PLusnet Modem Query

Old August 18th 04, 11:00 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
pgiblin

Default PLusnet Modem Query

I am about to sign up with Plus Net for the 512K home service. Does anyone
know if there are there any offers on at present regarding the 'activation
fee'. I am not currently connected to Broadband.

Secondly, should I go with the BT Voyager modem supplied by Plusnet or are
there better cheaper options. Initially I will only be connecting up one
PC.

Any advice gratefully received.

PG

Old August 18th 04, 11:40 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter Crosland

Secondly, should I go with the BT Voyager modem supplied by Plusnet
or are there better cheaper options. Initially I will only be
connecting up one PC.

Spend a little extra and buy a combined modem/router which will give you
future expandability and will function much better than the BT c**p USB
modem.

Old August 18th 04, 12:37 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
pgiblin

Thanks Peter,
Which Router would you recommend, i.e the one that Plus Net Provide? or
buying a specific model elsewhere.

I would want it to be hassle free when setting up.

Old August 18th 04, 12:43 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
pgiblin

Sorry, I should have mentioned...
The router that Plus provide is a Solwise sar 130 4 port at 79.99

Old August 18th 04, 02:14 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter Crosland

I would want it to be hassle free when setting up.

I forgot to say that you should get yourself a router with a firewall. Spend
another tenner and you can get the Draytek 2500 that has a firewall and is
easy to set up.

Old August 18th 04, 05:16 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
poster

On 18 Aug 2004, in uk.telecom.broadband, "john" wrote:

It all depends what you want, price or security ? If security is a concern
then get yourself a router that has a built in firewall.

OTOH, having a firewall on the PC(s) is recommended, and there are lots of
people happily using the lowest cost 1-port or 4-port routers from Dabs or
Ebuyer (I believe both have stopped bothering with the 1-port units - they
were a fiver to a tenner cheaper)... I have one of each, and the 4-port
models too... very happy with them, and I feel sure all cost below 50
quid now, even including the delivery and VAT ! Peter M.

Depends on account that is opened by new customer, but good value ISP IMO.
Old August 18th 04, 06:00 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
pgiblin

Many thanks Guys, I do have zone alarm on the PC, but I suppose it does no
harm to have extra protection?

Old August 18th 04, 06:37 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
poster

On 18 Aug 2004 in uk.telecom.broadband, "pgiblin" wrote:

but I suppose it does no harm to have extra protection?

Depends whether you think paying double is worth it, if the degree
of protection goes from 98% to 98.5% (just guessing :-) Peter M.

Depends on account that is opened by new customer, but good value ISP IMO.