ADSL Modem Recommend

Old August 8th 04, 01:46 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Chris

Default ADSL Modem Recommend

Hi,

Can you recommend a ADSL modem that connects to a network card.
Cheap and reliable.

Thanx

Old August 8th 04, 02:58 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Dominic

Chris wrote:
Hi,

Can you recommend a ADSL modem that connects to a network card.

D-Link do an ethernet ADSL modem for under 40, but the money would be
better spent an a router with built in modem.

Dominic

Old August 8th 04, 07:24 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
MM

"Dominic" wrote in message
Chris wrote:
Hi,

Can you recommend a ADSL modem that connects to a network card.

D-Link do an ethernet ADSL modem for under 40, but the money would be
better spent an a router with built in modem.

Dominic

Netgear do a new low end modem/router with USB and ethernet for about 50 -
the DG632 try www.dslwarehouse.co.uk or www.broadbandbuyer.com

I installed one the other day for a friend - if you want just modem
functionality then you can run it in modem mode - later on if you wish to
expand your network you can run it in router mode.

Old August 8th 04, 08:07 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Dave Stanton

On Sun, 08 Aug 2004 11:46:50 +0000, Chris wrote:

Hi,

Can you recommend a ADSL modem that connects to a network card.
Cheap and reliable.

Thanx

You can get the Binatone ADSL2000 from Argos and try it out for 14 days.
Works well here on ethernet( 10 months and counting)

Dave

Old August 8th 04, 09:16 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Dominic

MM wrote:
"Dominic" wrote in message
Chris wrote:
Hi,

Can you recommend a ADSL modem that connects to a network card.

D-Link do an ethernet ADSL modem for under 40, but the money would
be better spent an a router with built in modem.

Netgear do a new low end modem/router with USB and ethernet for about
50 - the DG632 try www.dslwarehouse.co.uk or www.broadbandbuyer.com

I installed one the other day for a friend - if you want just modem
functionality then you can run it in modem mode - later on if you
wish to expand your network you can run it in router mode.

Thanks - I don't want one though. Please reply to the right person, it makes
it much easier for anybody looking at the thread at a later date

Dom

Old August 8th 04, 09:49 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

"Dominic" wrote in message
MM wrote:
"Dominic" wrote in message
Chris wrote:
Hi,

Can you recommend a ADSL modem that connects to a network card.

D-Link do an ethernet ADSL modem for under 40, but the money would
be better spent an a router with built in modem.

Netgear do a new low end modem/router with USB and ethernet for about
50 - the DG632 try www.dslwarehouse.co.uk or www.broadbandbuyer.com

I installed one the other day for a friend - if you want just modem
functionality then you can run it in modem mode - later on if you
wish to expand your network you can run it in router mode.

Thanks - I don't want one though. Please reply to the right person, it

makes
it much easier for anybody looking at the thread at a later date

Dom

Hi Dom, please could you tell Chris that I had many problems with D-Link's
300G+, so I cannot recommend it.

Cheers,

Old August 8th 04, 10:01 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Malcolm Knight

"MM" wrote in message

Netgear do a new low end modem/router with USB and ethernet for about

50 -
the DG632 try www.dslwarehouse.co.uk or www.broadbandbuyer.com

I installed one the other day for a friend - if you want just modem
functionality then you can run it in modem mode - later on if you wish to
expand your network you can run it in router mode.

My DG632 absolutely refused to work in modem mode even though it was
directly connected to the network card. It would however run like that in
router mode. Being totally dissatisfied with it I gave it to a friend with
fewer requirements than me. However he has to power cycle it every couple of
hours to keep connectivity. Netgear support aren't interested.
--
Malcolm

Old August 8th 04, 10:20 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
poster

On 8 Aug 2004 in uk.telecom.broadband, "Dominic" wrote:

money would be better spent on a router with built in modem.

Depends on the intendd use... surely. Just 'cos 99.9999% would find
a router useful doesn't mean that the OP actually wants a router :-)
Old August 8th 04, 10:47 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Dominic

poster wrote:
On 8 Aug 2004 in uk.telecom.broadband, "Dominic" wrote:

money would be better spent on a router with built in modem.

Depends on the intendd use... surely. Just 'cos 99.9999% would find
a router useful doesn't mean that the OP actually wants a router :-)

Very true, but in your own words, 99.9999% would find a router useful, so
it's worth pointing out. On a serious point though, most routers will let
you use them as a simple ethernet modem anyway, so you could probably buy a
router for less than an ethernet modem, use it as such, and still be able to
change its use at a later date if necessary.

Dom

Old August 9th 04, 12:08 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Dr Teeth

On Sun, 08 Aug 2004 22:10:58 GMT, "Piers James"
-nospam wrote:

I haven't had any problems with the DSL-300G+ so I CAN recommend it.

It posts twice though g.

Cheers,

Guy

** I may not be perfect, but I'm
** English, and that's the next best thing!