Pipex 'late' cancellation...

Old August 10th 04, 11:48 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Steve Evans

Default Pipex 'late' cancellation...

I cancelled my pipex adsl on 6/07/04, and was informed that it was
normal for the service to be disconnected on the 27th of that month,
and to receive my last invoice at the end of the month.
I find that I'm still able to log into the website using my user/pass
and the info there tells me that my adsl line will be active until
27/08/04, even though the phone line carrying the service has been
cancelled. Seems like pipex have been a bit slow in cancelling and
going to try and charge me for an extra month of non-service. Is this
a pipex billing cock-up or should I have cancelled earlier in the
month?

I'm in a new residence now, and was just about to sign up with pipex
until this came to my attention. If pipex can't clear this up in the
next couple of days then it's off to another isp I'm afraid. Any
suggestions?

Cheers
--
steve AT steveevans DOT org
Old August 10th 04, 12:08 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
cw

ISPs normally have a 30 day cancellation period but what you describe
seems to be more than that. They have made you wait until the 27th of
that month and then applied the 30 day cancellation period. Check the
T&Cs of your account for the proper notification period because my guess
would be they shouldn't have made you wait until the 27th for the 30 day
notification to start but started that period immediately.

However, it makes sense in a way. You gave your 30 days notice on the 6th
July, which would mean your account would be cancelled on the 6th August.
If your billing date was the 27th July, then as per the terms and
conditions you would be billed for the next month. They could have
cancelled your account on the 6th August but if you have then paid for
the month, your account may aswell be left active till the end of that
month.

Is there any reason why you did a cancel/new order rather than simply
request for the ADSL to be moved from the old line to the new one? If you
did that then you wouldn't have the hassle of cancellation notification
periods..

--
Colin
Old August 10th 04, 12:25 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter Crosland

I'm in a new residence now, and was just about to sign up with pipex
until this came to my attention. If pipex can't clear this up in the
next couple of days then it's off to another isp I'm afraid. Any
suggestions?

What notice period did our contract specify? If you did not give sufficient
notice then Pipex are quite correct. Otherwise why not ask them?

Old August 10th 04, 12:51 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Steve Evans

On 10 Aug 2004 10:08:39 GMT, cw wrote:

However, it makes sense in a way. You gave your 30 days notice on the 6th
July, which would mean your account would be cancelled on the 6th August.
If your billing date was the 27th July, then as per the terms and
conditions you would be billed for the next month. They could have
cancelled your account on the 6th August but if you have then paid for
the month, your account may aswell be left active till the end of that
month.

I agree with your point but it seems crazy that they would round up to
the next month, especially on a phone line that has been cancelled.

Is there any reason why you did a cancel/new order rather than simply
request for the ADSL to be moved from the old line to the new one? If you
did that then you wouldn't have the hassle of cancellation notification
periods..

No BT line in the new property, only telewest whom I've given the
elbow, despite a rather tempting 1.5Mb service.

Cheers

--
steve AT steveevans DOT org