ADSL - more than 1 simultaneous connection?

Old August 19th 04, 02:52 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
sean

Default ADSL - more than 1 simultaneous connection?

Mark Graves wrote:

Hi,
If I have broadband installed and purchase 2 USB modems, plug them in
to 2 laptops and have them connected to 2 different sockets in the
house, can they both access the Internet at the same time? If not, how
would you switch between the users?

As mentioned, a router is a very good idea. How much you willing to spend?

This router is a very good bit of kit

With some patch cables going to each PC:

or

Or if you wish to spend less on hardware, you can get a switch
(http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/produ...duct_uid=63777)
to connect the two laptops, and then you must turn on ICS on one laptop, and keep it on
to have the other one to access the net.

Or even cheaper, just get a crosswire cable from one laptop to the other, once again the
one with ICS must be on.

The best option is the router, it gives more security to PC, and means you can put any
laptop on and use it.

There are other options, if you wish to move about with the laptops you could consider
wireless connection, more expensive though, and I have not used it myself much. Just
recently installed for a relative.

sean.