Netgear DG834G + MSN (+Bittorrent) problems

Old August 13th 04, 12:29 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
AS

Default Netgear DG834G + MSN (+Bittorrent) problems

I've installed a Netgear DG834G wireless ADSL modem router and am
having a couple of issues...

Setup:
-P4 2.6 Desktop, Win XP Pro
-P3 Laptop, Win XP Pro
-Netgear DG834G

When using MSN on both the desktop and laptop, the connection keeps
dropping and reconnecting - the internet connection is fine, its only
MSN messenger.

The other thing was Bittorrent is much slower than before.

I previously connected using a PCI ADSL model directly into the phone
line and didn't experience these problems before.

I've followed the instructions for opening ports for MSN and
Bittorrent, but I'm sure that there is something I'm doing wrong.

When allowing Inbound connections, what do I specify for the incoming
LAN connection? I've put 192.168.0.2 which is the router IP - is this
correct or should I specify the desktop/laptop/other IP address?

I thought that if I specify the desktop IP for the MSN ports, there
would be problems when using MSN on the laptop...

A bit stuck, in need of digging out.

Rgds/
Al
Old August 13th 04, 09:36 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Nick Bennett

"AS" wrote in message
om...
I've installed a Netgear DG834G wireless ADSL modem router and am
having a couple of issues...

If you've only recently bought the DG834G, then chances are you're running
the default 1.03.00 firmware. You should upgrade to 1.05.00 from Netgear's
web site. This should fix most if not all of your problems.

Nick

Old August 13th 04, 10:18 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Andy Pandy

"Nick Bennett" wrote in message
"AS" wrote in message
om...
I've installed a Netgear DG834G wireless ADSL modem router and am
having a couple of issues...

If you've only recently bought the DG834G, then chances are you're running
the default 1.03.00 firmware. You should upgrade to 1.05.00 from Netgear's
web site. This should fix most if not all of your problems.

Nick

.... except wireless!

I've gone back to the 1.03.00 firmware because 1.04.01 and above are useless
for me in keeping a stable wireless connection. For some reason, 1.03.00 is
great. I get the impression that different people have success with the
different firmware releases though.

Andy

Old August 13th 04, 10:32 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Nick Bennett

"Andy Pandy" wrote in message

"Nick Bennett" wrote in message
"AS" wrote in message
om...
I've installed a Netgear DG834G wireless ADSL modem router and am
having a couple of issues...

If you've only recently bought the DG834G, then chances are you're

running
the default 1.03.00 firmware. You should upgrade to 1.05.00 from

Netgear's
web site. This should fix most if not all of your problems.

Nick

... except wireless!

I've gone back to the 1.03.00 firmware because 1.04.01 and above are

useless
for me in keeping a stable wireless connection. For some reason, 1.03.00

is
great. I get the impression that different people have success with the
different firmware releases though.

Andy

I have to say that 1.05.00 works fine for me - totally stable, no problems
with wireless. Have you tried changing the wireless channel? Mine defaulted
to channel 11 - I switched to 6 and the signal improved by about 20%.

Nick

Old August 14th 04, 12:23 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Filthy Rich

On Fri, 13 Aug 2004 21:18:25 +0100, "Andy Pandy"
I've gone back to the 1.03.00 firmware because 1.04.01 and above are useless
for me in keeping a stable wireless connection. For some reason, 1.03.00 is
great. I get the impression that different people have success with the
different firmware releases though.

Andy

Strange because 1.05 is the most stable release so far for me since
buying last November...

Filthy Rich
Music House
Old August 14th 04, 01:25 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
AS

If you've only recently bought the DG834G, then chances are you're running
the default 1.03.00 firmware. You should upgrade to 1.05.00 from Netgear's
web site. This should fix most if not all of your problems.

Thanks Nick.

The first thing I did was actually to upgrade the firmware - its running on
1.05.00... with the issues mentioned in the first post.

Rgds/
Al

Old August 14th 04, 01:02 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Steve Birch

"AS" wrote in message
om...
I've installed a Netgear DG834G wireless ADSL modem router and am having a

couple of issues...

snip

I upgraded mine to firmware 1.05 and still having issues with it:
(1) If the wireless is enabled, the WLAN resets itself every few minutes (as
evidenced by the new status page). The effect with firmware 1.04.01 was
similar except the whole router would crash.
(2) Using Bit Torrent or similar software, when the router gets busy (lots
of incoming connections?) then it inevitably crashes after a while, then
reconnects. I tried an Alcatel router in place, and this problem did not
occur. To my mind, this suggests that it's not ISP related.

I'm very dissappointed in the Netgear firmware. It seems to be a classic
case of rushing a product to market before it works properly.

- Steve

Old August 14th 04, 05:22 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
AS

I've followed the instructions for opening ports for MSN and
Bittorrent, but I'm sure that there is something I'm doing wrong.

When allowing Inbound connections, what do I specify for the incoming
LAN connection? I've put 192.168.0.2 which is the router IP - is this
correct or should I specify the desktop/laptop/other IP address?

I thought that if I specify the desktop IP for the MSN ports, there
would be problems when using MSN on the laptop...

A bit stuck, in need of digging out.

Installed Azureus for Bittorrent and its slow when resuming a download
(groan), but the speed has picked up to previous typical levels (after some
tweaking).

The MSN issue is still outstanding though - also applies to Trillian...

Anyone with tips on the final problem?

Rgds/
Al

Old August 16th 04, 10:23 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Simon Pleasants

On Fri, 13 Aug 2004 23:23:48 +0100, Filthy Rich
wrote:

On Fri, 13 Aug 2004 21:18:25 +0100, "Andy Pandy"
I've gone back to the 1.03.00 firmware because 1.04.01 and above are useless
for me in keeping a stable wireless connection. For some reason, 1.03.00 is
great. I get the impression that different people have success with the
different firmware releases though.

Andy

Strange because 1.05 is the most stable release so far for me since
buying last November...

Filthy Rich
Music House

I agree - v1.05 is definitely better than anything previously.