Setup Netgear DG834 with static IPs

Old August 10th 04, 03:03 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
gogaz

Default Setup Netgear DG834 with static IPs

Hi there,

We have got Win 2003 SBS which has got 2 NICs. One NIC is plugged to
Switch for internal LAN and the other one is plugged to Netgear DG834
for internet access. We have 1MB ADSL connection from Zen with 8
static IPs of which 1 is for the router and 1 is gateway address and 1
is broadcast address. so i can use remaining 5 addresses.
Right now i have configured the server's NIC (which is connected to
the router) to get IP address from the router's DHCP. So it gets
192.168.0.2
But i want to set it up with the one of the IP's i got from Zen so
that i can access my server remotely.
Can some one please tell me if its possible with Netgear DG834? If
yes, what settings i need to configure in the router? Coz one of our
other office sites have got Draytek Vigor 2600Plus and zen adsl, and
they have static ip working on the server.
The only workaround i came accross with this router is to set up
192.168.0.2 as DMZ server in router's setting, but this is definately
not the right approach.

Please help!

Regards
Old August 20th 04, 12:01 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Graham Tavener

If you want to access a server on your LAN externally you can use port
forwarding to forward SSH for example to the internal private IP. But this
can only be used to forward SSH to one internal IP as there is only one
external IP.
If you have different services on different ports or run SSH servers on
different ports for each server you could connect to each of them using the
same external IP and different ports. ie. 62.55.141.111 port 100 101 102

Normally you would want to use NAT and only have the one external public IP
as this will attract interest and you will have connection attempts scanning
ports for well known services and trojans. Nothing to worry about on your
external IP, but you might not want this traffic on your private network.

Tav

om...

Old August 20th 04, 09:24 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Simon Pleasants

"gogaz" wrote in message
. com...
[...]

Turn off NAT and set the static IP address for your SBS to use one of
those provided by Zen.