Any *real* advantage to 512 kbit over 256 kbit?

Old August 16th 04, 09:29 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

Default Any *real* advantage to 512 kbit over 256 kbit?

David Marsh wrote:

I'm looking to sign up to broadband, but was wondering..

My main requirement really is availability and non-blocking of the phone
line. Speed is _to some extent_ secondary.

A broadband ADSL connection does not interfere with existing
(voice/modem/fax) use of the phone line in any way.

I'm therefore wondering whether there is any *real* advantage to a
512 kbit connection over a 256 kbit connection?

Most domestic providers give residential users 512 downstream and 256
upstream. Maybe that's part of your (apparent) confusion?

Obviously, the faster connection allows downloads twice as fast, but in
general I think can probably live with that?

On that reasoning you could argue that staying with a dialup modem
was sufficient...!

(My main download requirements are likely to be the occasional distro
ISO images, ie a large download every few months, which I can probably
leave overnight anyway)

I should hope so. My server's been on-line at home via an ADSL line for
[...checks...] almost six months so far.

I'm thinking of signing up to a Solo 250 account with Pipex, does
anybody have any comments on this?

The Solo 500 looks a pretty standard 512/256 package. Take a look at
www.adslguide.org.uk and check out some comparative reviews.

Chris
Old August 17th 04, 01:31 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

David Marsh wrote:
Yeah, but I don't really have the bandwidth/time-nonconstraints to do
forumz, that's why I prefer usenet :-)

I don't have time (or inclination) for web based forums either. That's
why /I/ do usenet also :-) However, take a look at the rest of the site -
it may well have the answers you're looking for.

Chris