What is the very best quality BB modem/router?

Old August 18th 04, 11:36 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter Crosland

Default What is the very best quality BB modem/router?

Cost isn't an issue, given the lack of tech support on just about
everything, and the time wasted.

Darytek kit is very good but like most others the tech support is not as
good. Well please with my 2600 that works round the cloak and has never
failed.

Old August 18th 04, 11:40 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Hiram Hackenbacker

On Wed, 18 Aug 2004 10:36:00 +0100, "Peter Crosland"
wrote:

Cost isn't an issue, given the lack of tech support on just about
everything, and the time wasted.

Darytek kit is very good but like most others the tech support is not as
good. Well please with my 2600 that works round the cloak and has never
failed.

Seconded - there are plenty of users here or the Draytek support forum
to assist with problems.

--
Hiram Hackenbacker
Old August 18th 04, 11:53 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter Crosland

I must write out 100 times Draytek!

Old August 18th 04, 12:46 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter Crosland

The Draytek range at www.draytek.co.uk has various models and most of them
use a normal NIC connection to the PC. AFAIK the USB port on the 2900 is
only used for the print server.

Old August 18th 04, 04:53 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Paul Landregan

"Peter" wrote in message

"Peter Crosland" wrote:

The Draytek range at www.draytek.co.uk has various models and most of them
use a normal NIC connection to the PC. AFAIK the USB port on the 2900 is
only used for the print server.

I've ordered the 2600gi; it looks very good. In fact it looks "too
good" - looking at the astonishing feature set, if the megabytes of
software which must be inside the box contain less than hundreds of
bugs, I will be amazed!

In fact I wonder why people pay 1000 for firewalls from people like
Cisco. I suppose with Cisco you can do very detailed config, using
timed access lists and such...

You can do this too with the Draytek.

I have a 2600W ISDN/ADSL and am very very happy. Even BT Broadband voice
works through it.

Old August 18th 04, 05:58 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter Crosland

I've ordered the 2600gi; it looks very good. In fact it looks "too
good" - looking at the astonishing feature set, if the megabytes of
software which must be inside the box contain less than hundreds of
bugs, I will be amazed!

I am sure you will be impressed. The basic configuration is straightforward
and it is still very customisable if you need to. The only thing that
surpised me was that the firewall was not enabled by default but it took
only a minute or two set up.

In fact I wonder why people pay 1000 for firewalls from people like
Cisco. I suppose with Cisco you can do very detailed config, using
timed access lists and such...

The name perhaps?

Old August 18th 04, 08:04 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter Crosland

In your opinion, what equipment would I need to run an in-house
www/email/ftp/dns server?

Way outside my experience I am afraid but I am sure some on here will know.

Old August 18th 04, 08:29 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Paul Landregan

"Peter" wrote in message

"Peter Crosland" wrote:

In fact I wonder why people pay 1000 for firewalls from people like
Cisco. I suppose with Cisco you can do very detailed config, using
timed access lists and such...

The name perhaps?

In your opinion, what equipment would I need to run an in-house
www/email/ftp/dns server?

This is not a high profile corporate site which somebody is going to
have a go at, but some prankster just might, looking for customer
emails containing credit card numbers or whatever. So it has to be
very secure. The initial proposal was a Pix firewall, then the server,
then another Pix firewall and the office LAN behind that. So the
server sits in an DMZ. This appears to be a standard setup.

In fact there is no need for the office LAN to have any connection to
the server (thus eliminating the 2nd Pix). Any server admin can be
done as it would be done remotely: over the internet, telnet over SSL.
The only reason we would like there to be a piece of wire is because
we want to route all outgoing emails via the email server, where their
To: headers can be scanned for whitelist compilation purposes.

The present limit of my expertise is setting up an 803 ISDN router
with an access list which stops Blaster attacks keeping the line up
For the above, I was going to get somebody in; not to get it working
but to make sure it is really done right.

The office LAN will get its internet access via something like a
Draytek 2600 - NAT itself should be secure enough for simple www
browsing??

Peter.
E-mail replies to but remove the X and the Y.

Heres our configuration, simply

ADSL line to a Draytek 2600X. The Ethernet side of this connects to the
www,exchange server1, (In the DMZ, we also have an ISA/SurfControl server
here too). Then we have a Cyberguard FS250 firewall. Behind the internal
firewall is the corporate network and an internal exchange server. Any email
for the outside world is relayed through the server in the DMZ. Likewise
incoming too.

Old August 18th 04, 09:59 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Jeff Gaines

Peter wrote:

"Peter Crosland" wrote

Darytek kit is very good but like most others the tech support is not as
good.

Hmmm, I've noticed that they reply anonymously to support emails. I've
never understood why some companies' support staff refuse to give
their names - especially as the uk disti is obviously a small outfit.

But support from mfgs is taken to be poor these days.

Peter.
E-mail replies to but remove the X and the Y.

You should try BT Yahoo support - they use spoof email addresses so all
replies to them bounce!

--
Jeff Gaines - Damerham Hampshire UK