ADSL - more than 1 simultaneous connection?

Old August 19th 04, 01:46 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Alastair

Default ADSL - more than 1 simultaneous connection?

"Mark Graves" wrote in message
Hi,
If I have broadband installed and purchase 2 USB modems, plug them in
to 2 laptops and have them connected to 2 different sockets in the
house, can they both access the Internet at the same time?

No.

If not, how would you switch between the users?

Get a router instead. Plug each PC into the router
and off you go.

Old August 19th 04, 01:53 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Trent SC

Hi,
If I have broadband installed and purchase 2 USB modems, plug them in
to 2 laptops and have them connected to 2 different sockets in the
house, can they both access the Internet at the same time?

No.

If not, how would you switch between the users?

Get a router instead. Plug each PC into the router
and off you go.

Or use ICS if you don't want to buy more hardware (but the router is a more
robust solution).

Old August 19th 04, 01:57 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Dave Stanton

Or use ICS if you don't want to buy more hardware (but the router is a more
robust solution).

And can be a lot less hassle as well.

Dave

Old August 19th 04, 02:55 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Trent SC

Or use ICS if you don't want to buy more hardware (but the router is a
more
robust solution).

And can be a lot less hassle as well.

Agreed, but let's not forget that some would prefer a minor hassle (I've
never experienced ICS as more than that) over spending more money they might
not have.

Old August 19th 04, 05:26 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Dave Stanton

And can be a lot less hassle as well.

Agreed, but let's not forget that some would prefer a minor hassle (I've
never experienced ICS as more than that) over spending more money they might
not have.

Experiences vary, agreed.

Dave

Old August 20th 04, 11:16 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Beck

"Trent SC" wrote in message
Or use ICS if you don't want to buy more hardware (but the router is a

more
robust solution).

And can be a lot less hassle as well.

Agreed, but let's not forget that some would prefer a minor hassle (I've
never experienced ICS as more than that) over spending more money they might
not have.

ICS is usually a doddle to setup. The only time I have had problems getting it
to work was when a friend installed the XP service pack 2 Beta and messed it up.
He called me to ask me to sort out his network. The service pack had totally
messed up the network. Even uninstalling and reinstalling ICS failed miserably.
Spent 4 hrs trying to set it up then all of a sudden it just worked - with the
settings I had originally tried. It was a really weird scenario but fortunately
it fixed in time.

Old August 20th 04, 01:22 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
lurch

On Fri, 20 Aug 2004 09:16:34 +0000 (UTC), "Beck"
strung together this:

ICS is usually a doddle to setup.

Hmm.... depends on which angle you look at it from. Anything involving
Windows is a nightmare to setup.
--

SJW
A.C.S. Ltd
Old August 22nd 04, 02:56 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
neuro

Lurch wrote:
On Fri, 20 Aug 2004 09:16:34 +0000 (UTC), "Beck"
strung together this:

ICS is usually a doddle to setup.

Hmm.... depends on which angle you look at it from. Anything involving
Windows is a nightmare to setup.

I got ICS working in minutes the back seat of a car in a traffic jam on the
M25 last month: Centrino laptop - [ad-hoc wifi] - Centrino laptop running
ICS - [bluetooth] - Nokia mobile - [GSM] - Freeserve. While I might be
an MCSE, it's for NT 4.0 and I've only ever set up ICS once before in me life.

It really is as simple as enabling TCP/IP on all the machines on the network
(which is Windows default networking state), enabling ICS and Windows
Firewall (or some other favoured firewall product) on the machine with the
Internet connection, then telling all else to use DHCP.

--
_ __/| William Anderson | Brodie: The Force is strong with this one
\`O_o' neuro at well dot com | Jay: Dude, don't encourage him