How can BT tell the # of actual users? Also service levels?

Old August 12th 04, 01:50 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

Default How can BT tell the # of actual users? Also service levels?

Peter wrote:
I am after two fixed IPs, and no restriction on the # of PCs. In
reality, it will be very light usage, although we will be running a
www and email server on the end of it.

PlusNet will offer two static IPs as part of their unrestricted BB
packages. I don't know about other providers.

The other thing is whether going to BT for BB is likely to get a
better service than using another BB ISP.

No. The general consensus appears to be that there are better ISPs
around. Check out adslguide.org.uk for details.

AFAIK, the only physical presence of another ISP is that ISP's
building, plus a fibre connection from them to BT. After that,
everything is over the BT network anyway.

ADSL gets you from your premises to the ISP. After that there's the
ISP's equipment (routers, proxies, caches, mail servers, and whatnot),
and after that there's the connection to "The Internet" (whatever you
like to define that as).

And given that the ISP will
have a very big incentive to keep their fibre to BT going at all
costs, I don't see how *BT* BB will be less likely to fail than
somebody else's BB.

Ah. BT Broadband is not BT Openworld is not
BT-the-ADSL-transport-layer-provider. Honest.

Nobody will offer any response level on BB, it seems

Yes, that's right (except *possibly* Andrews & Arnold), as the ADSL
layer is not under the direct control of any single ISP (including BT).

so what is the chance of BB failing but the underlying analog line
still working?

Fair.

The ISPs I am looking at are Clara (currently use them with a 64k
dial-up and they are generally up OK, if unresponsive to customer
service issues)

Surely that's a problem when you have an issue? I'm generally very happy
with PlusNet (I've been with them just about a year for BB; before that I
used Demon, Freeserve, and UKU for analogue dialup), and would be happy
to recommend them to you.

Chris
Old August 12th 04, 04:22 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
poster

On 12 Aug 2004 in uk.telecom.broadband, Peter wrote:

From the local exchange, all the way back through BT's network, it is

Whereas if I get a problem between (or in) the local exchange and
my premises, absolutely nobody will fix it unless I complain and it
will have to be BT doing the work because all the equipment is BT's.

There are options using other equipment than BT's network. Certainly
not available nationwide, but Easynet and Bulldog have their own kit
in some exchanges. Anyway, the general advice is that you will find
better deals looking around... There have also been comments which
are positive about BT's services (under their several brandings, in
that you can get BT Broadband or BT Yahoo! Broadband depending on
what you are after. I don't remember seeing either listed in the
'top 10' at ADSLguide.org but maybe I just didn't spot the month(s)
where they managed it. Speed isn't everything, of course, and you
might want a fixed IP address or to use some other facilities which
another ISP offers... Down to you to choose. Good luck with BT !!