BB ISP for (1) one fixed IP and (2) two fixed IPs

Old August 17th 04, 12:17 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
martin

Default BB ISP for (1) one fixed IP and (2) two fixed IPs

Peter wrote:
I am after the above. I have contacted the main players and they seem
to offer this only on "business" accounts that range from 50/month
upwards. It is for very light usage, but there is no way around the
need for the fixed IPs, they are for a specific purpose.

It's unlikely you'll get two fixed IPs. Even if you got a block of 4
three would instantly 'disappear' leaving you with one usable.

Try Zen, they will give you a block of 8, leaving 5 usable, this is on
both home and business packages.

Unless my clients have very strong preferences, I always try to point
them towards Zen, you get very good service from them

Peter.
E-mail replies to but remove the X and the Y.

Old August 17th 04, 02:27 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
martin

Peter wrote:

Martin wrote:

It's unlikely you'll get two fixed IPs. Even if you got a block of 4
three would instantly 'disappear' leaving you with one usable.

Try Zen, they will give you a block of 8, leaving 5 usable, this is on
both home and business packages.

Unless my clients have very strong preferences, I always try to point
them towards Zen, you get very good service from them

Why do some IPs disappear?

This is for an application where no www or ftp hosting will be
required, and I find that the ISPs that offer fixed IPs tend to do
them as "business" packages with loads of webspace, free domains and
such.

yes, but check out Zen, they will do a block of 8 IPs on home and
business packages.

3 IPs 'disappear' well not really disappear, but are not usable for
devices. They'll be Network, Broadcast and Gateway. If you have a
network of say 192.168.3.0/24 then 192.168.3.0 is Network, 3.255
Broadcast and you'll have a Gateway as well 3.x where x isn't 0 or 255.
Hence 3 IPs disappear from your usable block.

If it's commercial, email me and we can discuss rates I don't munge
my address

Old August 17th 04, 11:24 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Ian Stirling

will kemp wrote:
On Tue, 17 Aug 2004 12:27:17 +0000, Martin wrote:

3 IPs 'disappear' well not really disappear, but are not usable for
devices. They'll be Network, Broadcast and Gateway. If you have a
network of say 192.168.3.0/24 then 192.168.3.0 is Network, 3.255
Broadcast and you'll have a Gateway as well 3.x where x isn't 0 or 255.
Hence 3 IPs disappear from your usable block.

there's no real reason why you have to have a special "gateway" address
that doesn't do anything else. if you're using a usb modem, the gateway
can be one of the two servers (or both of them, of course). if you're

Is there any reason that I couldn't simply setup my router so that
it thinks I have a /24 (though I only have a /30) (other than not being
able to access the other 248 or so addresses) so I can use all 4?

(the other addresses would of course be firewalled off, to stop
any confused machines trying to touch anything they shouldn't)
Old August 17th 04, 11:26 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
will kemp

On Tue, 17 Aug 2004 12:27:17 +0000, Martin wrote:

3 IPs 'disappear' well not really disappear, but are not usable for
devices. They'll be Network, Broadcast and Gateway. If you have a
network of say 192.168.3.0/24 then 192.168.3.0 is Network, 3.255
Broadcast and you'll have a Gateway as well 3.x where x isn't 0 or 255.
Hence 3 IPs disappear from your usable block.

there's no real reason why you have to have a special "gateway" address
that doesn't do anything else. if you're using a usb modem, the gateway
can be one of the two servers (or both of them, of course). if you're
using a router and the router does NAT, then you can forward all incoming
connections on the gateway ip address to one of the servers and route the
other ip address to the other server. if you're using a router that
doesn't do NAT, then throw it away! ;-)

by the way, a "/24" ip address block has 254 usable adresses! a "/30"
block has 2. (a "/29" has 6 and a theoretical "/31" would have 0!) ;-)

will

Old August 18th 04, 12:32 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
David Wade

"Ian Stirling" wrote in message
will kemp wrote:
[...]

You would not be able to exchange data with owners of the other 248
addresses.

Old August 21st 04, 03:04 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Ian Stirling

will kemp wrote:
[...]

True.
I'd be limited to the small portion of the internet that remains.

Old August 22nd 04, 07:55 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
will kemp

On Tue, 17 Aug 2004 21:24:03 +0000, Ian Stirling wrote:

Is there any reason that I couldn't simply setup my router so that
it thinks I have a /24 (though I only have a /30) (other than not being
able to access the other 248 or so addresses) so I can use all 4?

apart from the fact that it just simply "doesn't make sense" to do that,
i'd say you'd find that it wouldn't work. it would work fine from within
your local network, but i doubt routing from/to the internet would work
properly. your isp's routers would almost certainly not deal with packets
addressed to, or originating from, either the network address or the
broadcast address in the way you'd want them to.

never having tried it, i couldn't say for sure what exactly would be the
result, but i'd guess that, at best, it would be unreliable and, at worst,
it wouldn't work at all. (although maybe not working at all is better than
being unreliable! ;-)

if you decide to try it, please let us know what happens.

will