BT Yahoo for games consoles

Old August 18th 04, 07:55 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Beck

Default BT Yahoo for games consoles

If I order BTYahoo for games console package, I will get a router for 20. Has
anyone had that offer? Can you tell me what router it is and whether it is
worth the 20?
Ideally I need a wireless router, but money is very tight at the moment.

Old August 18th 04, 08:43 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter M

On 18 Aug 2004 in uk.telecom.broadband, "Beck" wrote:

If I order BTYahoo for games console package, I will get a router
for 20. Has anyone had that offer? Can you tell me what router
it is and whether it is worth the 20?

I doubt you can find any other 4-port (I'm guessing) routers quite
as cheap as that, though the 1-port from Ebuyer was 19.99 about 15
months ago, and their 4-port was then about 35, if my memory is OK.

Seems a pretty good deal, except for the cost longer term, although
I assume part of the reason for this choice is to get the HH switch
done at minimal cost (still within the 12 months ?) Good luck !

At least the BT deal doesn't lock the router to them, as Wanadoo is
seeming to do with their wireless unit... "unlock fees" ! yuk !!
I guess after 12 months you'll switch to a cheaper ISP for a small
migration fee...

I've a 1000' of cat5 cable and some of the faceplates to go on the
walls if you are interested... sorry, cable is not white, but would
be fairly cheap - looks like all my clients are wanting wireless so
my stocks for wired links will stay mostly on the shelf now ! Peter

--
My clients can call for free...
More info... http://web.vfm-deals.com/phone/
Old August 18th 04, 10:44 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Beck

"Peter M" wrote in message
[...]

Not sure if it is a 4 port router actually. Finally saw on the website that
they give out the speedtouch 330 router, which only has one ethernet port and a
usb connection.
Going with BTyahoo has nothing to do with Home highway. I am no longer under
contract but am just happy with BT at the moment. Been with them a long time
and see little reason to change.

Old August 19th 04, 12:20 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
poster

On 18 Aug 2004 in uk.telecom.broadband, "Beck" wrote:

Going with BTyahoo has nothing to do with Home highway. I am no
longer under contract but am just happy with BT at the moment.
Been with them a long time and see little reason to change.

My mistake re BT and doesn't a year fly by! I am quite surprised
the router is a single port, but you should find a 4-port Netgear
or similar hub on Ebay. You might need some patch leads - I think
a number of ADSL routers come with one RJ45 cable but you will be
needing a long extension to another PC. I saw a couple of items :

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...tem=5715212259
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...tem=5714885145

First is a 10/100 unit, and the place sells leads quite cheap,
while the second is just a 4-port hub (nice small unit, I have
one here somewhere) with low delivery, unlike some others! PGM

Depends on account that is opened by new customer, but good value ISP IMO.
Old August 19th 04, 12:48 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Beck

"poster" wrote in message
On 18 Aug 2004 in uk.telecom.broadband, "Beck" wrote:

Going with BTyahoo has nothing to do with Home highway. I am no
longer under contract but am just happy with BT at the moment.
Been with them a long time and see little reason to change.

My mistake re BT and doesn't a year fly by! I am quite surprised
the router is a single port, but you should find a 4-port Netgear
or similar hub on Ebay. You might need some patch leads - I think
a number of ADSL routers come with one RJ45 cable but you will be
needing a long extension to another PC. I saw a couple of items :

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...tem=5715212259
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...tem=5714885145

First is a 10/100 unit, and the place sells leads quite cheap,
while the second is just a 4-port hub (nice small unit, I have
one here somewhere) with low delivery, unlike some others! PGM

Thanks for the links. I have loads of straight through RJ45 cables, so I just
need a little hub. A router is not an option at the moment, so a cheap hub will
suffice till the new year. The Netgear 4 port hub looks okay, has enough ports
and is a trusted name.

Old August 20th 04, 12:50 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Stephen Stewart

"Beck" wrote in message

"Peter M" wrote in message
[...]

Actually it's a SpeedTouch 530 not a 330 and it's an absolute doddle to set
up.

I'm not sure what the full RRP is although they're available online for
around 60.

It has a built in hardware firewall that's extremely secure and I had
intended to buy a firewall separately if I'd just got the ordinary modem.

Ethernet is a much better way to connect to your PC for a number of reasons
and ethernet cards are so cheap now that it seems daft not to get one (I
bought a brand new one online a few weeks ago for under 6 inc. VAT/delivery
etc).

Overall pretty good value for 20 which is why I took the option even though
I've no intention of connecting a console.

Here's the full spec. if you're interested.

http://www.dslsupport.co.uk/download...tasheet530.pdf

Stephen

Old August 20th 04, 12:58 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Beck

"Stephen Stewart" wrote in message
Actually it's a SpeedTouch 530 not a 330 and it's an absolute doddle to set
up.

I'm not sure what the full RRP is although they're available online for
around 60.

It has a built in hardware firewall that's extremely secure and I had
intended to buy a firewall separately if I'd just got the ordinary modem.

Ethernet is a much better way to connect to your PC for a number of reasons
and ethernet cards are so cheap now that it seems daft not to get one (I
bought a brand new one online a few weeks ago for under 6 inc. VAT/delivery
etc).

Overall pretty good value for 20 which is why I took the option even though
I've no intention of connecting a console.

Here's the full spec. if you're interested.

http://www.dslsupport.co.uk/download...tasheet530.pdf

Thankyou Stephen. Can you tell me please, how many ports does it have? If it
is only two, then it would be no use for my gaming as I have 2 pc's to connect
to it. I cannot seem to find the information on that pdf file.
Also, on the specs, it says it comes with usb cable aswell as ethernet cable.
What would I need the usb for?

Old August 20th 04, 02:42 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
poster

On 20 Aug 2004 in uk.telecom.broadband, "Beck" wrote:

Can you tell me please, how many ports does it have? If it is
only two, then it would be no use for my gaming as I have 2 pc's
to connect to it. I cannot seem to find the information

At the top of page 11 it says the 530 has a single 10/100 port.
Plugged into a 4-port hub like the Netgear unit, you'd have 3
ports to use for PCs, or need a larger number of ports on hub
or switch to be able to share with more devices.

Also, on the specs, it says it comes with usb cable aswell
as ethernet cable. What would I need the usb for?

You may never need to use the USB, but for someone with no
ethernet socket (eg a laptop with USB + CD-ROM) it would be
able to support their use. All of the routers (4 or 5) that
I own have USB but that socket has never been used by me :-)
Old August 20th 04, 06:12 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Beck

"poster" wrote in message
On 20 Aug 2004 in uk.telecom.broadband, "Beck" wrote:

Can you tell me please, how many ports does it have? If it is
only two, then it would be no use for my gaming as I have 2 pc's
to connect to it. I cannot seem to find the information

At the top of page 11 it says the 530 has a single 10/100 port.
Plugged into a 4-port hub like the Netgear unit, you'd have 3
ports to use for PCs, or need a larger number of ports on hub
or switch to be able to share with more devices.

Also, on the specs, it says it comes with usb cable aswell
as ethernet cable. What would I need the usb for?

You may never need to use the USB, but for someone with no
ethernet socket (eg a laptop with USB + CD-ROM) it would be
able to support their use. All of the routers (4 or 5) that
I own have USB but that socket has never been used by me :-)

Thanks Poster, I do not think I will get this one then as theres no point in a
one box solution if I am going to add extra gear to it. Also a hub is going to
be around 15 so I may as well pay the extra for the 4 port router.

Old August 20th 04, 07:29 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Stephen Stewart

"Beck" wrote in message

[...]

Thankyou Stephen.

No problem.

Can you tell me please, how many ports does it have? If it
is only two, then it would be no use for my gaming as I have 2 pc's to

connect
to it. I cannot seem to find the information on that pdf file.
Also, on the specs, it says it comes with usb cable aswell as ethernet

cable.
What would I need the usb for?

One ethernet and one USB.

BT supply the device for it's games package where supposedly the PC is
connected via USB and either a PS2 or X-box via the ethernet port.

I have the PC connected via ethernet and the USB is unused.

Stephen