Wireless ethernet link to switch

Old August 16th 04, 11:02 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
al_Mossah

Default Wireless ethernet link to switch

Hi all,

Probably a silly question, and apologies if it's OT.

I've connected my 2 desktops to ADSL via an 8-port switch connected into a
Netgear DSL modem. I have an extra ethernet cable to connect my laptop to a
spare port in the switch. All works well. However, I want to make this
link to the laptop a wireless one. The rest of the network can stay wired.
Is there such a thing as a device which will plug into my switch and allow a
PC equipped with a wireless 802.11 adaptor to access the network from
anywhere? I've read a few spec. sheets, but can't make out if they will do
what I want.

The intention is to connect to the modem, so am not too bothered about
802.11g speeds.

Thanks in advance

Peter

Old August 17th 04, 12:54 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
martin

al_Mossah wrote:

Hi all,

Probably a silly question, and apologies if it's OT.

I've connected my 2 desktops to ADSL via an 8-port switch connected into a
Netgear DSL modem. I have an extra ethernet cable to connect my laptop to a
spare port in the switch. All works well. However, I want to make this
link to the laptop a wireless one. The rest of the network can stay wired.
Is there such a thing as a device which will plug into my switch and allow a
PC equipped with a wireless 802.11 adaptor to access the network from
anywhere? I've read a few spec. sheets, but can't make out if they will do
what I want.

The intention is to connect to the modem, so am not too bothered about
802.11g speeds.

look for an 802.11b or 802.11g wireless access point. The WAP plugs into
your switch and everything should work.

But don't forget to turn off SSID, change the SSID, change passwords,
change the default login and enable WPA *phew*

Thanks in advance

Peter

Old August 17th 04, 12:59 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Alexander Mann

al_Mossah wrote:

Hi all,

Probably a silly question, and apologies if it's OT.

I've connected my 2 desktops to ADSL via an 8-port switch connected into a
Netgear DSL modem. I have an extra ethernet cable to connect my laptop to a
spare port in the switch. All works well. However, I want to make this
link to the laptop a wireless one. The rest of the network can stay wired.
Is there such a thing as a device which will plug into my switch and allow a
PC equipped with a wireless 802.11 adaptor to access the network from
anywhere? I've read a few spec. sheets, but can't make out if they will do
what I want.

The intention is to connect to the modem, so am not too bothered about
802.11g speeds.

Thanks in advance

Peter

http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/produ...subcat_uid=476
or http://snipurl.com/8gw5

I think that's the sort of thing you need... It'd plug into your
hub/switch.

or http://snipurl.com/8gw6

"Create a wireless network out of an existing wired network, and
wirelessly extend the reach of the Internet throughout your home or office."

alex

--

(valid email address)