new dsl limits

Old August 11th 04, 08:36 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Gaz

Default new dsl limits

At the moment i am 5k from the exchange, we failed the line test. All the
lines are new (new build house), i am hoping when the noise limits are
relaxed we will be able to get 512.

A question, at the moment, our line is so bad that normal 56k modems wont
connect over 33k, i have an external high quality modem that reliably gets
me 38k though. With the new limits, how bad does your line have to be?

Would the line have to be so poor as to be noticable in voice calls?

Gaz

Old August 11th 04, 10:07 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Beck

"Gaz" wrote in message ...
At the moment i am 5k from the exchange, we failed the line test. All the
lines are new (new build house), i am hoping when the noise limits are
relaxed we will be able to get 512.

A question, at the moment, our line is so bad that normal 56k modems wont
connect over 33k, i have an external high quality modem that reliably gets
me 38k though. With the new limits, how bad does your line have to be?

Would the line have to be so poor as to be noticable in voice calls?

hmmm... mind ticks over Sounds like you may have dacs on your line, which
could have also caused the failed adsl test.
DACS is a system of technically splitting a line so it is shared between your
neighbours. When a line is on dacs, you will not get over 33k on your 56k modem
because effectively the line is cut in half so to speak.
ADSL does not run on dacs.
I suggest you phone tomorrow, 150 options 4,4,2 and explain that you want adsl
and you beleive you have a dacs line and it is failing your order. With any
luck they will remove it (may take several weeks) and then go for adsl again.

Old August 11th 04, 10:40 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Gaz

Beck wrote:
"Gaz" wrote in message
At the moment i am 5k from the exchange, we failed the line test.
All the lines are new (new build house), i am hoping when the noise
limits are relaxed we will be able to get 512.

A question, at the moment, our line is so bad that normal 56k modems
wont connect over 33k, i have an external high quality modem that
reliably gets me 38k though. With the new limits, how bad does your
line have to be?

Would the line have to be so poor as to be noticable in voice calls?

hmmm... mind ticks over Sounds like you may have dacs on your
line, which could have also caused the failed adsl test.

No DACS, the line quality is poor. I know what dacs is, and i dont have it,
i would have noticed that immediatly.

I suggest you phone tomorrow, 150 options 4,4,2 and explain that you
want adsl and you beleive you have a dacs line and it is failing your
order. With any luck they will remove it (may take several weeks)
and then go for adsl again.

I have got BT, through a&a isp, to install a new line tomorrow, on the
basis, if it carries DSL, then i pay for it, if not they remove it again
free of charge... worth a try. My business is tricky and tedious without
broadband.

Gaz

Old August 11th 04, 11:10 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Andrew Norman

On Wed, 11 Aug 2004 20:36:15 +0100, "Gaz" wrote:

A question, at the moment, our line is so bad that normal 56k modems wont
connect over 33k, i have an external high quality modem that reliably gets
me 38k though. With the new limits, how bad does your line have to be?

The speed you manage with an analog modem has little baring on the
suitability of the line for ADSL. The two are at such different
frequency ranges that you can easily have a line that is crap for
dialup, but fine for ADSL.

My phoneline never managed much more than 33k, but it was fine on 1mb
ADSL. Usefully the analog line quality actually improved slightly
after ADSL was installed.
--
Andy Norman
http://www.norman.cx/
Old August 12th 04, 12:14 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Paul G

"Beck" wrote in message
hmmm... mind ticks over Sounds like you may have dacs on your line,

Cant be DACS any connection over 33.6 wouldn't be possible.

Paul

Old August 12th 04, 10:37 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Beck

"Paul G" wrote in message

"Beck" wrote in message
hmmm... mind ticks over Sounds like you may have dacs on your line,

Cant be DACS any connection over 33.6 wouldn't be possible.

Yeah I missed the bit about the super duper modem.