Nearly there?

Old August 14th 04, 04:25 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter Callison

Default Nearly there?

Well, I never thought I would get it, (Broadband that is) but my
activation date is the 17th with Pipex.
I am one of those rural types probably about six to seven miles from
exchange but hey, passed the BT test and can't wait to try it out.
Modem is hooked up software ready..............I thought most people
seemed to be able to use the connection before the activation date? Or
has Pipex\BT tightened up on this?

Pete
Old August 14th 04, 05:03 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Beck

"Peter Callison" wrote in message
news
Well, I never thought I would get it, (Broadband that is) but my
activation date is the 17th with Pipex.
I am one of those rural types probably about six to seven miles from
exchange but hey, passed the BT test and can't wait to try it out.
Modem is hooked up software ready..............I thought most people
seemed to be able to use the connection before the activation date? Or
has Pipex\BT tightened up on this?

Do you know what the line distance is from you to the exchange?
Yes you may be able to use the account before the activation date. If its not
ready today, I doubt it will be ready this weekend, but if you are lucky you
might get activated by Monday night.

Old August 14th 04, 05:11 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter Callison

No sorry, only know the mileage as the crow flies, but we are talking
pretty ropey lines along poles here. Will be interested what sort of
performance will be forthcoming. Will let you know.

Pete

Old August 14th 04, 06:09 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Paul Kirk

"Brian Morrison" wrote in message
news
On Sat, 14 Aug 2004 15:25:20 +0100, in article
Peter Callison
wrote:

I am one of those rural types probably about six to seven miles from
exchange but hey, passed the BT test and can't wait to try it out.

6 to 7 miles is 10km, so on current limits you would be way over. When
do they revised limits come in, September isn't it?

--

Brian Morrison

please observe reply-to address

My exchange was enabled on a Thursday and my line activated the a Saturday
morning. Five days before my actual activation date.

So, fingers crossed for ya.

Old August 14th 04, 07:05 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
PlusNet Support Team

On Sat, 14 Aug 2004 15:25:20 +0100, Peter Callison
wrote:

Well, I never thought I would get it, (Broadband that is) but my
activation date is the 17th with Pipex.
I am one of those rural types probably about six to seven miles from
exchange but hey, passed the BT test and can't wait to try it out.
Modem is hooked up software ready..............I thought most people
seemed to be able to use the connection before the activation date? Or
has Pipex\BT tightened up on this?

Pete

Hi Pete,

Six to seven miles is quite a distance, hopefully it'll all go well.
Sometimes people's lines are activated early, this is dependant on the
availability of a frames engineer to do the work at your local exchange.
Sometimes they can do it early, sometimes not.

With Regards,

Dave,
Old August 14th 04, 11:23 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Beck

"Peter Callison" wrote in message
No sorry, only know the mileage as the crow flies, but we are talking
pretty ropey lines along poles here. Will be interested what sort of
performance will be forthcoming. Will let you know.

Please do. I am about 3 miles as the crow flies, but the line routes around
6.75km so I cannot get broadband.

Old August 14th 04, 11:24 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Beck

wrote:

I am one of those rural types probably about six to seven miles from
exchange but hey, passed the BT test and can't wait to try it out.

6 to 7 miles is 10km, so on current limits you would be way over. When
do they revised limits come in, September isn't it?

I have known of rare cases when adsl works up to 10km,but it is very rare. The
line quality must have been extraordinary.

Old August 15th 04, 01:12 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Beck

"Brian Morrison" wrote in message
news
On Sat, 14 Aug 2004 21:24:28 +0000, in article

wrote:

I am one of those rural types probably about six to seven miles from
exchange but hey, passed the BT test and can't wait to try it out.

6 to 7 miles is 10km, so on current limits you would be way over. When
do they revised limits come in, September isn't it?

I have known of rare cases when adsl works up to 10km,but it is very rare.

The
line quality must have been extraordinary.

Yes, but my point is that until the new attenuation limits (that in the
case of 512k are effectively "there is no limit") are introduced, BT would
not have approved an order on a line *known* to be that long.

So, does this mean that the new limits are in use on recent orders? I
believed the date for this to be as of September.

I don't think anything should be read into this yet. Peter has guessed the
length of his line and has not provided clear figures on what his line length
really is.

Old August 16th 04, 02:57 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
boo_star

"Peter Callison" wrote in message
news snip
I thought most people
seemed to be able to use the connection before the activation date? Or
has Pipex\BT tightened up on this?

Pete

It depends how busy the engineers are at the time. From what I have read
recently, less and less people are being activated early because the
engineers have so many jobs to do.

But what's 1 day anyway? Have fun with your new connection

Old August 16th 04, 03:01 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
boo_star

"Peter Callison" wrote in message
No sorry, only know the mileage as the crow flies, but we are talking
pretty ropey lines along poles here. Will be interested what sort of
performance will be forthcoming. Will let you know.

Pete

The new limits haven't been imposed yet, so you're highly likely to get
512/256. At worst your upstream will drop a few k (in increments of 32, but
it's VERY rare to see rate adaption kick in at all.)