OT - UK-based hosting query

Old August 16th 04, 02:36 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Trent SC

Default OT - UK-based hosting query

Apologies that this is slightly off-topic (if someone wants to redirect me,
they're very welcome).

I've been having ongoing problems with the web host/forwarder 123-reg.co.uk
and am considering dumping them and going elsewhere. Email sent to domains
hosted by 123-reg.co.uk are repeatedly going undelivered (without bounce
messages). Their email support is doing little to help, and I am loathe to
spend significant money on a Premium Rate support number. One wonders
whether the recent takeover by Pipex has resulted in lowered standards

So, I'm looking for a new host which will provide the following:

- Framed web forwarding (that is, the domain name stays in the address bar)
- Email forwarding, either by specific address or by domain
- Straightforward control panel
- Free transfers in of .co.uk, .org.uk, .com etc domains
- Automatic submission to search engines (123-reg.co.uk does 10 by default)
- Online status reports
- Well-regarded telephone support (that ISN'T Premium Rate)

Any thoughts out there? I went to 123-reg some years ago after
recommendations from colleagues, and until this month have been reasonably
happy with them, so if I do move (with my 38 domains) and recommend to my
dozen-or-so clients that they do the same, I'd rather it was to a
host/forwarder that comes recommended.

TIA

Old August 16th 04, 03:19 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
John

I use and would recommend Freeola http://freeola.com

Old August 16th 04, 09:45 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
poster

On 16 Aug 2004, in uk.telecom.broadband, "Trent SC" wrote:

this is slightly off-topic (if someone wants to redirect me

How about: uk.net.providers (or alt.internet.providers.uk )

Someone else was after framed web forwarding quite recently, so a
look with http://groups.google.com/ might find some pointers.

Old August 16th 04, 09:51 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
poster

On 16 Aug 2004 in uk.telecom.broadband, "Trent SC" wrote:

- Free transfers in of .co.uk, .org.uk, .com etc domains

AFAIK, most .com/info/org "transfers" will cost (for the addition
of a year's registration)... as low as about $7 so can be cheaper,
but I don't know if this would meet your 'UK-based' as the prices
are often quite a lot higher when a UK firm offers .com etc :-(
Old August 17th 04, 12:41 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
cw

You might want to try what I do.
Domains are still registered with 123-reg, but the nameservers are set to
ZoneEdit (http://www.zoneedit.co.uk)
Basic services are free for your first 5 domains and they provide extra
functionality at cost. Nice simple but powerful interface and the only
problem I had was a year or two ago when someone DoSed the servers for a
few days. Service went slow for a few hours till they found the best way to
handle it.

--
Colin
Old August 17th 04, 06:00 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Richard Hankins

I looked at Freeola for hosting - and found that they don't really offer
it. At least not what I call "hosting". They want to sell services as
an ISP (dialup or BB) - but don't allow you to merely host your website,
and use IP access to that host.

Richard

Old August 17th 04, 06:09 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Robin Grayson

On 17 Aug 2004 10:41:36 GMT, cw wrote:

You might want to try what I do.
Domains are still registered with 123-reg, but the nameservers are set to
ZoneEdit (http://www.zoneedit.co.uk)
Basic services are free for your first 5 domains and they provide extra
functionality at cost. Nice simple but powerful interface and the only
problem I had was a year or two ago when someone DoSed the servers for a
few days. Service went slow for a few hours till they found the best way to
handle it.

And I do the same thing with http://www.dnsmadeeasy.com I have found
their service and support to be excellent.

I have 4 domains with them all of which I host from my mailserver at
home but do use their MX backup service.

Old August 19th 04, 11:01 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Julian Knight

From Trent SC on 16/Aug/2004 13:36:

[...]

Well, I use freeparking.co.uk for my 3 domains and have never had any problems
at all. Admittedly, their phone number is an 0905 one which I guess is a high
rate number but the preferred support is via the web site and email. I've used
it for a couple of queries over the years and that's it.

They have simple wizard type control but you can amend the DNS settings yourself
if you want/need to, full forwarding for web and mail plus simple "local" mail
and web to get you started.

I would recommend that you do NOT use automatic search engine submission as this
is nearly ALWAYS counter productive. Most of the engines will pick up your home
page within a month, especially if you can get a link to it somewhere else
(hint: one of the well known blogging sites works well) and as long as you have
a reasonable site layout, the whole site will be indexed in about 3 months -
much faster if you have reasonable inbound links. The only engines you need to
submit to are things like DMOZ, but you need to be very careful about your
submissions to these directories if you don't want to be ignored.

--
Julian Knight, http://www.knightnet.org.uk/
Sheffield, United Kingdom
Old August 19th 04, 11:11 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Julian Knight

From Trent SC on 16/Aug/2004 13:36:

[...]

Following up from my previous post, I should have pointed out that Freeparking
only manage the domain. This is a cheap and easy way to retain more control over
the domain. I prefer that my hosts do not control them in case I have problems.

That said, I've been using ukwebsolutionsdirect (yes, one word!) --
http://www.ukwebsolutionsdirect.co.uk/ -- for some time for hosting and they are
truly excellent. They have a range of services starting at about 20 per year, I
use the next one up "Silver" at about 30 per year. You get a lot for your money
(200MB space, 8GB bandwidth, 40 pop mail + full smtp & spamassassin, 4 mysql
dbs, 4 mailing lists, 8 sub-domains, 4 ftp accounts, cron, etc. on the Silver
package). And they regularly seem to upgrade the service too.

Support is excellent both from the hosts and from the user community. It's
mainly through email and the forums for none-urgent stuff with an online IM tool
for urgent queries.