Plusnet/Pipex Question

Old August 17th 04, 11:06 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Ian Stirling

Default Plusnet/Pipex Question

Broadband Campaigner wrote:
Any comment or preferences on either Plusnet or Pipex.

Don't know whether to go for the 512 or 1Mb service, but it will definatly
be the uncapped.

I am looking at having a web server at home, do either of the above have one
of those 'you only connect when you click' type services?

What do you mean by that?
Normally you'd just run your webserver, and anyone would connect as they want.
You don't bring up the connection specially for them, it's always on.

Old August 18th 04, 01:00 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Colin Wilson

I am looking at having a web server at home, do either of the above have one
of those 'you only connect when you click' type services?

I think by that you might be referring to a USB modem - which will often
require a user to use a "dial up" button to initiate the connection.

If you have an external modem/router the line will be connected almost*
permanently (*usually barring work in the exchange) so you don`t have to
click to connect, and your IP will remain fairly static (Pipex is
dynamic, but I don`t think i`ve lost connection for a month, so it hasn`t
changed despite several reboots of the computer etc.)

Old August 18th 04, 09:12 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Jacko

I'm with Plusnet 1mb uncapped and it's an excellent service (though some
appear to disagree saying poor support - never had any problems and quiries
sorted quickly if you follow procedures) -I would have no hesitation in
recommending them

--
if you decide to sign up mention my id jacksonp

Regards
Jacko

Old August 18th 04, 09:12 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
AJ

Colin Wilson wrote:

I am looking at having a web server at home, do either of the above have one
of those 'you only connect when you click' type services?

I think by that you might be referring to a USB modem - which will often
require a user to use a "dial up" button to initiate the connection.

If you have an external modem/router the line will be connected almost*
permanently (*usually barring work in the exchange) so you don`t have to
click to connect, and your IP will remain fairly static (Pipex is
dynamic, but I don`t think i`ve lost connection for a month, so it hasn`t
changed despite several reboots of the computer etc.)

I think Pipex have a static IP option now.
Old August 18th 04, 05:10 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
poster

On 17 Aug 2004 in uk.telecom.broadband, "Broadband Campaigner" wrote:

I am looking at having a web server at home, do either of the above
have one of those 'you only connect when you click' type services?

Get a router and use PlusNet on a fixed IP. The router would keep the
connection up for you, no "only connect when you click" with that in
the picture... so your home web server will stay available...

Or use the 250 MB web space option (some can be on the CGI cluster)
and they support Perl, MySQL, PHP so you have the opportunity to
experiment and be able to not let the world into your home web
server if you prefer.

Depends on account that is opened by new customer, but good value ISP IMO.
Old August 18th 04, 08:37 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Dan

I've had Pipex for over 2 years now. Started on solo500 now on solo1000 and
my ip address hasn't changed once.

Dan

Old August 19th 04, 11:17 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Julian Knight

From Broadband Campaigner on 17/Aug/2004 22:41:

Any comment or preferences on either Plusnet or Pipex.

Don't know whether to go for the 512 or 1Mb service, but it will definatly
be the uncapped.

I am looking at having a web server at home, do either of the above have one
of those 'you only connect when you click' type services?

TIA

I'm on Plusnet at they seem to be excellent.

I was going to run my own web server at home but the limited bandwidth (256Mb),
dubious reliablility of ADSL links and the fact that it would mean always
leaving a computer on means that I've opted for a cheap (30 per year) hosting
option. This is much more reliable and secure, faster too.

Of course, you can do most things with the Plusnet web space though I recommend
that you get (indipendent of PlusNet) your own domain name (around 7 per year),
especially if you want to use PHP or Perl scripts as these are served from the
CGI server which doesn't look as good in the domain name.

--
Julian Knight, http://www.knightnet.org.uk/
Sheffield, United Kingdom