Any *real* advantage to 512 kbit over 256 kbit?

Old August 14th 04, 01:57 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
sean

Default Any *real* advantage to 512 kbit over 256 kbit?

David Marsh wrote:
I'm looking to sign up to broadband, but was wondering..

My main requirement really is availability and non-blocking of the phone
line. Speed is _to some extent_ secondary.

I'm therefore wondering whether there is any *real* advantage to a
512 kbit connection over a 256 kbit connection?
(However, I reckon 150 kbit is probably a corner cut too far, given
the minimal savings on offer for the much lower speed ;-)

Obviously, the faster connection allows downloads twice as fast, but in
general I think can probably live with that?

(My main download requirements are likely to be the occasional distro
ISO images, ie a large download every few months, which I can probably
leave overnight anyway)

The only significant issue I can think of is in attempting to watch a
high-bandwidth application such as streaming video. Often video clips
come in both modem and broadband formats: is there a general unofficial
minimum bandwidth requirement for broadband clips? Would 256 kbit be
fast enough to view such clips, or is 512 kbit normally expected for
high bandwidth clips, so that it would turn out that I'd be stuck with
the lower-quality modem clips, which somewhat defeats the effort :-(

I'm thinking of signing up to a Solo 250 account with Pipex, does
anybody have any comments on this?

Thanks,

David.

I've got Pipex Solo 500, and its very good
Old August 14th 04, 03:28 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
bextech.org.uk

"sean" -k wrote in message
David Marsh wrote:
[...]

I'm very happy with Pipex.

--
For free calls: http://www.bextech.me.uk/talktalk.htm
For Mobile Phone Offers: http://bextechtelecom.2u.co.uk

Old August 15th 04, 03:19 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Dan

Do not go any lower then 512k. 256 is not enough to watch broadband quality
streaming video. Windows media player and especially quicktime already tax
my 1mb connection.

Dan

Old August 16th 04, 02:54 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
boo_star

"Dan" wrote in message
Do not go any lower then 512k. 256 is not enough to watch broadband
quality
streaming video. Windows media player and especially quicktime already tax
my 1mb connection.

Dan

snip

A lot are 300kbps but I have increasing seen 600kbps streams now. As you
said, if you want to watch "broadband" quality videos, 512k is a minimum.