ADSL filters : preparing for broadband

Old August 13th 04, 02:40 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Derek

Default ADSL filters : preparing for broadband

I have browsed the various postings and to be honest I still do not
know what I should do about buying more ADSL filters now that I have
placed an order for broadband connection

Currently I have a single BT socket.
This is has plug in a twin splitter. One part is connected to the
telephone in the kitchen.
The part of the splitter has a cable that feeds into the sitting room.
This has a twin splitter : one goes to my wife's laptop, the other
takes a cable to in and then out of my pc modem.
The cable then goes to another splitter : one goes to DECT phone, the
other goes to Sky box.
Laptop and PC would not work at same time, broadband for laptop but
could be good to be able to connect it to my PC

Where do I need to place filters for ADSL.
As you can see from above I am not the best of handymen, but it works.

Any advice on filters welcomed.
Old August 13th 04, 02:55 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Dominic

Derek wrote:
I have browsed the various postings and to be honest I still do not
know what I should do about buying more ADSL filters now that I have
placed an order for broadband connection

Currently I have a single BT socket.
This is has plug in a twin splitter. One part is connected to the
telephone in the kitchen.

Filter here, so that the telephone in the kitchen is filtered.

The part of the splitter has a cable that feeds into the sitting room.
This has a twin splitter : one goes to my wife's laptop, the other
takes a cable to in and then out of my pc modem.

Filter here instead of the splitter, if the PC modem is still going to be
used for dialup. Cable that goes to laptop would now go to ADSL modem on the
ADSL side, and cable to PC modem on the phone side.

The cable then goes to another splitter : one goes to DECT phone, the
other goes to Sky box.

Filter before the splitter, so that both these phones are filtered.

Laptop and PC would not work at same time, broadband for laptop but
could be good to be able to connect it to my PC

snip

Every telephone device on the line needs to be filtered from the ADSL
signal. You could probably rearrange your splitters to do it a different
way, but make sure every telephone device is on the phone side of an ADSL
filter, somehow. You probably don't want your ADSL modem going off too many
extension cables and phone splitters by the way.

You could get an ADSL router instead of a modem and connect both laptop and
PC to broadband at the same time.

Dominic

Old August 13th 04, 06:19 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Dominic

sean wrote:
Dominic wrote:
Derek wrote:

I have browsed the various postings and to be honest I still do not
know what I should do about buying more ADSL filters now that I have
placed an order for broadband connection

big snip
Every telephone device on the line needs to be filtered from the ADSL
signal. You could probably rearrange your splitters to do it a
different way, but make sure every telephone device is on the phone
side of an ADSL filter, somehow. You probably don't want your ADSL
modem going off too many extension cables and phone splitters by the
way. You could get an ADSL router instead of a modem and connect both
laptop and PC to broadband at the same time.

Filter

Router

Nice one

I like that router, especially with the latest firmware update (if you turn
the firewall function off). The suggested filters are fine - you even get a
decent price break for 2+ and 5+, but *some* devices can be fussy and will
interfere unless you're using a high quality filter e.g. some older phones,
cordless phones etc. At the price you might as well buy them and see.

Think by my calculations you need 3 filters, unless your ISP is supplying
some.

Dominic

Old August 13th 04, 06:47 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
sean

Dominic wrote:

sean wrote:

Dominic wrote:

Derek wrote:

[...]

I have those filters,and router, and some 'speed touch' filters i got with my modem.

When using the speedtouch ones on my BT Decor 310 wired phone, i got a annoying screeching
sound on the phone, but when i use the 'cheap' ones i have mentioened, i have a VERY clear
line. Would not know ADSL was there. Also the filters work with the DECT phones in the house.

Old August 28th 04, 06:00 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Derek

"Dominic" wrote in message ...
Derek wrote:
[...]

Many thanks for your advice. It all seems to work OK with 3 filters.
Of course, lots of problems with BT activating phone line, one day no
phone line at all, but Fasthosts support excellent in providing help.
Old August 28th 04, 01:23 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Stewart

I would try to work with as few filters as possible to begin with. I went
and bought extra when connecting to wanadoo broadband and now find I have
too many. You only need them when the computer is on line and even then it
is not difficult to switch the broadband connection off and take the call.
You do not need one for every phone but just for the one you wish to use
when the computer is on line.
You can buy more as you need them from pc world at about 11 each.

Old August 29th 04, 01:09 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

On Sat, 28 Aug 2004 12:23:49 +0100, "Stewart"
wrote:

I would try to work with as few filters as possible to begin with. I went
and bought extra when connecting to wanadoo broadband and now find I have
too many. You only need them when the computer is on line and even then it
is not difficult to switch the broadband connection off and take the call.
You do not need one for every phone but just for the one you wish to use
when the computer is on line.
You can buy more as you need them from pc world at about 11 each.

11 - Good Grief!
Why not look at:
I have a number in use.

"Derek" wrote in message
m...
"Dominic" wrote in message

Derek wrote:
I have browsed the various postings and to be honest I still do not
know what I should do about buying more ADSL filters now that I have
placed an order for broadband connection

snip
snip

David