No connection properties for router connection to the Internet...

Old August 18th 04, 02:55 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Frankie Ooi

Default No connection properties for router connection to the Internet...

Recently, I subscribe to a local broadband/Ethernet based ISP.
I bought D-Link DSL-500G, an ADSL Router, and an NIC to set up my Internet
connection in my PC using Microsoft Windows 98 SE.

I successfully connect to the Internet now... but the Connection properties
in System bar (used to be there when I was using Dial-up connection to
Internet) don't show up... so I don't know about my connection speed...

The other thing is I have to switch off the router (or plug out the
telephone line) in order to be disconnected from Internet, is there any
other way (such as clicking the Connection properties disconnect button) to
facilitate the Disconnection process ?

I appreciate your help...

Regards,
Frankie Ooi

Old August 18th 04, 08:39 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Kráftéé

Frankie Ooi wrote:
Recently, I subscribe to a local broadband/Ethernet based ISP.
I bought D-Link DSL-500G, an ADSL Router, and an NIC to set up my
Internet connection in my PC using Microsoft Windows 98 SE.

I successfully connect to the Internet now... but the Connection
properties in System bar (used to be there when I was using Dial-up
connection to Internet) don't show up... so I don't know about my
connection speed...

To find your ballpark figure you'll have to use an online 'speed test' as
your computer will only show the connection speeds of the network (if
anything at all)

The other thing is I have to switch off the router (or plug out the
telephone line) in order to be disconnected from Internet, is there
any other way (such as clicking the Connection properties
disconnect button) to facilitate the Disconnection process ?

Unless you use a third party piece of software then you just about have got
it. Most firewalls have a facility to stop all traffice if you want to
(what do you mean you haven't got a firewall).

Suggest you stop thinking of your new connection as a dial up & start
looking at it as permanent, always onconnection. It will cost the same no
matter how much it's connected (as long as you don't fall foul of any
capping which may be in place)...

Old August 18th 04, 09:51 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Frankie Ooi

yes, broadband is not same as dial-up, from now on I'll stick to it...
but my broadband account is for light user, it is based on online time I use
(there are other package for heavy user which charge fixed price regardless
the time used)
Thanks a lot... Kraftee