Static IP Question

Old August 11th 04, 11:30 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Phil Chung

Default Static IP Question

"Sam King" wrote in
:

Just one techie question that is bothering me. If I want use one
computer as a web server, hosting a page and a webcam of my village
and a second for my browsing, how many IP addresses do I need?

One will do, and a router. Forward port 80 for the web site to your web
server. That's what I do on my PlusNet connection (although there's no
web site there currently).

--
My photos: http://www.weezer.plus.com/
To send me an e-mail, remove TEETH
Old August 11th 04, 12:27 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Sam King

Hi

We are soon to have our exchange activated and as such I'm looking around at
various packages.

Old August 11th 04, 01:28 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Dominic

Sam King wrote:
Hi

We are soon to have our exchange activated and as such I'm looking
around at various packages.

Just one techie question that is bothering me. If I want use one
computer as a web server, hosting a page and a webcam of my village
and a second for my browsing, how many IP addresses do I need?

You can potentially run any number of servers with a single IP address if
necessary by forwarding the relevant ports to each computer. You just want
to one run web server, so as Phil says, you would just forward port 80 to
the private IP of that computer. NAT will take care of your browsing.
Virtually any router will let you set up port forwarding.

Dominic

Old August 11th 04, 02:50 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

Dominic wrote:
You can potentially run any number of servers with a single IP address if
necessary by forwarding the relevant ports to each computer.

Are there any web browsers still out there that still use HTTP 0.9 or
earlier? If not, you can run as many (virtual) web sites as you like on
a single web server (using a single IP address, all sharing port 80).

Chris
Old August 11th 04, 10:33 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Graham

We are soon to have our exchange activated and as such I'm looking around

at
various packages.

Just one techie question that is bothering me. If I want use one computer
as a web server, hosting a page and a webcam of my village and a second

for
my browsing, how many IP addresses do I need?

Do you really need a static IP address?

I use a free domain name from dyndns.org and an application called Eurocomp
3D watch to automatically inform dyndns whenever my IP changes.

I find it perfectly adequate for my purposes (mainly remote desktop)

--
Graham.

%Profound_observation%

Old August 12th 04, 11:18 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

Are there any web browsers still out there that still use HTTP 0.9 or
earlier? If not, you can run as many (virtual) web sites as you like
on a single web server (using a single IP address, all sharing port
80).

Dominic wrote:
What I meant was you can run
different types of server from a single IP i.e. you could forward 80 to one
private IP for your web server, and forward 25/110 to a different private IP
and run a mail server, all from the same static IP.

Sorry, yes of course. Must remember server != web server grin/
Chris
Old August 12th 04, 12:29 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Simon Pleasants

On Wed, 11 Aug 2004 10:27:21 GMT, "Sam King"
wrote:

Hi

We are soon to have our exchange activated and as such I'm looking around at
various packages.

Just one techie question that is bothering me. If I want use one computer
as a web server, hosting a page and a webcam of my village and a second for
my browsing, how many IP addresses do I need?

Just a thought, hope I've not misunderstood, but is your website not
going to be rather slow? Your maximum upstream connection will be
256kbps when running at full tilt - if you've got 10-15 users all
trying to browse the site it'll run at a snail's pace for them.
Furthermore, unlike a basic html page a web cam is likely to be
constantly streaming large amounts of information to everyone on the
site. I can't see how you can make this work given such a tiny amount
of bandwidth.