Binatone MD 750 Twin (Micro Dect)

Old August 16th 04, 11:17 PM posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.telecom.broadband
Andy Mabbett

Default Binatone MD 750 Twin (Micro Dect)

Is any one using a Binatone MD 750 Twin (Micro Dect) phone set, with
ADSL? I have just bought one (it has two cordless handsets, one in a
base unit which connects to the wall socket) and each time I connect
them, I immediately get connectivity problems - either everything slows
to a crawl, or stops completely, as soon as the phones are disconnected,
the service returns to normal.

My configuration us a wall socket, then a two- way splitter, Into this
is plugged an extension reel, then an ADSL widget, then the router. The
other half of the splitter at the wall socket takes the phone set.

--
Andy Mabbett

Say "NO!" to compulsory ID Cards: http://www.no2id.net/
Old August 16th 04, 11:36 PM posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.telecom.broadband
G&M

"Andy Mabbett" wrote in message

Is any one using a Binatone MD 750 Twin (Micro Dect) phone set, with
ADSL? I have just bought one (it has two cordless handsets, one in a
base unit which connects to the wall socket) and each time I connect
them, I immediately get connectivity problems - either everything slows
to a crawl, or stops completely, as soon as the phones are disconnected,
the service returns to normal.

My configuration us a wall socket, then a two- way splitter, Into this
is plugged an extension reel, then an ADSL widget, then the router. The
other half of the splitter at the wall socket takes the phone set.

You're supposed to have an ADSL filter (the widget maybe) on each phone set
(or on a line leading to all phones)

Old August 16th 04, 11:47 PM posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.telecom.broadband
Andy Mabbett

In message , G&M
writes
You're supposed to have an ADSL filter (the widget maybe) on each phone
set (or on a line leading to all phones)

Thanks.

Since the PC is ~20' from the wall socket, how can that be achieved? If
I put the filter (=widget) into the wall socket, the lead for the router
won't reach it.

Old August 17th 04, 12:10 AM posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.telecom.broadband
Pet

Andy Mabbett wrote:

You're supposed to have an ADSL filter (the widget maybe) on each phone
set (or on a line leading to all phones)

Since the PC is ~20' from the wall socket, how can that be achieved? If
I put the filter (=widget) into the wall socket, the lead for the router
won't reach it.

Then plug your Extension lead into the wall socket, your Widget into the
end of the extension lead, the Modem/router into one plug on the widget
and your phone into the other plug of the widget.

I don't see why you are needing to use a "splitter" in the first place.

--
http://gymratz.co.uk - UK's best bodybuilding supplements,gym equipment.
http://gymratz.co.uk/hot-seat.htm - Live web-cam!
Old August 17th 04, 12:28 AM posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.telecom.broadband
Dave Plowman (News)

In article ,
Andy Mabbett wrote:
You're supposed to have an ADSL filter (the widget maybe) on each phone
set (or on a line leading to all phones)

Thanks.

Since the PC is ~20' from the wall socket, how can that be achieved? If
I put the filter (=widget) into the wall socket, the lead for the router
won't reach it.

You'll need an extension for the US style plug (can never remember the RG
number) or use an ordinary extension to the router, site the filter there,
and extend to the phone again with an ordinary extension.

--
*If I throw a stick, will you leave?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Old August 17th 04, 11:38 AM posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.telecom.broadband
Mark Carver

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

You'll need an extension for the US style plug (can never remember the RG
number)

RJ-11.

Maplins do 'um, www.maplin.co.uk bung "RJ11" in the search box on their homepage

Old August 17th 04, 12:20 PM posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.telecom.broadband
Pete C

On Mon, 16 Aug 2004 22:47:54 +0100, Andy Mabbett
wrote:

In message , G&M
writes
You're supposed to have an ADSL filter (the widget maybe) on each phone
set (or on a line leading to all phones)

Thanks.

Since the PC is ~20' from the wall socket, how can that be achieved? If
I put the filter (=widget) into the wall socket, the lead for the router
won't reach it.

Hi,

The filter must be between the phone and the line, so it needs to go
on the phone side of the splitter at the wall.

To connect the router to the phone extension lead use a RJ11 to BT
adapter or another filter.

The router can be connected straight to the line via an adapter as the
filtering is only required for non ADSL equipment.

Both Ebuyer and Ebay are a good source of adapters and filters.

cheers,
Pete.
Old August 17th 04, 01:28 PM posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.telecom.broadband
lurch

On Mon, 16 Aug 2004 22:17:36 +0100, Andy Mabbett
strung together this:

My configuration us a wall socket, then a two- way splitter, Into this
is plugged an extension reel, then an ADSL widget, then the router. The
other half of the splitter at the wall socket takes the phone set.

That's wrong. I'll use the term ADSL filter instead of widget for my
bit!
In your main wall socket the first thing in should be the ADSL filter.
In the BT socket on this goes the phone plug on the DECT base station.
Into the ADSL side you need a lead to the computer. The lead to the
computer as is is obviously too short so you nead a modem extension
lead or replacement longer lead with RJ11 plugs at both ends.
--

SJW
A.C.S. Ltd
Old August 17th 04, 06:08 PM posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.telecom.broadband
Andy Mabbett

In message , Andy Mabbett
writes
ADSL

Thanks to everyone for their help - it's working OK, now, and I'll be
off to Maplin for a modem extension lead as soon as I can!

Oddly, my original setup worked OK, with my previous phone!

Old August 17th 04, 06:51 PM posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.telecom.broadband
Dave Plowman (News)

In article ,
Andy Mabbett wrote:
Thanks to everyone for their help - it's working OK, now, and I'll be
off to Maplin for a modem extension lead as soon as I can!

Oddly, my original setup worked OK, with my previous phone!

It would depend on the sort of load the phone puts on the line. You'd
think they'd all be the same, but they're not. If it presented a lowish
impedance to high frequencies it could take out the ADSL carrier.
Well, that's my theory. ;-)

--
*Virtual reality is its own reward*