ADSL Debugging?

Old August 15th 04, 03:02 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Ian Waring

Default ADSL Debugging?

I live at the periphery of an exchange area, have BT Business Broadband,
and have the line (and/or DNS) go with alarming regularity (4 times
yesterday for instance).

The recommendation I get from support is to disconnect all telephone
equipment (all have filters!) to see if the problem goes away. However,
this really isn't sustainable for a business!

Does anyone know of any test or test equipment that will show if the
line is running within "normal" electrical operating specs - or indeed
to know if the problem is in my house, between my house and the
exchange, or indeed further up than that?

Any advice or guidance gratefully received.

Ian W.
Old August 15th 04, 03:12 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Hiram Hackenbacker

On Sun, 15 Aug 2004 13:02:01 +0000 (UTC), Ian Waring
wrote:

I live at the periphery of an exchange area, have BT Business Broadband,
and have the line (and/or DNS) go with alarming regularity (4 times
yesterday for instance).

The recommendation I get from support is to disconnect all telephone
equipment (all have filters!) to see if the problem goes away. However,
this really isn't sustainable for a business!

Does anyone know of any test or test equipment that will show if the
line is running within "normal" electrical operating specs - or indeed
to know if the problem is in my house, between my house and the
exchange, or indeed further up than that?

Any advice or guidance gratefully received.

There was a thread a week or so ago which suggested using the single
master filter (what was once an engineer install) provided a better
service than multiple filters. Perhaps that is worth a try?

--
Hiram Hackenbacker
Old August 16th 04, 04:20 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
PlusNet Support

wrote:

I live at the periphery of an exchange area, have BT Business Broadband,
and have the line (and/or DNS) go with alarming regularity (4 times
yesterday for instance).

The recommendation I get from support is to disconnect all telephone
equipment (all have filters!) to see if the problem goes away. However,
this really isn't sustainable for a business!

Does anyone know of any test or test equipment that will show if the
line is running within "normal" electrical operating specs - or indeed
to know if the problem is in my house, between my house and the
exchange, or indeed further up than that?

Any advice or guidance gratefully received.

Ian W.

hi there,

To be fair to BT this is standard practice with all ADSL faults of
this nature.

A large percentage of faults raised are generally a wiring, filter or
hardware issue. By connecting to the master socket you are showing
that from the point of entry into your building it is not working and
cannot be at your end (unless its the hardware). It is a PITA, but it
is needed to rule out many possibilities.

kind regards

Luke
--
+ ----- My Referrals - It pays to recommend PlusNet -----+