BT confirm new 512K and 1MB ADSL line limits

Old August 18th 04, 10:45 AM posted to uk.net.providers,uk.telecom.broadband
Sunil Sood

Default BT confirm new 512K and 1MB ADSL line limits

From September 6, 2004, the reach limit for the 512kb/sec ADSL services will
be removed.

BT is also increasing the range for 1Mb/sec premium services from 4km to
approximately 6km - making 1Mb/sec ADSL available to 96 per cent of homes
and businesses connected to a broadband exchange.

The trial data indicates that removing the limit means 99.8 per cent of
lines connected to a broadband exchange should now be able to get a
512kb/sec ADSL service. To date approximately 96 per cent of homes and
businesses connected to broadband enabled exchanges were within range for
512kb/sec ADSL.

Alison Ritchie, BT chief broadband officer, said: "By pushing the boundaries
on broadband reach we are building on our exchange upgrade rollout programme
which means the remaining gaps in the broadband Britain jigsaw are getting
smaller and smaller.

"Today's announcement, together with our exchange upgrade programme means
that by next summer we expect the availability of ADSL broadband in the UK
to be at 99.4 per cent - on a par with the percentage of homes that can get
good quality analogue TV signals for the four main terrestrial channels*.

"The trial data and feedback from the trialists in Milton Keynes and others
involved in the trials in Fort William and Dingwall has contributed to
bringing broadband within reach of another million homes. Their commitment
to work with us has helped bring us all a significant step closer to a truly
broadband Britain.

"If you thought you couldn't get broadband - think again. When the new
developments come into force in September, place an order with your service
provider and in most cases BT will be able to get broadband to you."

The trials revealed that to provide broadband service to approximately one
in five people beyond the former limit will require a visit by a BT engineer
to make modifications to wiring at the customer premises or to local BT
network cabling. BT would not charge the customer for this engineer visit.
For a small number of cases it may not be possible to provide reliable
broadband service at 512kb/sec, even following a visit by a BT engineer.
However, BT will continue to seek a solution as the technologies develop.
The trial data indicates that where the exchange is upgraded for broadband,
an average of 99.8 per cent of lines should be able to get 512kb/sec ADSL
broadband service.

BT's exchange upgrade programme to take broadband coverage to exchanges
serving 99.6 per cent of households by summer 2005 makes the UK number one
for ADSL availability in the G7 group of leading industrial countries both
at the end of this year and 2005. This position was outlined in the
Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development (OECD) report "The
development of broadband access in rural and remote areas" which is
available at www.oecd.org/sti/telecom.

From
http://www.btplc.com/News/Pressrelea...004/nr0475.htm

Regards
Sunil

Old August 18th 04, 11:30 AM posted to uk.net.providers,uk.telecom.broadband
robert w hall

In article , Sunil Sood
writes
"Peter Crosland" wrote in message

Have they confirmed the actual line loss values yet? My Draytek
router says the line loss is 54.5 dB and the SNR 12.5 so I am hoping
I shall be able to get a 1MB connection. Any comments please?

Speed Old limit New limit

512K 60dB None (as long as it works!)
1MB 41dB 60dB
2MB 41dB 41dB (unchanged)

Regards
Sunil

Does the faceplate change have any stabilising effect at 60db/1Mbps?
(Sam Crawford's original post of 3rd August strongly suggests it does,
though I suspect the stats are a bit small)
EG do I advise a small business user on a 58db line presently with
512kps, to stay put, upgrade to 1Mbps straightway, or only after a
faceplate change.
Bob
--
robert w hall
Old August 18th 04, 11:50 AM posted to uk.net.providers,uk.telecom.broadband
Peter Crosland

Old August 18th 04, 11:53 AM posted to uk.net.providers,uk.telecom.broadband
Phil Chung

"Peter Crosland" wrote in
:

Have they confirmed the actual line loss values yet? My Draytek router
says the line loss is 54.5 dB and the SNR 12.5 so I am hoping I shall
be able to get a 1MB connection. Any comments please?

ADSLGuide says 60dB for 1Mbps.

--
My photos: http://www.weezer.plus.com/
To send me an e-mail, remove TEETH

Old August 18th 04, 11:55 AM posted to uk.net.providers,uk.telecom.broadband
Ronny

"Sunil Sood" wrote in message
From September 6, 2004, the reach limit for the 512kb/sec ADSL services
will
be removed.

Thats very good news

Not for me as im 3mb BY, but i know what its like to be withour BB

Old August 18th 04, 12:48 PM posted to uk.net.providers,uk.telecom.broadband
Sunil Sood

"robert w hall" wrote in message

Does the faceplate change have any stabilising effect at 60db/1Mbps?

I think the biggest impact would probably be improving the SNR figure (as
well as cutting out the extenstion wiring)

EG do I advise a small business user on a 58db line presently with
512kps, to stay put, upgrade to 1Mbps straightway, or only after a
faceplate change.

Well, from next month(!) - assuming the 58dB figure is accurate.. I would
advise upgrading straightaway and only installing a faceplate if there is an
issue with the connection... (or they then decide they want it as its
"neater")

Regards
Sunil

Old August 18th 04, 01:48 PM posted to uk.net.providers,uk.telecom.broadband
Beck

"Sunil Sood" wrote in message
From September 6, 2004, the reach limit for the 512kb/sec ADSL services will
be removed.

BT is also increasing the range for 1Mb/sec premium services from 4km to
approximately 6km - making 1Mb/sec ADSL available to 96 per cent of homes
and businesses connected to a broadband exchange.

Its the most fantastic news all year. Been a long time coming, and I did not
realise they would remove a limit completely, I thought it was ust a stage
further. I am so pleased. Providing nothing else is wrong with my line, I can
get adsl.

Old August 18th 04, 02:18 PM posted to uk.net.providers,uk.telecom.broadband
Stuart Turrell

so does this mean that from now on, if you havent been able to get
braodband, they will activate it for you, no matter how far away from
exchange you are?

I will be moving out into the country where ADSL is not available. (quite
far away from an exchange).

So they will enable 512kb connection? Thats all i want!

"Beck" wrote in message

From September 6, 2004, the reach limit for the 512kb/sec ADSL services

Old August 18th 04, 02:38 PM posted to uk.net.providers,uk.telecom.broadband

In uk.net.providers Stuart Turrell wrote:
so does this mean that from now on, if you havent been able to get
braodband, they will activate it for you, no matter how far away from
exchange you are?

I will be moving out into the country where ADSL is not available. (quite
far away from an exchange).

So they will enable 512kb connection? Thats all i want!

The issue may well be whether the exchange is ADSL enabled rather than
being too far from it. We have been near enough to our exchange
for ADSL for years but still can't get ADSL because the exchange isn't
enabled. May 2005 predicted at present.

--
Chris Green