30min) I did the same using ONSPEED.
Before : line speed = 35.7Kbps 4.4Kbytes/sec
After : 31.0 3.8

You are unlikely to see improvements on a speed test, due to the way
Onspeed speeds up your connection. The only real test is "does it feel
faster".

Zane.
Old August 9th 04, 04:08 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Walter Hayward

In article , writes
In article ,
Ronald Jones wrote:
There's a 7 day trial of onspeed at:
http://downloads.zdnet.co.uk/0,39025...079582s,00.htm

Thanks for the info.
I have contacted ONSPEED and have downloaded the program to give it a
trial.
Before doing so I did a Bandwidth test as given on the ZD
site page AND immediately after downloading (all in the space of
30min) I did the same using ONSPEED.
Before : line speed = 35.7Kbps 4.4Kbytes/sec
After : 31.0 3.8

You are unlikely to see improvements on a speed test, due to the way
Onspeed speeds up your connection. The only real test is "does it feel
faster".

Zane.

It all depends on the "test".. On Speed works primarily by increasing
compression.. especially on images, and by using a proxy.
This means that as far as the image compression is concerned
1. the image quality WILL be reduced according to the amount of
compression. You could get the same, or better speed by
a. using a faster browser.. have you wondered why On Speed is only
available for IExplorer?
b. turning off display of images in your browser

As far as the use of a proxy is concerned, yes it can speed up things
as you get the page(s) direct from the proxy "store" UNLESS you happen
to be the first person to request that particular page, then it can be
slower... you request the page from the proxy server... the proxy
requests the page from the web site then once it has received it.. it
sends it to you. An extra step in the "loop".

Also, the proxy will send you the page in it's store if possible,
probably NOT the latest until it's "store" is refreshed. So not good for
"time sensitive" updates.

Remember, most of us spend time and effort removing "Spyware"... On
Speed is the ultimate Big Brother.. it sees EVERYTHING you request (if
it wanted to)
Further, imagine... at present, assuming say 1 million people are
downloading data at the same time (using different isps), then they
could easily be using some 3 quarters of a million, or more, different
web site servers and numerous isps' backbones.
Now imagine if those 1 million all joined On Speed... then we would have
1 million people all trying to get data from the On Speed server!!!!!

Yer pays yer money and takes yer choice!!!

Wally Hayward
Free download. Block SPAM Now! http://bockspamnow.com/r/5712