Netgear DG834G constantly requires rebooting

Old August 17th 04, 10:24 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
b0yce

Default Netgear DG834G constantly requires rebooting

Hi all,

I searched for a Netgear NG but couldn't find one. Also checked their
website, but to no immediate avail! Last ditch is a support call, but
hopefully that will come later.

I have recently removed the "frog" alcatel USB modem and replaced with the
Netgear DG834G ADSL Wireless Router - hoorah! Now since this is powered
seperately, unlike USB, I thought just leave it powered on even though no
machine is connected, so that internet connection is "always" on. However,
everytime I boot up a computer to connect to the router - wireless or via
LAN - I need to power down the router and re-power it up to get a connection
to it. I am now using latest firmware v1.05.00, the kit came with v1.04.01,
am thinking of trying to go back to the original firmware version to see any
difference.

This is infuriating as hell, as I understand this should not be the case.
Has anyone else here had this issue and is it a faulty piece of kit? I could
be not so lazy and go and re-power it but come on....

For the record, also was having problems with connecting to it via wireless
to start off with, but after restoring factory settings the wireless
connection seemed to be connectible.

TIA b0yce

Old August 17th 04, 01:15 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Darran West

On Tue, 17 Aug 2004 08:24:39 +0000 (UTC), b0yce
wrote:

Hi all,

SNIP
I have recently removed the "frog" alcatel USB modem and replaced with
the
Netgear DG834G ADSL Wireless Router - hoorah! Now since this is powered
seperately, unlike USB, I thought just leave it powered on even though no
machine is connected, so that internet connection is "always" on.
However,
everytime I boot up a computer to connect to the router - wireless or via
LAN - I need to power down the router and re-power it up to get a
connection
to it. I am now using latest firmware v1.05.00, the kit came with
v1.04.01,
am thinking of trying to go back to the original firmware version to see
any
difference.

SNIP

I have the wires only version (DG834) running v1.04.01 and it has been
running non stop for 347 hours (I had to unplug it to untangle the mains
lead a couple of weeks ago). As fat as I know the two routers (wired only
and wireless) use the same firmware but the wireless part isn't installed
on on the DG834. To get v1.04.01 goto
http://kbserver.netgear.com/support_...asp?dnldID=675
I haven't used v1.05.00 so I can't comment on the reliability of that
firmware.

Darran West

Old August 17th 04, 03:17 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
b0yce

"Darran West" wrote in message
news[email protected]
snip
I have the wires only version (DG834) running v1.04.01 and it has been
running non stop for 347 hours (I had to unplug it to untangle the mains
lead a couple of weeks ago). As fat as I know the two routers (wired only
and wireless) use the same firmware but the wireless part isn't installed
on on the DG834. To get v1.04.01 goto
http://kbserver.netgear.com/support_...asp?dnldID=675
I haven't used v1.05.00 so I can't comment on the reliability of that
firmware.

Darran West

Cheers for the reply Darran, I have the old firmware version downloaded,
I'll give it a go when I get home, hopefully I will be able to get more than
4 hours worth of continuous connection, 347 sounds impressive :-)

Old August 17th 04, 05:57 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Simon Pleasants

wrote:

[...]

I have the DG834G as well and it has a current uptime of 750hrs. It
was approximately 750 hours ago that I upgraded the firmware to v1.05
so clearly this problem does not affect everyone. That said there
have been a small number of people reporting stability problems with
this unit, but none (that I have seen) have been using this firmware
version so I am afraid I cannot offer any suggestions - other than try
out older firmware and speak to Netgear (whose support reputation is
less than legendary).
Old August 17th 04, 06:00 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Colum Mylod

On Tue, 17 Aug 2004 12:15:42 +0100, "Darran West"
wrote:

[...]

I too am on 1.04 (with the G product) but needed to do a reset to
prevent regular hanging after an upgrade from the basic supplied
version - which in turn was working perfectly apart from not
reconnecting if the ADSL line went down. Save the config locally using
the web interface, click Reset on the same web page, then load the
saved config file. Uptime now in *months* and so far so good touch
wood.

Despite others' experiences these Netgear boxes do perform for most
people. The ones suffering problems probably have Monday morning
units.

--
New anti-spam address cmylod at despammed dot com
Old August 19th 04, 10:39 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
b0yce

SNIP

I too am on 1.04 (with the G product) but needed to do a reset to
prevent regular hanging after an upgrade from the basic supplied
version - which in turn was working perfectly apart from not
reconnecting if the ADSL line went down. Save the config locally using
the web interface, click Reset on the same web page, then load the
saved config file. Uptime now in *months* and so far so good touch
wood.

Despite others' experiences these Netgear boxes do perform for most
people. The ones suffering problems probably have Monday morning
units.

I tried resetting it and all was fine for the night, and I could even
connect this morning! Hoorah, but as it turned out, hope faded fast as for
some strange reason it dropped internet connection and also stopped the
wireless service (could tell this from the lights not being active). So my
next test will be to roll back firmware to v1.04.01 to see if this can help.

Is there a chance it could be a power supply problem? At the moment it is
powered by being plugged into a 4-way power adapter, it could be worth
trying it in it's own socket - though I would presume that this is not the
case being the great UK power supply. BUt anything's worth a go at present.

b0yce

Old August 19th 04, 11:38 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter R Cook

In message , b0yce
writes
SNIP

[...]

Might be worth a try.
My 843G is very reliable - except when we get power glitches. Sometimes
(not always) it needs a manual reboot to get it back into ADSL
connection after a power spike.

At the height of last weeks electrical storms I had to reboot three or
four times after it failed to recover from powerline spikes. I'm pretty
sure it was powerline issues (rather than phone line spikes) as the
desktop PC also dropped out on two of the four occasions, and the lights
flickered on one of the others.

Regards
--
Peter R Cook
Old August 19th 04, 01:36 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Tiny Tim

"b0yce" wrote in message
SNIP
I tried resetting it and all was fine for the night, and I could even
connect this morning! Hoorah, but as it turned out, hope faded fast as for
some strange reason it dropped internet connection and also stopped the
wireless service (could tell this from the lights not being active). So my
next test will be to roll back firmware to v1.04.01 to see if this can

help.

Is there a chance it could be a power supply problem? At the moment it is
powered by being plugged into a 4-way power adapter, it could be worth
trying it in it's own socket - though I would presume that this is not the
case being the great UK power supply. BUt anything's worth a go at

present.

My DG834G is pretty reliable but does glitch occasionally. I've run all
firmware releases from 1.03 to 1.05 including the 1.04.04 beta release
available here - http://www.farina1.com/dg834/

1.05.00 works well for me, as did 1.04.04. 1.04.01 was not as good as these
later two. Personally I'd recommend 1.05.00 at the moment.

My router shares a 2-way outlet with an 8-way extension supplying a 32" TV,
Sky, Xbox, DVD, 7.1 DD Amp, VCR, MD and a video sender. I am not aware of
any power related problems.

What I have noticed is that any time I do upgrade the firmware there seems
to be a period of a few days (maybe a week) where the router is less stable
and needs a reboot every day or two. This seems to settle down after a bit
and I now need to reboot only every 2-3 weeks (and even then it may not be
the router that is to blame but something else that gets fixed when the
router is rebooted).

I run three wireless laptops in mixed b/g mode and the Xbox is wired into
the router. It is completely unfazed by multiple P2P sessions running at the
same time to multiple P2P networks.

I would definitely suggest dumping 1.04.01 for 1.04.04 or 1.05.00

Regards,
Tim.

Old August 20th 04, 12:08 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Clive Page

In message , b0yce
writes
to it. I am now using latest firmware v1.05.00, the kit came with v1.04.01,
am thinking of trying to go back to the original firmware version to see any
difference.

For what it's worth, mine came with 1.04.01 I think, and I needed to
reboot every hour or two; tried various later 1.04.* versions, none
better. Then got hold of 1.05.00 and it is the first one that makes the
device stable. But it may depend on some quite extraneous factor, like
which ISP you use, or which operating systems, I suppose. I'd suggest
trying one of the older versions, you can always switch back.

--
Clive Page
Old August 20th 04, 09:10 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Simon Pleasants

On Thu, 19 Aug 2004 12:36:37 +0100, "Tiny Tim"
wrote:

What I have noticed is that any time I do upgrade the firmware there seems
to be a period of a few days (maybe a week) where the router is less stable
and needs a reboot every day or two.

I have noticed it has a tendency to crash about 24hrs after a firmware
upgrade, including after the upgrade to v1.05 - odd really.

This seems to settle down after a bit
and I now need to reboot only every 2-3 weeks

I had to reboot almost exactly 24hrs after the upgrade to v1.05 but
the router has been up ever since. On checking last night the uptime
is now something upwards of 850hours.

Obviously there was some interuption of the internet connection as it
has only been up for 600hrs. The wireless, similarly, has had an
interuption as it has only been up for 200hrs. Whenever either
interuption came it must have been brief because the machines are
working much of the time and I never noticed either.

Bottom line is - if it needs constant rebooting something ain't right!