odd adsl behavoir has me stumped

Old August 19th 04, 05:04 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Kráftéé

Default odd adsl behavoir has me stumped

jas wrote:
i setup adsl for a small office and at first it seemed to work fine
- it died after a day or so and then came back up semingly on it
own.

sometimes the connection is up and router says should be working
but i cant resolve dns at all - i can ping out beyond router
(sometimes) to an ip address but other times it gives network
unreachable - it really is intermittant and doesnt seem to have a
pattern - ive tried fixed ip's/dns to rule out dns on router and
confirmed correct dns with clara the isp and all the router
settings, etc

anyway to cut a long story short so far ive:-

replaced the speedtouch 510 router with a netgear dg814 - same
problems replaced the filter, twice - same
replaced dsl cables - same

taken all systems of and plugged into router with known working
laptop and sometimes connection is there and internet is speedy,
sometimes not at all and still sometimes that odd 'can ping ip
address but not an internet address or get to the 'web'

the isp is clara and they dont seem to know whats up either and have
asked bt to go to replace the card in the exchange as they said one
of the tests showed a loop back loss of 60 or higher and they said
if was like that on day of install usually bt would not have let it
go through - it is likely to be this making it all so intermitant?

ive setup loads of adsl setups before and usually they either work
or dont but ive never had one as intermittant as this - at first
thought was a problem with virus as one of the office laptops
turned out to be well infested but they are all confirmed clean and
patched to date now

anyway - totally confused about it and wondering if anyone else has
seen this odd behavoir

Self install or engineer installed?? Either way you appear to be in need of
an engineering visit, which Clara should arrange not you. Next time it's
working try to accrss any diagnostic pages your router may have, paying
particular interest to your SNR

Old August 19th 04, 08:12 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
jas

In article ,
says...
jas wrote:
[...]

its wires only - the routers dont seem to have much in the way of diag's
- im taking yet another shiny new one out with me today (linksys wag54g
- wireless side disabled) just to be seen to be doing something until bt
have confirmed they've looked at the exchange side of things which
hopefully will be this morning

which routers have a good diag on them as I could do with carring one
around with me for just this sort of problem - ive seen mention of the
vigor 2600 series having this facility, any others?

regards

jas
Old August 19th 04, 04:30 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
poster

On 19 Aug 2004 in uk.telecom.broadband, jas wrote:

the routers dont seem to have much in the way of diag's

The Dabsvalue router I bought ~27 months ago has a diagnostic test
built in, and a display of connection status (part shown below)

ADSL Startup Attempts: 1
Elaspsed Time: 0 days 2 hours 29 minutes 16 seconds
Downstream Upstream
SNR Margin 24.8 26.0 dB
Line Attenuation 34.6 23.0 dB
Errored Seconds 3 0
Loss of Signal 0 0
Loss of Frame 0 0
CRC Errors 3 0
Data Rate 2272 288 kbps
Latency FAST FAST

The cheapo Ebuyer routers I bought ~15 months ago do have figures
for SNR etc but only via the Telnet interface, not the web GUI.
I don't see any diagnostics on the Netgear DG814 sitting here
and it doesn't seem to offer telnet access (it is here because
it worked for under 7 days then the ADSL modem failed) but does
have the dubious addition of a domain blocker :-)

Sometimes cheap offers more useful facilities :-) Peter M.

Depends on account that is opened by new customer, but good value ISP IMO.