D-Link DSL-300G+ ADSL modem & a LinkSys WRT54G - do they actually work?

Old August 18th 04, 10:21 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
John

Default D-Link DSL-300G+ ADSL modem & a LinkSys WRT54G - do they actually work?

"Peter" wrote in message
A friend is trying to set up the above, on a new BB connection,
PlusNet.

It all works fine with just the modem, no router.

But if the router is connected, there are intermittent comms failures.
Initially it worked for a whole day, but no more.

A google search finds various problem postings with this combination,
e.g.

I've been trying to get a D-Link DSL-300G+ ADSL modem & a LinkSys WRT54G
wireless router/switch to work together, with little success. My problem

is
that intermittently I get failed downloads and browser lockups (when I

say
intermittently, I mean every 2/3 attempt). If I by pass the Linksys

router
and go to the internet directly with the D-Link ADSL modem, everythings
fine - once I plug in the Linksys box, I get the problem. I'm on the

latest
version of firmware for both devices. D-link support tell me they do not
know of any problems with their device co-existing with the Linksys

device.
Linksys tell me that they are aware of this problem, but are not sure if

its
their device or Dlinks ! So, I'm stuck in the middle. My service provider
(BT) recommend an MTU of 1452 - I've tried this (and at least 30 other

MTU
settings with variable results, but not one of them resolves the problem.

Can anyone suggest anything?

Presumably, in the short term, the PC is relatively safe without a NAT
router if running XP with the firewall enabled?

Peter.
E-mail replies to but remove the X and the Y.

Not sure if this is your problem but the DSL-300G+ only likes talking to the
MAC address it was configured by.
If the Linksys has the option to 'clone the pc's MAC address' give it a try.
Otherwise try reconfiguring the modem through the router.

Old August 18th 04, 10:44 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
John

"Peter" wrote in message
news

"John" jrl @ bushinternet dot com wrote:

Not sure if this is your problem but the DSL-300G+ only likes talking to

the
MAC address it was configured by.
If the Linksys has the option to 'clone the pc's MAC address' give it a

try.
Otherwise try reconfiguring the modem through the router.

I don't think one can set the mac address of the router.

Peter.
E-mail replies to but remove the X and the Y.

I am not familiar with Linksys kit, it is possible on other routers I have
used, see her for the D-Link DI-624
http://support.dlink.com/techtool/di...tor/h_wan.html

Old August 18th 04, 04:40 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
John

SNIP

The only users who would be able to get the D-Link modem working would be

those without a
router.

How do you come to that conclusion ?
Yes, lots of people DO have problems with the modem until they are made
aware of the MAC issue.
If you were to change PC's or LAN cards you will find that your direct
connection will stop working too !

Old August 18th 04, 04:52 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
John

"John" jrl @ bushinternet dot com wrote in message
news:[email protected]

SNIP

The only users who would be able to get the D-Link modem working would

be
those without a
router.

How do you come to that conclusion ?
Yes, lots of people DO have problems with the modem until they are made
aware of the MAC issue.
If you were to change PC's or LAN cards you will find that your direct
connection will stop working too !

Here is the official word from D-Link's Aussie website.
http://www.dlink.com.au/tech/drivers...sl300_FAQ2.htm