Cannot connect to certain sites and networks

Old August 13th 04, 07:22 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Lee Campbell

Default Cannot connect to certain sites and networks

Since yesterday morning I've been unable to access certain sites /
networks on my BT Yahoo 1MB service. I couldn't connect to our
services at work (VPN, POP3) etc so, thinking our work line was down
(also BT) I went to btconnect.com to check status but I couldn't
access that site. Also can't get to news.btopenworld.com as well.
Tried resetting the router, disabling firewalls, bypassing the router
by using the standard USB modem, tried a laptop from work and also
reinstalled XP on my machine (for another reason) - still no access.
Rang BT and emailed but all I got was 'try clearing your browsers
cache'...
All other sites I have tried are fine.
I've seen some lists of problem exchanges in other recent posts but
I'm not on one of those (01254).
Any ideas?
Old August 13th 04, 05:04 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Martyn Dewar

Lee Campbell wrote:

Since yesterday morning I've been unable to access certain sites /
networks on my BT Yahoo 1MB service. I couldn't connect to our
services at work (VPN, POP3) etc so, thinking our work line was down
(also BT) I went to btconnect.com to check status but I couldn't
access that site. Also can't get to news.btopenworld.com as well.
Tried resetting the router, disabling firewalls, bypassing the router
by using the standard USB modem, tried a laptop from work and also
reinstalled XP on my machine (for another reason) - still no access.
Rang BT and emailed but all I got was 'try clearing your browsers
cache'...
All other sites I have tried are fine.
I've seen some lists of problem exchanges in other recent posts but
I'm not on one of those (01254).
Any ideas?

Service sttus isnt on btconnect.com ... btyahoo service status is on
http://help.yahoo.com/bt

With regards to being unable to "get to news.btopenworld.com", you
werent trying to access it with a web browser, or from a non BT ip, were
you? It'll only work through a news reader (i.e. Forté Agent,
Thunderbird or spit Lookout Express) and from within the BT network
(i.e. if you were connected to your VPN and tried to connect to their
newsserver, it probably wouldnt work).

Old August 13th 04, 05:13 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Lee Campbell

I went to btconnect.com as we have a BT business broadband connection - I
thought our business line was down at first.
Only way I tried to get to news.btopenworld.com is with Outlook Express. I
can get into the BT Yahoo browser but the link to the service status doesn't
work there either. I'm at work now and everything is fine - all the services
(VPN etc) are available and in use.