D-Link DSL-300G+ ADSL modem & a LinkSys WRT54G - do they actually work?

Old August 18th 04, 01:32 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Paul King

Default D-Link DSL-300G+ ADSL modem & a LinkSys WRT54G - do they actually work?

"Peter" wrote in message
A friend is trying to set up the above, on a new BB connection,
PlusNet.

It all works fine with just the modem, no router.

But if the router is connected, there are intermittent comms failures.
Initially it worked for a whole day, but no more.

A google search finds various problem postings with this combination,
e.g.

snip search info

I've got a Dlink DSL-300G+ connected to a Dlink DI-624 router and did have
lots of disconnect probs, but I've solved it! Try this....

Connect the DSL-300G+ directly to the PC and configure it as "bridge" and
use PPPoE instead of PPPoA protocol (I know ADSL should be PPPoA, but some
BT exchanges are converting to PPPoE - it might work for you, it did for me
:-) ). Once that's all working disconnect the modem from the PC and plug it
into the router WAN port, then plug the router into the PC.

Note, however, that in bridge mode you will now not be able to access the
modem on its default (unchangeable) 192.168.0.1 IP address! If you need to
change any modem settings you will need to plug the modem directly into the
PC to "see" it.

In this (bridge) mode mine's been rock solid for over nine months now!
HTH

Old August 18th 04, 07:57 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Piers James

this is unnecessaryas if you configure the modem through the router then
modem knows it should be connected to the router, because it stores the
router's MAC address in the configuration settings.

You need to plug PC into router, log on to router, change the IP address of
the router, and other settings as necessary, then plug modem into router,
log on to modem and set that up.

"Paul King" wrote in message
. ..

Old August 19th 04, 08:17 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Piers James

worked OK for me, and once I got the encapsulation setting correct, (the
other one from what virgin told me) everything has been great since.

"Peter" wrote in message

"Piers James" -nospam wrote

this is unnecessaryas if you configure the modem through the router then
modem knows it should be connected to the router, because it stores the
router's MAC address in the configuration settings.

You need to plug PC into router, log on to router, change the IP address

of
the router, and other settings as necessary, then plug modem into router,
log on to modem and set that up.

Twice as many things to go wrong Just getting into the router
config can be a job. I spent hours trying to do it once.

In fact I think there is a bug, in that if one selects a fixed IP
(disable DHCP etc) then the router stops working completely - as if
they have never tested it in that mode.

Peter.
E-mail replies to but remove the X and the Y.