Linksys WAG54G or ??

Old August 9th 04, 06:53 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Paul Hutchings

Default Linksys WAG54G or ??

Thinking of getting a wireless router to simplify ADSL connection sharing
between 2 PCs on 2 different floors.

Looking at the Linksys WAG54G, looks well prices, seems to do all I need
and comes with a free 54g PC Card that I could sell to offset the cost a
little :-)

I tend to use "normal" internet apps, some p2p utils, don't run any
servers, probably won't but I guess pretty much any/all routers these days
do port-forwarding?

regards
Paul
paul at spamcop.net
Old August 9th 04, 07:55 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Ian Waring

Paul Hutchings wrote:

Looking at the Linksys WAG54G, looks well prices, seems to do all I need
and comes with a free 54g PC Card that I could sell to offset the cost a
little :-)

I've been using one of these fronting up my home network (run my own
Fedora FC2 Linux web/email server, my wife's Windows XP machine and my
son's Dell 8300 XP Pro). It's an absolutely fabulous piece of kit -
stays up 24/7 and was very simple to set up. We have it bolted onto a BT
Business Broadband 500 connection. Fixed IP address in our case, but the
unit works well with dynDNS out of the box if that's more desirable.

The only gotcha is that when you update the firmware, you have to enter
all your set-up parameters again by hand. That apart, we're delighted
with it.

No connection other than as a happy customer ;-)

Ian W.
Old August 9th 04, 10:11 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Edward

Paul Hutchings wrote:
Thinking of getting a wireless router to simplify ADSL connection
sharing between 2 PCs on 2 different floors.

Looking at the Linksys WAG54G, looks well prices, seems to do all I
need and comes with a free 54g PC Card that I could sell to offset
the cost a little :-)

I tend to use "normal" internet apps, some p2p utils, don't run any
servers, probably won't but I guess pretty much any/all routers these
days do port-forwarding?

regards
Paul

Been using one for several months - hassle free. Never bothered updating
the firmware, no need.

Old August 10th 04, 12:41 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Road_Hog

"Paul Hutchings" wrote in message
.4...
Thinking of getting a wireless router to simplify ADSL connection sharing
between 2 PCs on 2 different floors.

Looking at the Linksys WAG54G, looks well prices, seems to do all I need
and comes with a free 54g PC Card that I could sell to offset the cost a
little :-)

Another happy customer here, been using one with the pc card for three
months now. No problems with it at all.

Old August 10th 04, 10:48 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Linker3000

Like the others say - fine bit of kit.

Have two in use daily by homeworkers - not had a problem since install.
Old August 11th 04, 06:23 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Paul Hutchings

Paul Hutchings wrote in
.4:

Looking at the Linksys WAG54G, looks well prices, seems to do all I need
and comes with a free 54g PC Card that I could sell to offset the cost a
little :-)

Thanks all.. not read many bad things so the only decision to be made is if
i can be arsed to JFDI :-)

regards
Paul
paul at spamcop.net
Old August 15th 04, 08:43 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Edward

Paul Hutchings wrote:
Paul Hutchings wrote in
.4:

Looking at the Linksys WAG54G, looks well prices, seems to do all I
need and comes with a free 54g PC Card that I could sell to offset
the cost a little :-)

Thanks all.. not read many bad things so the only decision to be made
is if i can be arsed to JFDI :-)

regards
Paul

Linksys technical support is (or rather was a year ago) totally abysmal.
However, I've not needed it for this bit of kit.