transparent proxy (virgin)

Old August 15th 04, 02:36 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Mark Crowther

Default transparent proxy (virgin)

I see virgin are using a transparent web proxy.

I need to bypass it and surf 'direct'. Any idea how I might do this?
thanks

mark

Old August 15th 04, 02:40 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
smee

If you have a list of proxy servers that you can use then go here to see how
to use them
http://www.chetnet.co.uk/articles/in...x_v2&id=32&c=5

Old August 15th 04, 02:58 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Mark Crowther

"smee" wrote in message
If you have a list of proxy servers that you can use then go here to see

how
to use them
http://www.chetnet.co.uk/articles/in...x_v2&id=32&c=5

thanks, but that's not what i meant. virgin has a transparent proxy which
intercept all web traffic, so even if I explicitly set a proxy in my
browser, it'll just be my proxy communicating with virgin's proxy (which in
turn communicates with the web server at thesite.com). I need to establish
a direct proxy-less connection between my computer and thesite.com

Old August 15th 04, 03:08 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Mark Crowther

"chris" wrote in message
Surely you've answered your own question..? The only way to get past a
transparent proxy cache is to specify another proxy. I suggest you
switch ISPs to one that doesnt proxy all port 80 traffic.
--
chris

maybe not. some more searching has revealed that some ppl have had luck with
http tunnelling over SSL. I can't find any specifics but it might be
possible to get past the proxy after all.

Old August 15th 04, 08:04 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Dan

Refreshing stale pages in the web cache

While a copy of a page is stored in a proxy cache, the original page could
be updated, and users would never see it, because the proxy will return the
stale copy to users. Even if a browser user clicks on Refresh or Reload, the
proxy will still return the stale version.

With MSIE for Windows, the fix is to use Ctrl-Refresh (hold down the Ctrl
key while clicking on Refresh) or Ctrl-F5, which causes the transparent
proxy to refresh its copy of the page from the original web server. However,
Ctrl-Refresh does not work with:
MSIE v5.5 unless it has been updated with Service Pack 1 or higher. MSIE
v5.5 (without the service pack) was the version of MSIE supplied with
Windows 2000 and Windows ME.
MSIE 5.01 and MSIE 5.01 SP1.

Google is your friend!

Dan

"chris" wrote in message
On Sun, 15 Aug 2004 13:08:56 GMT and in article IfJTc.233$Xu.30
@newsfe4-gui.ntli.net, Mark Crowther said...
: "chris" wrote in message
: ...
: Surely you've answered your own question..? The only way to get past

: transparent proxy cache is to specify another proxy. I suggest you
: switch ISPs to one that doesnt proxy all port 80 traffic.
: --
: chris
:
: maybe not. some more searching has revealed that some ppl have had luck

with
: http tunnelling over SSL.

Well, good luck. Sounds too much like effort imo

--
chris

Old August 15th 04, 09:01 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
poster

On 15 Aug 2004, in uk.telecom.broadband, "Mark Crowther" wrote:

some ppl have had luck with http tunnelling over SSL.

I thought 'ppl' was an AOL affliction... ah well, live and learn, but
how much of a second or two does it save over typing the word people ?

it might be possible to get past the proxy after all.

I've previously used such a method, but if you don't mind me asking,
what's the reason for needing to do this ? I know some cache servers
can be unduly sluggish, but tunnelling is usually a more complex method
to avoid it than some other means, and can be costly too... Peter M.
Old August 15th 04, 09:02 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
poster

On 15 Aug 2004, in uk.telecom.broadband, chris wrote:

Sounds too much like effort

works well, once set up OK... but something I'd avoid if poss!
Old August 15th 04, 10:22 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Eric Lee

On Sun, 15 Aug 2004 14:08:56 +0100, Mark Crowther wrote:

"chris" wrote in message
Surely you've answered your own question..? The only way to get past a
transparent proxy cache is to specify another proxy. I suggest you
switch ISPs to one that doesnt proxy all port 80 traffic. -- chris

maybe not. some more searching has revealed that some ppl have had luck
with http tunnelling over SSL. I can't find any specifics but it might
be possible to get past the proxy after all.

Yes, but all this lets you do is create a tunnel to a specific machine on
a non-proxing ISP (like Plus.net) which you then use as a router or proxy
to bypass your badly-chosen ISP. So you need access to another machine
on another ISP.

Eric Lee
Old August 15th 04, 10:29 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
ed

"Dan" wrote in message
[...]

this has nothing to do with refreshing stale pages. Please don't make
(incorrect) assumptions and then write sarcastic comments like "Google is
your friend!". My original post said nothing about page refreshes. Read it
again if you don't beleive me.

Old August 15th 04, 10:32 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Mark Crowther

"poster" wrote in message
On 15 Aug 2004, in uk.telecom.broadband, "Mark Crowther" wrote:

some ppl have had luck with http tunnelling over SSL.

I thought 'ppl' was an AOL affliction... ah well, live and learn, but
how much of a second or two does it save over typing the word people ?

my apoligies. I normally don't abbreviate on usenet... momentary lapse in
concentration on my part

I've previously used such a method, but if you don't mind me asking,
what's the reason for needing to do this ? I know some cache servers
can be unduly sluggish, but tunnelling is usually a more complex method
to avoid it than some other means, and can be costly too... Peter M.

I make use of several banking/finance sites which detect the proxy and
refuse to server the page, instead redirecting to a holding page asking me
to disable the proxy.

Having only recently switched to virgin from plusnet, I'm not too keen on
changing ISP again. I'd appreciate more info on your method.

mark