Can I put an order in before 6th September?

Old August 18th 04, 11:20 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Miffed

Default Can I put an order in before 6th September?

I got turned down for broadband last year, and the checker at bt wholesale
still says I'm too far away.

Anyway, just wondering if I have to:

a) wait until the 6th before I can put in an order with my ISP of choice

b) put in an order a few days beforehand to make sure I get it as close to
the 6th as possible

c) put in an order now and see if it's accepted?

It's not that I'm overly keen, it's just that my dial-up a/c rolls round on
the 2nd of the month, and I don't want to pay for a months access when I'd
only need the first few days of it. I clearly need some overlap though.

I was also going to ask for opinions on a good ISP, but I would prefer to
have my above question answered rather than see the thread purely turn into
another best ISP debate.

Oh, sod it....

I'm looking for low pings, decent newsgroup access, no restrictions on p2p
use, at least 3 email addresses (preferably with an optional filter and
accessable by webmail) and reasonably cheap with no connection fee. I
already have a modem and filters as Freeserve forgot to ask for theirs back
after I got turned down by BT last year and the BB trial period got aborted.

Old August 18th 04, 11:25 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Andy M Jenkins

Miffed wrote:

c) put in an order now and see if it's accepted?

Do this, with one of the ISPs that have announced they are accepting
pre-orders given todays news.

Plusnet, Zen, Eclipse and NDO have all announced their accepting
advanced orders *now*.

Couple of articles on Bug (see sig), plus the obligatory other sites
like AG, ISPR et al

--
Regards
Andy M Jenkins
Old August 19th 04, 12:24 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
poster

On 18 Aug 2004 in uk.telecom.broadband, "Kráftéé" wrote:

As for the free connection fee....
Well as I said you've got some serious shopping around to do..

True... I suppose someone could get a free connection and short
contract from ISP 'A' and then migrate to ISP 'B' at lower cost
than most charge for setup. I know which I'd suggest for 'B'
but not sure which can be identified as 'A' and none for the
whole list of the OP's requirements I can think of... Peter.

Depends on account that is opened by new customer, but good value ISP IMO.
Old August 19th 04, 01:00 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Miffed

"poster" wrote in message
On 18 Aug 2004 in uk.telecom.broadband, "Kráftéé" wrote:

As for the free connection fee....
Well as I said you've got some serious shopping around to do..

True... I suppose someone could get a free connection and short
contract from ISP 'A' and then migrate to ISP 'B' at lower cost
than most charge for setup. I know which I'd suggest for 'B'
but not sure which can be identified as 'A' and none for the
whole list of the OP's requirements I can think of... Peter.

Depends on account that is opened by new customer, but good value ISP IMO.

Ok, so the null setup cost is a bit wishful, but the rest still stands. I'd
be particularly unhappy about capping, but I'm not sure whether my
requirements would put me as a particularly heavy user. I'm not planning to
download movies or download 24-7, but a fair bit of music and streamed
radio, as well as the odd game demo is definitely on the agenda. I'll be
limited to 512 I think, so I can't go mad anyways.

Old August 19th 04, 01:19 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Kráftéé

Miffed wrote:

I'm looking for low pings, decent newsgroup access, no restrictions
on p2p use, at least 3 email addresses (preferably with an optional
filter and accessable by webmail) and reasonably cheap with no
connection fee.

You'll have to shop around to find something to fit all that, most ISP's are
capping on at least some if not all their services, a lot have restrictions
for P2P (sharing copyrite material) in their TOC & all have had problems
with their news servers, but some are a lot better than others, whilst
others are improving in leaps 7 bounds. As for the free connection

Old August 19th 04, 09:09 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Black Shuck

Miffed wrote:
"poster" wrote in message

[...]

I know Plusnet are are taking pre-orders, they are a pretty good ISP,
have served me well, no caps, or restrictions, they do however have a
setup fee. I think Eclipse also meet the same requirements and also
charge a setup fee, so it's pretty much the same.

If you do decide on Plusnet, I would appreciate it if you use my referal
code: mgillespie

Cheers.

--
"This dog don't give a feck..."
Old August 19th 04, 11:48 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
poster

On 19 Aug 2004 in uk.telecom.broadband, "Miffed" wrote:

I'd be particularly unhappy about capping, but I'm not sure whether my
requirements would put me as a particularly heavy user. I'm not planning
to download movies or download 24-7, but a fair bit of music and streamed
radio, as well as the odd game demo is definitely on the agenda. I'll be
limited to 512 I think, so I can't go mad anyways.

I'm looking for low pings, decent newsgroup access, no restrictions on p2p
use, at least 3 email addresses (preferably with an optional filter and
accessable by webmail) and reasonably cheap with no connection fee. I
already have a modem and filters as Freeserve forgot to ask for theirs back
after I got turned down by BT last year and the BB trial period got aborted.

I don't think some of the extra features you're after are included in any
search tools (for example, I know there are multiple mail accounts on Zen,
but don't know how many, TBH). Capping is still easy to avoid, so not an
issue IMO. You could do worse than use http://groups.google.com/ to be
able to look back at comments regarding good/bad views on news services
from different ISPs.

PlusNet has made major improvements to their news service in the last few
months - you can sign up online for an 0845 a/c and take a look at whether
they have groups you want (I expect them to, as they list 61000+ but also,
you could compare with Claranet. Clara is more costly, but has very good
mail filtering (see http://home.clara.net/steve/filters/ and they offer
mail in a similar way to PlusNet/Freeserve eg or able
to make different addresses like
) FreeUK.net
is a cheaper option than Claranet but offers access to their news service
(but with a 10 GB download limit each month, as that's important to you).

I've not used Claranet's ADSL but know users on FreeUK and myself use PN
for newsgroups and stream audio a lot of the time... Check out the news
services and see about comments from other ISPs - some seem to outsource
the news to US-based services so as not to have everything "in house".

Old August 19th 04, 12:47 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
PlusNet Support Team

On Wed, 18 Aug 2004 22:20:29 +0100, Miffed wrote:

[...]

Hi,

If your line currently outside of the limits then we or any other ISP
can't place an order until September 6th because BT Wholesale systems
won't be ready until then and will reject it. To avoid any complications I
would recommend waiting until the 6th to actually place an order, and the
ADSL service should be active around the 13th. There is a higher chance
than normal that the service won't work from the start and a BT engineer
visit may be required to fix a line fault or install a new face plate so I
would recommend keeping your dial-up account until you know it works.

With Regards,

Dave,
Old August 19th 04, 02:44 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Andy M Jenkins

PlusNet Support Team wrote:

To avoid any complications I would recommend waiting until the 6th to
actually place an order,

Hi Dave,

This goes against the concept of Plusnet accepting advance orders for
the 6th Sept, doesnt it ?

Old August 19th 04, 07:49 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Black Shuck

Andy M Jenkins wrote:
PlusNet Support Team wrote:

To avoid any complications I would recommend waiting until the 6th to

actually place an order,

Hi Dave,

This goes against the concept of Plusnet accepting advance orders for
the 6th Sept, doesnt it ?

I assume they are willing to take orders, but like everyone else, will
sit on them until the 6th, just a free way to cash in on the bonanza...

--
"This dog don't give a feck..."