Somethings wont work?

Old August 12th 04, 03:37 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Jason

Default Somethings wont work?

I have just gone from Dial Up to BB.

Some sites I normally go to that work fine with Dial Up wont now load with
BB. i.e.. some pictures sites, also windows update wont load anymore and
also I use prompter to collect mail etc, that wont work either.

Can anyone help with why this would be

Thanks again
Jason

Old August 12th 04, 06:03 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
:::Jerry::::

"Jason" wrote in message
I have just gone from Dial Up to BB.

Some sites I normally go to that work fine with Dial Up wont now load with
BB. i.e.. some pictures sites, also windows update wont load anymore and
also I use prompter to collect mail etc, that wont work either.

Can anyone help with why this would be

Who is your ISP and what product (speed, download limit etc.) ?

Old August 12th 04, 11:53 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Jason

":::Jerry::::" wrote in message

"Jason" wrote in message
I have just gone from Dial Up to BB.

Some sites I normally go to that work fine with Dial Up wont now load

with
BB. i.e.. some pictures sites, also windows update wont load anymore and
also I use prompter to collect mail etc, that wont work either.

Can anyone help with why this would be

Who is your ISP and what product (speed, download limit etc.) ?

BT Internet. Now I am on the 1mb package but its saying its connected at
1.1mb if that helps. I am the only one in our village who had BB as they
only did it last Friday.

Thanks

Jason

Old August 14th 04, 12:10 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Jason

"Jason" wrote in message
I have just gone from Dial Up to BB.

Some sites I normally go to that work fine with Dial Up wont now load with
BB. i.e.. some pictures sites, also windows update wont load anymore and
also I use prompter to collect mail etc, that wont work either.

Can anyone help with why this would be

Thanks again
Jason

Can anyone else help with this please

many thanks
Jason

Old August 14th 04, 09:48 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
King Queen

On Sat, 14 Aug 2004 00:10:22 +0100, "Jason"
wrote:

"Jason" wrote in message
I have just gone from Dial Up to BB.

Some sites I normally go to that work fine with Dial Up wont now load with
BB. i.e.. some pictures sites, also windows update wont load anymore and
also I use prompter to collect mail etc, that wont work either.

Can anyone help with why this would be

Thanks again
Jason

Can anyone else help with this please

Suggestions:

Clear your cache.

Check to see if you are set up to use a proxy for your old dialup
service and if so remove it from your settings.

(both the above in control panel, internet options)

Remove all entries in your .hosts file
http://www.mvps.org/winhelp2002/hosts.htm

Check your dialup connection (or network connection) DNS server
settings. If there are any, clear them and set it to set the DNS
server IPs automatically; if it is already automatic set it to use two
specific DNS servers (I notice btopenworld.com has 194.73.73.172,
194.73.73.173, 217.32.252.25, 217.32.252.225

Run an adware remover, adware can cause some strange things to happen
when browsing: I use Spybot Search and Destroy
http://security.kolla.de/

And if all the above fails, try a reinstall. Make sure you back up
important files and settings first, that you have the drivers for all
your hardware and you have a spare day or so! I find Windows tends to
go gradually crappy over a period of time - a reinstall is a good
thing.

Doug
--
King Queen - Remove .lartsspammers to reply. http://www.kingqueen.org.uk
"Advertising is the rattling of a stick in a swill bucket" George Orwell
Old August 14th 04, 09:51 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
King Queen

wrote:

"Jason" wrote in message
I have just gone from Dial Up to BB.

Some sites I normally go to that work fine with Dial Up wont now load with
BB. i.e.. some pictures sites, also windows update wont load anymore and
also I use prompter to collect mail etc, that wont work either.

Can anyone help with why this would be

Thanks again
Jason

Can anyone else help with this please

many thanks
Jason

PS what error messages do you get?
Are you using Norton Anti-Virus / Firewall? This can do strange things
to people's internet connections. Try uninstalling it (not just
disabling it!) and see if this sorts things out - suspect it will if
you use it - and if this helps, try using a different firewall /
anti-virus combo. Kerio, Tiny and Zonealarm are all free firewalls;
AVG is a free virus checker though many people think it is rubbish, or
you might have some other free antivirus packages hanging around, e.g.
on disks you got free with your PC.