New BT Activation Criteria

Old August 13th 04, 02:46 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Bill

Default New BT Activation Criteria

Checking out the UK ADSL league table:
http://www.samknows.com/broadband/league.php
I was surprised to see the the number of pre-registrations on 'unviable'
exchanges to those on exchanges given a 'ready for service date'.
For example Madderty (personal interest here !) has 39 preregistrations
and is 51st on the table of unviables but there are 180 exchanges with
less preregistrations that have been given service dates, including many
with less than 10 preregistered users !

How does this come about ? Are BT using reasons other than the simple
cost of ADSL provision here, ie they do not want to have to update
ancient exchanges or other systems ?

Great if you are one of the 4 people in Kielder, but not the 122 in Schivas.

Is the trigger level still 100 but unadvertised ? Anyone heard of
places actually doing Exchange Activate ?

Bill

Old August 13th 04, 07:02 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
:::Jerry::::

"Bill" wrote in message
snip

How does this come about ? Are BT using reasons other than the simple
cost of ADSL provision here, ie they do not want to have to update
ancient exchanges or other systems ?

Perhaps it the older exchanges that need to have work done that are jumping
up the list, if equipment is going to be renewed BT might as well go the
whole mile IYSWIM ?

Old August 13th 04, 07:41 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Sunil Sood

"Bill" wrote in message
How does this come about ? Are BT using reasons other than the simple
cost of ADSL provision here, ie they do not want to have to update ancient
exchanges or other systems ?

If BT have to update other parts of the exchange/their core network to
provide ADSL then that also comes under the "cost of ADSL provision"

I believe all the exchanges without trigger levels are now "small" ones -
(300 customers) with 10 of them having less than 10 customers each.

The biggest cost of supplying ADSL is normally laying fibre to the
exchange.. so I guess many of these 300 aare in pretty remote locations.

Great if you are one of the 4 people in Kielder, but not the 122 in
Schivas.

Is the trigger level still 100 but unadvertised ?

No and I don't think it has ever been.

Anyone heard of places actually doing Exchange Activate ?

No..

Regards
Sunil

Old August 13th 04, 08:14 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Chris Jones

I was surprised to see the the number of pre-registrations on 'unviable'
exchanges to those on exchanges given a 'ready for service date'.

Some regional development agencies, for example in the North East and in
Northern Ireland, have paid BT to enable all the exchanges in their region,
which is why some commercially unviable ones have service dates.

Old August 13th 04, 08:46 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Jonathan Buzzard

On Fri, 13 Aug 2004 19:14:39 +0100, Chris Jones wrote:

I was surprised to see the the number of pre-registrations on 'unviable'
exchanges to those on exchanges given a 'ready for service date'.

Some regional development agencies, for example in the North East and in
Northern Ireland, have paid BT to enable all the exchanges in their region,
which is why some commercially unviable ones have service dates.

Which is why Kielder is being activated. Further immediately after the
announcement that all exchanges in the North East where going to be
activated it became pointless to pre-register.

What surprises me is that in this list are an exchange in fairly central
London Docklands Zone Two, one in central Leeds Leeds/westgate Dxa,
and one in central Dundee, Dundee Tay. What is the score with these?

JAB.

--
Jonathan A. Buzzard Email: jonathan (at) buzzard.me.uk
Northumberland, United Kingdom. Tel: +44 1661-832195

Old August 14th 04, 04:28 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Stephen Wray

"Gareth Babb" wrote in message
. ..
On Fri, 13 Aug 2004 19:46:35 +0100, Jonathan Buzzard

wrote:

What surprises me is that in this list are an exchange in fairly central
London Docklands Zone Two, one in central Leeds Leeds/westgate Dxa,
and one in central Dundee, Dundee Tay. What is the score with these?

I don't know what "Leeds/westgate dxa" is exactly, but as it's in the

*very*
centre of Leeds (which is covered in ADSL), has 0 registrations and is in
*exactly* the same place as an exchange which is enabled (MYLS) then I

can't
believe it is a "real" exchange as such.

The exchange that is highlighted as leeds/westgate dxa is actually "Leeds
Basinghall"
Leeds Westgate telephone exchange is just to the left of the A58M, whereas
Leeds Eastgate exchange is to the right on the same road.

All three exhanges are ADSL enabled.

Stephen

Old August 16th 04, 01:29 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Bill

Sunil Sood wrote:

If BT have to update other parts of the exchange/their core network to
provide ADSL then that also comes under the "cost of ADSL provision"

I believe all the exchanges without trigger levels are now "small" ones -
(300 customers) with 10 of them having less than 10 customers each.

The biggest cost of supplying ADSL is normally laying fibre to the
exchange.. so I guess many of these 300 are in pretty remote locations.

The one of particular interest to me is 6 miles from its' parent (01xxx)
exchange on a microwave link to a building about 10 foot square. 200 or
300 subscribers is probably right, 39 ADSL regs putting it at 51 on the
list. Exchange Activate reads as if someone did raise the 25k BT would
do it, despite any other issues. I assume the microwave link is a big
problem ?

Is the trigger level still 100 but unadvertised ?

No and I don't think it has ever been.

I had seen a number of exchanges with activation targets of 100, so
thought that the target for all the small ones might be the same.

Bill