Tiscali, router, 2 PCs

Old August 12th 04, 01:34 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Scribe

Default Tiscali, router, 2 PCs

Can the cheapest Tiscali broadband be used with a modem/router or just
router and the Tiscali supplied modem, and two PCs run off this one
broadband line?

Ideally I would like the router at the master phone socket, which is at one
end of the house, and the PCs fed via existing telephone wires, on different
floors at the other end of the house. The telephone wires can be connected
at the master socket/router to suit. Is this possible?

Grateful for any advise

TIA

Old August 12th 04, 01:51 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Dominic

Scribe wrote:
Can the cheapest Tiscali broadband be used with a modem/router or just
router and the Tiscali supplied modem, and two PCs run off this one
broadband line?

Ideally I would like the router at the master phone socket, which is
at one end of the house, and the PCs fed via existing telephone
wires, on different floors at the other end of the house. The
telephone wires can be connected at the master socket/router to suit.
Is this possible?

Any ADSL connection will support router and connection sharing (although
apparantly BT don't want you to do this on some of their packages, see "How
can BT tell the # of actual users").

You can only have one ADSL device connected to the telephone line. If you
want to connect multiple computers to ADSL, you will need a modem/router and
network cable from the router to each computer. As you suggest this is quite
a long way, you may want to either position the router closer to the
computers or consider using wireless networking (all-in-one wireless
modem/router products are available).

Was there a particular reason you wanted the router situated at the master
socket?

Dominic

Old August 12th 04, 02:34 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Scribe

"Dominic" wrote in message
Scribe wrote:
[...]

Thanks, and no. It just makes it more convenient for wiring having the
router/modem at the master socket. I could have it near the ground floor
computer, then there is the problem of getting upstairs. I can get upstairs
with the existing telephone line wires, that is why it is best to have the
router at the master and use the telephone lines to each computer. You say a
network cable must be used. Can normal telephone wires do? Do I need network
card in the back of each computer?

It may be a case of having the router/modem on the ground floor computer,
with this computer using a land line, and a wireless connection for the
upstairs computer. Can this be done? Are wireless connections slow and are
they expensive?

TIA again

Old August 12th 04, 02:47 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Dominic

Scribe wrote:
"Dominic" wrote in message
Scribe wrote:
Can the cheapest Tiscali broadband be used with a modem/router or
just router and the Tiscali supplied modem, and two PCs run off
this one broadband line?

Ideally I would like the router at the master phone socket, which is
at one end of the house, and the PCs fed via existing telephone
wires, on different floors at the other end of the house. The
telephone wires can be connected at the master socket/router to
suit. Is this possible?

snip

[...]

There is a technology called HPNA (home phone line networking) which lets
you use existing telephone lines for networking. I do believe this can still
work with ADSL on the line, but you'll have to do some research to find out
about it. Not sure of where sells the products you'd need.

I think wireless may be the best way to go for you. Speeds are up to 54Mbps
(108Mbps using a derived technology), but 11Mbps, which will be cheap to
implement, will be sufficient if you are only using it to share the ADSL
(since your ADSL connection will be much less than this anyway). 11Mbps
wireless ADSL routers with built in modems available for as little as 50,
and the wireless network cards for the PC around 15, so it's not too
expensive.

Dominic

Old August 12th 04, 04:21 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Scribe

"Dominic" wrote in message
Scribe wrote:
"Dominic" wrote in message
Scribe wrote:
[...]

Maplin's will be 80 for modem.wiles.router and 25 for the USB PC wireless
adapter. If one PC is at the router a cable can be connected directly only
requiring one wireless PC adapter. This makes it 105 plus the cost of
router to PC cable.