BT Broadband Basic

Old August 13th 04, 11:27 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
David Bradley

Default BT Broadband Basic

I have discovered that my brother in law has signed up with BT
Broadband Basic at the begining of the week and has yet to get on line
at all despite numerous calls to the help desk. So in desperation has
asked for assistance from me.

It is therefore time for me to bone up on this package and supplier,
from which I can see right away that there is no WEB space or email
facilities provided. I can't see him having a WEB page so that's no
real loss but I really don't understand the steps necessary to obtain
POP3 and SMTP servers if nothing is provided by the ISP.

My brother in law has a btopenworld email address which he would like
to keep, but how is this intergrated into the BT Broadband Basic
package? Help on this one would really be appreciated.

I would like him to bundle the hardware up and send the lot back to BT
on the grounds that what has been provided is not suitable for his
needs, but with a one year contract in place is this possible at this
early stage into the contract period without suffering a finicial
penality? Any thoughts on this from readers of this newsgroup please?

David Bradley
Old August 14th 04, 10:28 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Andrew

"David Bradley" wrote in message
news

[...]

Its possible to have email with the BTBroadband basic package
but keeping a btopenworld address does mean either connecting
using a modem every 90 days to keep the account active, ( i believe
the 90 days is still correct) or pay BTYahoo 1.50 a month for
their premium mail package.

If you/he decides to go down the premium mail route the link
for this is:
http://www.btopenworld.com/bbdirect/regbegin2

Hope that helps

Andrew

Old August 14th 04, 12:33 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
David Bradley

On Sat, 14 Aug 2004 09:28:25 +0100, "Andrew"
wrote:

[...]

Your response was much appreciated.

David Bradley
Hope that helps

Andrew

Old August 14th 04, 04:58 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Beck

[...]

You don't say whether he has been unable to get connected due to problems or if
he has not yet been connected at the exchange. If he has not yet been connected
via the exchange then he is well within his rights to cancel the package as the
contract does not start until you are connected to the exchange and your account
is working.

Old August 15th 04, 02:04 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Sunil Sood

"David Bradley" wrote in message
news
My brother in law has a btopenworld email address which he would like
to keep, but how is this intergrated into the BT Broadband Basic
package? Help on this one would really be appreciated.

See http://www.btyahoo.com/mail?campaign=btbbstart - he can keep the address
free if he is happy to accept webmail access only or he can pay a monthly
free if he wants continued SMTP/POP access as well

Otherwise, he could just use his dialup modem and dial in to BT
Openworld/Yahoo every 3 months..

I would like him to bundle the hardware up and send the lot back to BT
on the grounds that what has been provided is not suitable for his
needs, but with a one year contract in place is this possible at this
early stage into the contract period without suffering a finicial
penality? Any thoughts on this from readers of this newsgroup please?

It depends on exactly when your brother in law signed up but you may still
be able to cancel the contract for no penalty - especially if is not yet
connected or has only just been.

The T&C are at
http://www.bt.com/btbroadband/ns_pre...RMS_CONDITIONS
especially para 15 and 19.

Regards
Sunil

Old August 16th 04, 10:06 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
poster

On 15 Aug 2004 in uk.telecom.broadband, "Sunil Sood" wrote:

he can keep the address free if he is happy to accept webmail access
only or he can pay a monthly free if he wants continued SMTP/POP access

There are some free webmail services around, some with generous mail
allowances (eg 1 GB) and even mail from yahoo.co.uk offers 100 MB at
no cost, with POP/SMTP access (AFAICR, might need to double-check my
settings). I'd avoid an ISP-specific mail address if poss, saves on
hassle if you change ISP in a few days/weeks/months... Peter M.
Old August 19th 04, 07:37 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
David Bradley

On Sun, 15 Aug 2004 01:04:42 +0100, "Sunil Sood"
wrote:

[...]

Assistance provided here is always appreciated, so just an update to
this task following a visit with the vision that some of the problems
encountered may be of use to other readers.

* Only a single master socket in the house, so the service to the PC
upstairs was via an extension lead from this socket. Two filters were
used, one at the end of extension lead and the other for the phone at
the master socket location. However the filter was first plugged into
the master socket and a doubler used to give the service upstairs and
also a feed to the phone. This error of sequence of equipment was
corrected before proceeding.

* The USB ADSL modem indicated there was no service although the phone
worked. I happened to have with me a Vigor 2600 and plugged this into
the master socket - the ADSL light synced in.

* Replaced the extension lead with one that was just long enough and
tried the Vigor 2600 at the end of this line. Again the ADSL light
synced in.

* It turns out the service was BT Broadband [at 25.99 / month] but
the supplied CD to load the ADSL modem drivers, and other software,
refused to auto run. However the contents could be read.

* It is an e-machine with Xp Home with 128Mb of memory running at
1GHz. Concluded the memory was insufficient and added another 128Mb
stick.

* Used the Vigor 2600, connected to the NIC card on the PC and
configured in the userid. Made a satisfactory connection to the
Internet. Downloaded Ad-Aware and CWSShedder. Adaware discovered 468
Spyware programs, which were deleted and CWSSheedder found 16
instances of errors to correct/delete.

* Used Add/Remove to remove software of a dubious nature and defragged
the PC.

* Disconnected the Vigor 2600.

* The BT Broadband installation disk would now fire up and the
appropriate responses were made to the questions posed. After a
reboot, the newly acquired icon on the desktop made a satisfactory
connection to the Internet.

* Much to my considerable surprise, no alteration was necessary to the
previous configuration of email account to BTOpenworld performed to
both send and receive emails.

* Job done, but it did take 7 hours in all to get a satisfactory
result and a happy bunny with a PC that works to his satisfaction.

------------------------------------

What comes out of this are a number of questions that I would like to
pose to this newsgroup:

1) Why does BT use a proprietary method to use make a connection to
the Internet? It does not show on the Network Connections page and
therefore I can't see how Xp Home's firewall can be deployed.

2) What is the rationale of not supplying email functionality with
this product?

3) There seems to be a very short idle time out. Is this adjustable
and how does this equate to the "always on" claim?

3) What are the maximum and minimum values that are likely to be see
for "SNR Margin" and " Loop Att."? What are the best and average
values seen?

4) At 25.99 / month is this not a very overpriced product?

David Bradley

Old August 19th 04, 08:25 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Sunil Sood

"David Bradley" wrote in message
What comes out of this are a number of questions that I would like to
pose to this newsgroup:

1) Why does BT use a proprietary method to use make a connection to
the Internet? It does not show on the Network Connections page and
therefore I can't see how Xp Home's firewall can be deployed.

Its a USB modem - Windows normally sees those as dial-up connections?

As such the Windows Firewall should work.

2) What is the rationale of not supplying email functionality with
this product?

They had to differenate BT Broadband from BT Yahoo. (and justify the price
difference)

BT did this by making everythign apart from connectivity optional and
providing a portal (http://www.bt.com/btbroadbandstart) to help customers
choose their own services.

If BT had not done this they would have faced even more complaints from
other ISP's unfair competiton then they received, when they announced the
service.

3) There seems to be a very short idle time out. Is this adjustable
and how does this equate to the "always on" claim?

Its a USB modem - if you disconnect, it will change IP address.

If it seems to be disconnecting "itself" - then that is normally down to the
Windows settings somewhere..

Otherwise use an ADSL modem/router?

3) What are the maximum and minimum values that are likely to be see
for "SNR Margin" and " Loop Att."?

You don't want to see an SNR of below 6.

Likewise, if the Loop Att. heads above 60 you will probably start
experiencing RADSL (slower upload)

4) At 25.99 / month is this not a very overpriced product?

Its a BT product - they are normally not allowed to be the cheapest!

BT Broadband Basic is 19.99/20.99
The other/standard BT Broadband service is 24.99/25.99

There is also a 1MB version

If your brother in law pays by direct debit/monthly payment plan he will get
the lower price, as well as save 12/year on his BT line rental.

Regards
Sunil

Old August 20th 04, 10:28 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
David Bradley

On Thu, 19 Aug 2004 19:25:57 +0100, "Sunil Sood"
wrote:

"David Bradley" wrote in message
.. .
What comes out of this are a number of questions that I would like to
pose to this newsgroup:

1) Why does BT use a proprietary method to use make a connection to
the Internet? It does not show on the Network Connections page and
therefore I can't see how Xp Home's firewall can be deployed.

Its a USB modem - Windows normally sees those as dial-up connections?

As such the Windows Firewall should work.

Last time I looked, there was not an entry showing on the Network
Connections Page [Under Dial-Up] where it would, of course, be
possible to switch on/off the Firewall [with Xp Home SP1]. Can't
immediatly revist this page as the PC the service is provided on is 60
miles away. Can any other BT Broadband customer conform this is the
case?

2) What is the rationale of not supplying email functionality with
this product?

They had to differenate BT Broadband from BT Yahoo. (and justify the price
difference)

BT did this by making everythign apart from connectivity optional and
providing a portal (http://www.bt.com/btbroadbandstart) to help customers
choose their own services.

If BT had not done this they would have faced even more complaints from
other ISP's unfair competiton then they received, when they announced the
service.

Surprisingly, a large section of the population believes that
Broadband services are ONLY available from BT, AOL and Fresserve. As
it is usually marketed as a service that is "up to ten times faster
than dial up" surley expectations would be that what was provided
would include email functionality? How is it expected that such
'clueless' end users "choose their own services"? OK the supplied
booklet and included CD mentions the subject, but IMHO does not go
into the subject sufficiently to help the end user.

3) There seems to be a very short idle time out. Is this adjustable
and how does this equate to the "always on" claim?

Its a USB modem - if you disconnect, it will change IP address.

If it seems to be disconnecting "itself" - then that is normally down to the
Windows settings somewhere.

I would have though so, but could not find where to do so. Help on
this would be appreciated.

Otherwise use an ADSL modem/router?

That's obviously the best thing to use but the package comes with a
"free" ADSL modem, the targeted end users would not necessarily know
that such a product existed. And in any case why throw something away
which you have just "paid" for?

3) What are the maximum and minimum values that are likely to be see
for "SNR Margin" and " Loop Att."?

You don't want to see an SNR of below 6.

Likewise, if the Loop Att. heads above 60 you will probably start
experiencing RADSL (slower upload)

4) At 25.99 / month is this not a very overpriced product?

Useful background information, thank you. But what is considered to
be the average values that end users get?

Its a BT product - they are normally not allowed to be the cheapest!

BT Broadband Basic is 19.99/20.99
The other/standard BT Broadband service is 24.99/25.99

There is also a 1MB version

If your brother in law pays by direct debit/monthly payment plan he will get
the lower price, as well as save 12/year on his BT line rental.

But is there a similar offering elsewhere that does not provide email
functionality as part of the package? I could not find one, and so
comparrisions on price are impossible to make. To me, SMTP is a core
feature and therefore worth a lot of money, therefore BT Broadboad
shoulfd be the cheapest provider in town!

Regards
Sunil

David Bradley
Old August 20th 04, 12:19 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
:::Jerry::::

"David Bradley" wrote in message
snip

But is there a similar offering elsewhere that does not provide email
functionality as part of the package? I could not find one, and so
comparrisions on price are impossible to make. To me, SMTP is a core
feature and therefore worth a lot of money, therefore BT Broadboad
shoulfd be the cheapest provider in town!

Remember there are many people who, even if they have an (dial-up) ISP with
SMTP / POP email service they still chose to use a web-mail account (Hotmail
etc.) due to the *ease* at which they can read their mail on any computer
even abroad. I know someone (retired) who, due to a lot of travelling both
in this country and abroad only has a 'web-mail' account with Hotmail and
would be quite happy with something like BT Broadband, if SWMBO would allow
him to have it... :~)