'PIPEX' settings

Old August 9th 04, 10:00 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Dominic

Default 'PIPEX' settings

news.ntlworld.com wrote:
Only days now until switch on

Looking for the settings to put in my Linksys WAG54G if anyone has
the them for pipex.
things like the following:

Do they use PPPoE?

PPPoA

Do you have a permanent IP address?

Only if you requested one, otherwise dynamic. Either way it should be
assigned for you automatically.

VPI & VCI settings

VPI = 0, VCI = 38

Are you required to use RFC 1483 Routed?

The protocol is PPPoA (VC-Mux)

Hope it all goes okay on your activation day!

Dominic

Old August 9th 04, 11:46 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Bob Hopeless

Do they use PPPoE?

PPPoA

I thought Pipex used PPPoE.

Old August 10th 04, 12:02 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Dominic

Bob Hopeless wrote:
Do they use PPPoE?

PPPoA

I thought Pipex used PPPoE.

I'm not aware of any specifics relating to the Pipex service. Following is
from their support pages.

PIPEX Xtreme ADSL service Connection Settings:-

VPI (Virtual Path Identifier): 0
VCI (Virtual Circuit Identifier): 38
Framing: VC/MUX
Mode: ITU G.dmt
Protocol: PPPoA
IP Address: Supplied by DHCP server
Host: Not Required
Connection Username: where user is your PIPEX Xtreme
username and realm is dsl, xtreme or xtreme2

Old August 10th 04, 12:18 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
cw

"Bob Hopeless" wrote in
:

I thought Pipex used PPPoE.

Pipex could not use PPPoE unless they installed their own fiber directly
to the end user's home. BT's dual copper network does not support PPPoE
therefore no ISP is likely to offer PPPoE in this country.

--
Colin
Old August 10th 04, 12:24 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Dominic

cw wrote:
"Bob Hopeless" wrote in
:

I thought Pipex used PPPoE.

Pipex could not use PPPoE unless they installed their own fiber
directly to the end user's home. BT's dual copper network does not
support PPPoE therefore no ISP is likely to offer PPPoE in this
country.

There was the the PPPoE pilot though (trial was first announced July 2002)

http://www.adslguide.org.uk/newsarchive.asp?item=1381

but I have never heard anything further about it?

Dom

Old August 10th 04, 11:55 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
cw

"Dominic" wrote in
:

but I have never heard anything further about it?

You wouldn't as it has nothing to do with end users:

"BT Wholesale has slowly been upgrading the various types of BT Central
(pipes used to connect an ISP to the BT Wholesale network) to support
PPPoE authentication."

My understanding is that the copper cables (aka last mile) would
physically have to be replaced for PPPoE to run to the end user whilst
the backbone network is more up to date and hence can run PPPoE.

--
Colin
Old August 10th 04, 12:20 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Dominic

cw wrote:
"Dominic" wrote in
:

but I have never heard anything further about it?

You wouldn't as it has nothing to do with end users:

I would do since I work for an ADSL ISP and I try to keep up-to-date with
BT's announcements.

Old August 10th 04, 09:17 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
cw

"Dominic" wrote in
:

I would do since I work for an ADSL ISP and I try to keep up-to-date
with BT's announcements.

Well you didn't say that did you :0
Any info on the trial will be on the BT Broadband site and I can't be
arsed routing out my old login and seeing if it still works. There should
be someone with the login you can ask at your workplace though.

--
Colin